2 questions - 1PVP, 1PVE

TxMoose
TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
PVE:

I frequent the bracket size thread and many times those that flip fresh quickly fill with very experienced players, making it kind of a crapshoot for how hard it will be to place. if you join pre-event, are those brackets generally easier or the same for placement? I don't mind starting at the beginning if its not a 7-day. Just wondering if its easier or the same - can't imagine top end would be harder than the immediate 50-100 slots that fill with forumites when one flips fresh.

PVP:

why do the underlying nodes reset when you're hit. last night I climbed to something just over my 'hovering' level and I lined up 3 good nodes to start my big push this morning. as expected I got hit a few times overnight and the yellow node that I had under the retal reset to really **** ones. I try to line things up ahead of time to at least give them a chance to climb/shield - more points in the system the better. but, if its all gonna reset overnight anyway i'll stop doing that the night before.

thanks.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVE: joining pre-game as i call it, is what myself, and others i know, do for events we are just farming iso and tokens. So if it is not a new release, and you want placement, pre-register.. you will get a bracket with loads of lazy vets just farming iso and holding back to let people who need covers get them. (even lazy farming i still end up t150 somehow when i pre-register)

PVP:
    Only line up good fights if you are shielded, because if you finish a retal node, or skip it, the fight you had lined up may be shielded now, and no longer in the pool. If you do it while shielded, you do not get retal nodes, so the fights stay as you set them.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    PVE: joining pre-game as i call it, is what myself, and others i know, do for events we are just farming iso and tokens. So if it is not a new release, and you want placement, pre-register.. you will get a bracket with loads of lazy vets just farming iso and holding back to let people who need covers get them. (even lazy farming i still end up t150 somehow when i pre-register)

What are your experiences when you do this for a new character event? I always join as soon as the time slot goes live to maximize my play time and score and it's getting harder and harder with each event to place high this way. I'm looking to change things up, but I'm not willing to take the risk and join late. Pre-registering seems to be the only option. I assumed all the crazy people who just can't wait to start grinding are the ones pre-registering so I've been avoiding that.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    well, I think you also get the casual player that thinks oh, there's a new event, joining is what I'm supposed to do. I'm more curious specifically for this release event coming up. weekends I don't have time to monitor the forum for fresh brackets and as long as it isn't a 7-day, I don't mind starting at the beginning. just wondering what to expect.
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    i've also wondered the same regarding PVE. i typically jump into the second S2 bracket that opens, and it's usually very competitive. but for the falcap release, i decided to pre-register in S2 and and managed 15th. after the event ended i saw a slew of screenshots of the other brackets, the pre-registered S2 one had higher scores than anything else i saw (including my normal S2 bracket that opened maybe an hour or so after the event started) and my score could have handily gotten T10 elsewhere.

i don't have much historical data to go by, and who knows how useful it would be with the craziness that is a 4* release PVEs, but i thought i could maybe avoid some of those guys i'm used to seeing who can grind to perfection....didn't seem to help! my guess is it's a **** shoot w/ the 4*, but would be very curious if anyone has more experience experimenting with brackets!
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    TxMoose wrote:
    well, I think you also get the casual player that thinks oh, there's a new event, joining is what I'm supposed to do. I'm more curious specifically for this release event coming up. weekends I don't have time to monitor the forum for fresh brackets and as long as it isn't a 7-day, I don't mind starting at the beginning. just wondering what to expect.

i think it's a mix of the casual and the hardcore, but there are enough hardcore players to keep anyone not really pushing well out of T100. in my experience with falcap, it seemed like there were 100+ people who were doing perfect clears and grinding pretty optimally for the first 2 or 3 days of the event (or at least that was my assumption just watching how my placement fluctuated pre and post clear)
  • PVE Question: I honestly don't think it's predictable, because you're at the mercy of 999 other players and how dedicated they are to grinding for placement.

I tend to join the same slice at the same time of day roughly, (my last break during the work day), each event, and it's just completely random if Im in a destroyer bracket or a casual one.

I do know the two times I jumped in at event -start- time they both went poorly for me placement wise.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

What are your experiences when you do this for a new character event? I always join as soon as the time slot goes live to maximize my play time and score and it's getting harder and harder with each event to place high this way. I'm looking to change things up, but I'm not willing to take the risk and join late. Pre-registering seems to be the only option. I assumed all the crazy people who just can't wait to start grinding are the ones pre-registering so I've been avoiding that.

new chars, i choose the 5pm EST bracket (so i can play until the bell at work), but i never pre-register. I join around 7pm EST (2 hours after event starts, takes me an hour to drive home, and another to eat dinner etc..), i almost ALWAYS get a relatively fresh bracket, and never miss T100, with 2x T10's and many T20's.

2 clears before bed. All nodes back to full by 10am EST. Clear again, then by 2:30 they are close enough that i grind down until i leave work if i am able. Since this one is on the weekend as well.. i clear as i can. I am trying NOT to live my life around the game much anymore, so i will settle for T100 on reed, i dont even want him, but will need him for essentials..