Transitioning 2*->3* Help

Unknown
edited September 2015 in Roster and Level Help
I've managed thanks to the help of the community to start to make some progress in my 3* shift. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do, and what to focus on. What I've got to work with now:

3*s on the cusp:
104 Daredevil (4/3/3) - could raise to 127, going to get another red cover today.
104 Loki (2/3/5) - could raise to 127
104 Hulk (5/4 - no Black yet) - could raise to 127
104 Punisher (4/4/1) - could raise to 117
104 GSBW (3/3/3) - could raise to 114
104 Mystique (3/4/1)
102 Falcon (2/4/2)
102 3* Thor (4/2/2) - I think he's my horse to base a team on, but I need another yellow and/or green cover to be better than regular Thor.

2*s maxed
Ares
Daken
Thor
Magneto
Storm
Wolvie
OBW

Others:
91 Sentry (3/2/4) - could raise to 114
94 XF Wolvie (2/1/1)
91 Rocket and Groot (4/2/1)
89 Cyclops (2/3/2)
89 3* Torch (2/2/3)
78 3* Capt. Marvel (2/1/3)
78 3* Magneto (3/1/2)
78 3* Storm (2/1/3)
78 Hood (3/2/1)
76 Doc Oc (1/4, no Black)
66 Kamala Khan (2/2/2) - could raise to 76
66 3* Daken (2/1/2)
66 Doc Doom (1/2/2)
63 Gamora (3/2)
55 Steve Rogers (2/2/1)
55 Blade (2/1/1)
53 Deadpool (2/4/2) - could raise to 102, guess I should just do that.
53 3* IM40 (2/4/2) - could raise to 102
And a myriad of others with 1-4 covers..

Who should I be making teams with to battle in PVP? Who's the best here for PVE? Should I push any of my 104 guys up to their max? Or do none of them make a good enough team that it's worth it for PVE scaling (which I've read about a few dozen times and I'm not 100% clear on why it matters still)?

I've enjoyed using Falcon with Punisher lately on powered up events.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd sit tight for a bit longer if I were you. daredevil works well with Cyclops but can be unreliable. loki is great with 5 green but needs to not be your highest character - others need to tank for him. hulk's main use is his black - now that bp black has loosened and I finally covered him, hulk black is my single most desired/least seen cover - I'm still at only 2. punisher is ok, but has been passed by most all new characters in power. gsbw has a good niche in the game but not a core character. same with mystique and falcon. and your thor is getting there, but not quite yet.

so, my first pair that I pushed high was thor/loki. looks like you might be close to doing the same. they were great when I did it. now they are ok but pretty slow. much of pvp is about speed and that pair is strong - can win many times, but not fast. also, they have a tendency to not boost thor or fist during the season. they were boosted in the offseason here recently, so that is something to consider too. when I maxed thor and used loki in the 140s and 150s, a pure pvp team worked. now with boosteds I think a better strategy is to get a bunch to 120, then 140. then start by maxing a select few. best of your 'others' group include Cyclops, kamala, steve, and mags (and hood when you get more blue). that with thor and loki (and sometimes daredevil) would give you a great core of top tier characters to pull from. been a long time since I've been where you are, so no idea how high you can get, but probably not to the 800 progression and probably struggling to make t100.

since you're probably heavily relying on pve right now I wouldn't level anything above your 104 cap until a little further down the line. 104 was where I capped mine and it worked well - let them play with my ** guys and gave me a big pool to pull from for pve. steve rogers is king against goons - getting to his 5th red is huge. for pvp, I don't see fist in your list - he is by far the best *** now and goes great with big-time black users (panther, cage, Cyclops).

tl/dr - sit tight and keep working on your covers. thor/loki close and would be strong but if thor not boosted, not as good as other boosted combos. bring core groups up a tier at a time - 104 - 120 - 140 - 166.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    For now, i would sit tight at lvl 104.. Wait for max covers on 4-5 people, then bring them slowly to 120 at first. Stop there. This will keep scaling in check, and give you advantages when they are the weekly boosted.

Once you have 10+ fully covered (optimally), then go for the 140 mark, this is when you will see them boosted to 200+ in PVP/PVE, and be able to make a real push for top placements.

Also, make an online roster, it really does help. Check my sig for 2 really good places.
  • Thanks. Had a feeling I was in a position where I had a bunch of characters that weren't ideal.

I had an account with the roster thing you mentioned, Malcrof, and it won't let me migrate my old roster now. Keeps giving me this message: Unknown foreign key constraint violation: roster_characters(roster_characters_name_fkey)

Guess I'll have to build it from scratch.
  • And here it is:

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Black-Marma/

I do have Fist, just not really covered very much.
  • Malcrof
    Irishguy wrote:
    And here it is:

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Black-Marma/

I do have Fist, just not really covered very much.

Solid Start! Just for fun, make sure to try out some of your undercovered 3*s in trivial nodes etc, just to get a feel for them. Daredevil + Cyclops can be one of the deadliest combo's. Get a couple DD trap tiles out, and then use Cyc yellow to match them youself., makes fast work of PVE nodes.

but keep collecting covers, you will get there soon!

Also, make sure you use Deadpool at least once a day to get those deadpool points. superwhales can come in handy!
  • TxMoose
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just for fun, make sure to try out some of your undercovered 3*s in trivial nodes etc, just to get a feel for them. Daredevil + Cyclops can be one of the deadliest combo's. Get a couple DD trap tiles out, and then use Cyc yellow to match them youself., makes fast work of PVE nodes.
    absolutely this. if you enjoy pve at all, trivial nodes are where you take out your undercovered, underleveled characters at the bottom of your roster and take them for a spin. pve grind last night was actually fun because it was not required but just me fartin around. used 26 different characters and used no health packs taking all nodes under 100 pts. that was fun using different teams and underused characters.
  • I've been messing around with the Sentry PVE, just because it will give me some GSBW covers if I keep it up. I guess I'll do this some more with the underleveled chars. Fun to bust out Carnage too. Besides DD + Clops, any other dynamic duos I should mess with?
  • Malcrof
    Irishguy wrote:
    I've been messing around with the Sentry PVE, just because it will give me some GSBW covers if I keep it up. I guess I'll do this some more with the underleveled chars. Fun to bust out Carnage too. Besides DD + Clops, any other dynamic duos I should mess with?

Grocket + Mostorm.. get a hailstorm out then hit Grocket green for a 1 shot on a trivial node , also, with both currently boosted, they may provide more usefulness in other nodes as well.

Laken, IF, Falcon.. that is my basic trivial walker.. don't ever even have to fire an ability on trivials when you have that team covered fully.. just match a green.. then yellows.. the enemies just die on their own. Can sub Blade for Laken if you want, but Laken is guaranteed strikes on a green match, Blade is iffy.
  • TxMoose
    my trivial nodes have been getting juggernaut/70beast/70kingpin(1/1/1) and when jugs heabutts himself to low health I sub in my dupe lthor (70@4/4/5). i also sometimes use my **s for grinds and sometimes fit in fury or imhb, but they are both at only 4 covers. also play my other dupes that are woefully undercovered (loki/hood/mags/fist - all at 3-5 covers) sometimes.
  • Malcrof
    Goon only trivials get the treatment from 3 of my non max covered, but fun as hell peeps.. Doc Oc, Shulkie, Beast, or now that BE is fully covered. Doc Oc, 3* Bullseye (one i want to max out levels on badly) and falcon.

So many fun combos you can test out.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    sorry for the thread hijack, but didn't want to start a new thread.

i have been holding 21 3* characters at 104.
    5 can be taken to 153
    4 to 140, 1 to 130
    5 to 127
    1 to 117, 3 to 114

some critical/popular characters are missing from the above group:
    unfortunately cage and hood were just recently obtained and only have 1 cover each. and patch and cyclops are only at 66.

my 4* characters are in sad shape.

i am curious to know if i could level up any of the 104 characters - to 114 or possibly 120. i've read a little on here about only incrementally levelling your roster. but each roster is unique and i thought i'd ask before i made any decisions.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Wait until you have several heroes fully covered and then raise them to max together. More covers is better than more levels at a certain point.
  • Sorry for piggybacking on this thread but "bleh should I level up???" kinda feels like its not worthy of another thread.

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/colwag/

I got 3 maxed covered 3*s, and about 660K Iso so I could max out my best guys and start trying to make PVP pushes, but I'm scared of PVP being too costly in HP and PVE scaling and stuff like that, or how to get a good chemistry going here so I honestly am not sure at all how to approach this.
  • Malcrof
    moved to Roster and Level Help