Forum character creation Part V (write ins needed)

Phaserhawk
Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This isn't going to be a poll. I need everyone to write in an idea for a black, blue, and yellow skill.

Based on what everyone inputs I'll try to sum up, extrapolate and adjust to get the skills into poll form later.

I don't need you to lay out from lvl 1 to 5, just a general idea for example.

Black 10 AP-Deals 10K, stuns your other teammates for 2 turns
Blue (passive) - As long as you have 5 in one color, anytime you match that color add one more AP
Yellow 14--Destroy the entire outside border dealing 7500 dmg then creates 3 random invisibility tiles that hide only this character

I took your idea of a 4* Hood Malcrof and ran with it, but again this is all what I would like to see, everyone else please feel free to pick your own and we'll vote on skills. Once the hit point poll closes I'll know if this character is support or tank or bruiser etc level and can adjust or pick skills that would fit the character.

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yellow 10 ap: Create 3 yellow countdowns tiles (3 turn), each does 100 (increases with level) damage to the target per tick.
    2: 4 turns
    3: 4 Countdowns
    4: 5 turns
    5: 5 Countdowns

Black(passive):
    Steals 1 AP from the enemies most filled AP pool if there are 12 or more black tiles on the board.
    Level 2: Steals 1 if there are 8 black tiles on the board.
    Level 3:Always steals 1.
    Level 4:Always steals 1, and a second if there are 12 black tiles on the board.
    Level 5:Always steals 1, and a second if there are 8 black tiles on the board.

Blue 10 ap: Duplicate one random countdown in a random location
    Level 2: 2 countdowns duplicated
    3: 3 countdowns duplicated
    4: 4 duplicated
    5: 5 duplicated

Blue could be a nightmare fighting him on some PvE goon nodes. icon_twisted.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Your OP didn't really say which character we were designing... so unless we are supposed to be designing a 4* Hood (as you briefly mentioned), then the following applies:

Shouldn't the abilities be based on the character?

I mean, you can't just jumble three random abilities together and call it a day.

See what I did in this thread for examples:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31920

60 different abilities for 20 different NES universe characters.
    156 class abilities for FFPQ, 56 character abilities, and 18 different abilities for 6 boss monsters.

...but my process for creating a character was never to just cobble together colors and powers.

I always started by picking a character to create. Then I thought about what made that character unique, I started with a basic idea of what colors defined that character. Then I created moves that tried to capture the uniqueness of the character and tied them to the in-game mechanics of a puzzle quest. After that, if I wasn't happy with the redflag.png assigned to the ability, I would either tweak the ability, give it a new color, or scrap it in favor of something that better reflected the character.

Otherwise you get something like this:

The Cobbled One
    4 Star Rarity (legendary)
    At Max Level: HP: 15974 Tile Damage: 64/12/73/09/11/82/3.5x

Skills at max level:
    Requiem 7 blacktile.png AP
    Randomly place a 2 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 1,475 damage.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Randomly place a 2 turn Requiem CD
    blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 1,750 damage.
    Level 3: Randomly place a 2 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 2,350 damage.
    Level 4: Randomly place a 1 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 2,650 damage.
    Level 5: Randomly place a 1 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 3,150 damage.

Shirahadori (passive)
    This character has a natural ability to evade enemy attacks. Has a 10% chance of avoiding damage from any source.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Has a 15% chance of avoiding damage from any source. Level 3: Has a 20% chance of avoiding damage from any source. Level 4: Has a 25% chance of avoiding damage from any source. Level 5: Has a 30% chance of avoiding damage from any source.

Phoenix Pinion 11 yellowtile.png AP
    Revive a downed character with 30% health.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Revive a downed character with 35% health. Level 3: Revive a downed character with 40% health. Level 4: Revive a downed character with 45% health. Level 5: Revive a downed character with 50% health.

Sure, the ability to do more damage based on the number of downed characters and the ability to revive downed characters match, but they also contradict. Add in that blue passive and you've got a character who you don't want to leave until the end of the match, but who doesn't really have a proper feel.

Who is this character? What is his connection to the dead that he can both bring people back to life and cause more damage the more dead people there are? Why does he have the unique ability to avoid damage from any source?

I don't know. I just threw together three random abilities in the right colors from the Bard, Samurai, and Alchemist classes. I'm sure there is like an undead/priest/phantom character somewhere in the marvel universe that would make sense... but isn't it better to pick a character to design rather than picking abilities to randomly assign to a character?
  • Phaserhawk
    Buret0 wrote:
    Your OP didn't really say which character we were designing... so unless we are supposed to be designing a 4* Hood (as you briefly mentioned), then the following applies:

Shouldn't the abilities be based on the character?

I mean, you can't just jumble three random abilities together and call it a day.

See what I did in this thread for examples:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31920

60 different abilities for 20 different NES universe characters.
    156 class abilities for FFPQ, 56 character abilities, and 18 different abilities for 6 boss monsters.

...but my process for creating a character was never to just cobble together colors and powers.

I always started by picking a character to create. Then I thought about what made that character unique, I started with a basic idea of what colors defined that character. Then I created moves that tried to capture the uniqueness of the character and tied them to the in-game mechanics of a puzzle quest. After that, if I wasn't happy with the redflag.png assigned to the ability, I would either tweak the ability, give it a new color, or scrap it in favor of something that better reflected the character.

Otherwise you get something like this:

The Cobbled One
    4 Star Rarity (legendary)
    At Max Level: HP: 15974 Tile Damage: 64/12/73/09/11/82/3.5x

Skills at max level:
    Requiem 7 blacktile.png AP
    Randomly place a 2 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 1,475 damage.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Randomly place a 2 turn Requiem CD
    blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 1,750 damage.
    Level 3: Randomly place a 2 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 2,350 damage.
    Level 4: Randomly place a 1 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 2,650 damage.
    Level 5: Randomly place a 1 turn Requiem CD blacktile.png tile for every downed character. When the CD reaches 0, deal 3,150 damage.

Shirahadori (passive)
    This character has a natural ability to evade enemy attacks. Has a 10% chance of avoiding damage from any source.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Has a 15% chance of avoiding damage from any source. Level 3: Has a 20% chance of avoiding damage from any source. Level 4: Has a 25% chance of avoiding damage from any source. Level 5: Has a 30% chance of avoiding damage from any source.

Phoenix Pinion 11 yellowtile.png AP
    Revive a downed character with 30% health.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Revive a downed character with 35% health. Level 3: Revive a downed character with 40% health. Level 4: Revive a downed character with 45% health. Level 5: Revive a downed character with 50% health.

Sure, the ability to do more damage based on the number of downed characters and the ability to revive downed characters match, but they also contradict. Add in that blue passive and you've got a character who you don't want to leave until the end of the match, but who doesn't really have a proper feel.

Who is this character? What is his connection to the dead that he can both bring people back to life and cause more damage the more dead people there are? Why does he have the unique ability to avoid damage from any source?

I don't know. I just threw together three random abilities in the right colors from the Bard, Samurai, and Alchemist classes. I'm sure there is like an undead/priest/phantom character somewhere in the marvel universe that would make sense... but isn't it better to pick a character to design rather than picking abilities to randomly assign to a character?

No we are not designing 4* hood or maybe? No this is for skill ideas, if the character gets voted massive hit points it would change what gets picked but I just want ideas
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    We still do not have a single character able to use an enemies ability against them.. i want that in the game! (make cyc full blast his own team-mate type thing)

passive - take over x damage, flies into the air, untouchable for x turns, lands, fires an ability. Passive self fastball special type dealio.

strike out - first cast does x damage, char is inivs.. 2nd cast does double damage, 3rd cast triple damage. Would rarely make it to strike 3, because keeping invis tiles alive is hardish for that amount of time, but an ability that gets more powerful the more you cast it is nice.. we know we all love Cage black.. imagine if the 3rd one did even more than the 2nd...

Also, stealing something from Buret on this one.. he created a gambling character in his spec thread.. a character who has abilities randomized by a roll of the dice.. think D&D, a 20 is an instant KO, a 1 is a suicide. in between is anything at all from good to ouch.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:
    We still do not have a single character able to use an enemies ability against them.. i want that in the game! (make cyc full blast his own team-mate type thing).

I came up with a few:

Kirby (Super Smash Bros Melee)
    3 Star Rarity (???)
    Inhale 9 purpletile.png AP
    Kirby inhales the first thing in front of him and copies its abilities. Kirby stuns the enemy for 1 turn and Inhale randomly turns into a copy of one of that enemy's abilities. This ability reverts to Inhale if Kirby takes damage greater than 5% of Kirby's max health.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: 8
    purpletile.png AP. Kirby stuns the enemy for 1 turn and Inhale randomly turns into a copy of one of that enemy's abilities.
    Level 3: 7 purpletile.png AP. Kirby stuns the enemy for 1 turn and Inhale randomly turns into a copy of one of that enemy's abilities.
    Level 4: 6 purpletile.png AP. Kirby stuns the enemy for 1 turn and Inhale randomly turns into a copy of one of that enemy's abilities.
    Level 5: 5 purpletile.png AP. Kirby stuns the enemy for 2 turns and Inhale randomly turns into a copy of one of that enemy's abilities.

Beastmaster
    3 Star Rarity (???)
    !Control 8 bluetile.png AP
    40% chance of inflicting a monster with [Control] status, only a 10% chance against characters.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: 45% chance of inflicting a monster with [Control] status, only a 15% chance against characters. Level 3: 50% chance of inflicting a monster with [Control] status, only a 15% chance against characters. Level 4: 55% chance of inflicting a monster with [Control] status, only a 15% chance against characters. Level 5: 60% chance of inflicting a monster with [Control] status, only a 20% chance against characters.

Any creature inflicted with [Control] status will gather AP for your team and do match and ability damage to the enemy. If an enemy under [Control] status receives damage from any source, it has a 50% chance of clearing the status. While using [Control], your character is stunned. Curing the [Stun] status breaks the [Control]. You gain the benefit of passive abilities that creature or character possesses, but using active abilities still consumes from your own AP pool (however, MP is consumed from the creature or character).

Pictomancer
    3 Star Rarity (???)

!Sketch 5 purpletile.png AP
    Choose a target and an active ability on that target. Consume MP equal to the AP cost of that ability. Randomly place a 3 turn Sketch CD tile on a basic greentile.png tile. When the CD reaches 0, the chosen ability triggers against the enemy. The CD then resets back to 3.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Randomly place a 3 turn Sketch CD tile on a basic
    greentile.png tile. When the CD reaches 0, the chosen ability triggers against the enemy. The CD then resets back to 2.
    Level 3: Randomly place a 2 turn Sketch CD tile on a basic greentile.png tile. When the CD reaches 0, the chosen ability triggers against the enemy. The CD then resets back to 2.
    Level 4: Place a 2 turn Sketch CD tile on a basic greentile.png tile. When the CD reaches 0, the chosen ability triggers against the enemy. The CD then resets back to 2.
    Level 5: Place a 2 turn Sketch CD tile on any basic tile. When the CD reaches 0, the chosen ability triggers against the enemy. The CD then resets back to 2.

...obviously some of the concepts wouldn't work in this game. For the Beastmaster, you would have to replace Monsters with Goons and have them create CD tiles and generate AP on your behalf. For the Pictomancer, you would have to increase the AP cost of using the ability, since MP doesn't exist (I replaced team-up tiles with MP, which does not go to a common pool).

Kirby's Inhale would work in MPQ. None of them allow you to use the enemy's own AP to activate the ability, as that seems OP and would require way too much AP to activate such an ability.
  • Phaserhawk
    I think I may repost this later, I think figuring out what character we are going to do next will make it easier to create a skill set.