scared to break shield

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, on two occasions today i have passed the 2000 point plateau on simulator only to be simultaneously beaten back down to 1960ish. i've also won a match that gave me less points than it said and i ended up at 1999.

i'm currently at 1971, and i really don't want to break shield to try and win the one match i'll need to go over 2000 (again). chances are i'll pick a match for 40 and get 28. or get hit by 3 guys while i'm playing my match and get busted down to 1950.

isn't this supposed to be fun? this isn't fun. can we get pvp fix please?

you shouldn't be able to be attacked by more than 1 person at a time. there also needs to be some sort of temporary shield when you start a match. if you are attacked when you are playing your score and any rewards you get should take precedence before any simultaneous losses. it'd also be nice to take a 30 point match and get 30. not 19...

Comments

• Those are ideas that put customers first. All great. None are on the DEV radar.
  • jredd
    just broke a shield for a 39 point match. won. 11 points....

just wow...
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    edited September 2015
    If I remember correctly, the points shown are generated at the time that you "draw" and opponent and don't change. So, for example, if you shielded and had an opponent worth 39, but in the meantime they lost a bunch of points that would explain why they were worth 11.

In order to get around this, you have to draw up some more recent matches. I'm not sure if there's a certain number that get queued up all at once, but I think that might be the case.

So, if you skip some opponents right before breaking shield, you should start seeing people with updated point totals and you'll be much more likely to get a number of points closer to their stated value when you beat them.

Hope that helps. Some other people might know the specific details better. You'll definitely hit that 2k mark before the season's over though, so good luck!

P.S. I agree it's incredibly annoying and there should probably be a "refresh point value" button somewhere so you can find out what an opponent is actually worth at a given point in time.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    jredd wrote:

just wow...

Lots of people in Sim climb to 2k and don't shield. Unless you specifically know otherwise that your opponent shielded, you don't want to be unshielding to hit old queue targets. Cycle through 8-10 Skips before you break shield and find fresh targets.
  • jredd
    mouser wrote:
    jredd wrote:

just wow...

Lots of people in Sim climb to 2k and don't shield. Unless you specifically know otherwise that your opponent shielded, you don't want to be unshielding to hit old queue targets. Cycle through 8-10 Skips before you break shield and find fresh targets.

i had just skipped that node several times to come up with that match.

also, my team isn't good enough to hit 2000 before i get pummelled. only have 3 characters at 166.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    jredd wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    jredd wrote:

just wow...

also, my team isn't good enough to hit 2000 before i get pummelled. only have 3 characters at 166.

If you can try playing at an odd time. Late or early.
  • yup you gotta skip before you fight, cant just have a match sitting there for any amount of time and expect full value

though how anyone is expected to know this without the forums, I dont know

also it is frustrating as all hell and still happens even on a fresh skip from time to time, but not nearly as often

Why you arent allowed to get your retals for full points no matter when you fight them, I dont know
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    nwman wrote:

Definitely this. If you're in the US, try playing after midnight, or at 5am for your last few matches to 2K. Minimises the risk of incoming fire.
  • jredd
    success! that was actually stressful. i'm way too addicted to this game...
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    and queue up multiple fresh targets
  • jredd
    morph3us wrote:
    nwman wrote:

Definitely this. If you're in the US, try playing after midnight, or at 5am for your last few matches to 2K. Minimises the risk of incoming fire.

yeah. i woke up and hour early today (4:30) and got 5 matches in without being attacked or countered. not going to do that too often though.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    jredd wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    jredd wrote:

just wow...

The game seems to download batches of players for your queues in increments of somewhere around 8-10. That means it is possible to do a few skips and still get an old stale point value opponent. 10 skips should be enough to make sure you download a new fresh batch of queues from my experience.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    there is serious lag between what actually happens real time and the correction getting to the server and correct values getting to the number in the queue. this is why you get a window for your pushes. my experience is that pvp (including sim) is all about getting/maximizing your 'hovering' level where you can basically hang with a minimum of hits. then at the opportune time make your push as fast as possible. people queuing you up still see your lower score number and by the time it refreshes to the actual current value (making you a fatter target), hopefully your push is done and you're shielded, or in the case of sim you've already hit your 2K. its an art determining what that level is. overshoot and you come out of a match to -100. its frustrating to undershoot and have no hits come in, but to me its better to be safe than sorry. personally my hovering point when I have strong boosteds/featured is around 700 and I can actually get well into the 900s and if I can queue up high pt nodes, even 1K before I drop first shield. when they are weaker (like this week, especially for punpun), is more likely in the 500s, so will take much more to get to 1K (sometimes can only push into the mid 800s) and while I added a 3/8 set of shields for extra hops for flaptain, not sure Elektra is worth it, but we'll see how it goes. I need an hp sale, then I wouldn't worry about extra hops as much.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    So no one has asked this question yet. You already passed 2k which means you got the Antman cover. Why are you trying to shield when there are almost 12 days left in the season?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    There seems to be many players including myself who fell victim to the dreaded 1999 points.. How is it possible that so many players have experienced this?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    woopie wrote:
    So no one has asked this question yet. You already passed 2k which means you got the Antman cover. Why are you trying to shield when there are almost 12 days left in the season?

The OP hit 2000 but was hit before the match ended so he didn't win the Ant-Man cover when he posted this.