Ideas on rebuilding characters

Options
1. Whenever a character gets nerfed, the covers of that character should be reset and the player should get full freedom to rebuild the character any way he wants (remember that the player might have had to sell covers because he couldn't or didn't want to use them). That is only fair.

2. The level cap of abilities should always be very visible in the game. Not all players are aware of the forums and hang here to read everything that needs to be read. Always inform players that they are about to level the character in a very specific way that they can't easily change later on.

3. Cover-hunting can be a real pain in the *ss. My suggestion here is that the covers need to be de-colored. Instead of giving me a green cover that I already have, and can't use, making me sell it for a lousy 100 iso, give me a simple cover with no color and let me decide which ability I want to use it on. It should still be tied to specific character, but not to a specific ability.

4. Let us have complete control over the abilities, letting us lower the ability of a character one step, in order to raise another ability of that character one step. That way, we can try out all abilities and build the characters the way we want them to be. Having to start building again from scratch just to try out a different ability just isn't fair.

So give us control and give us freedom to build the characters the way we like.

Comments

• Pretty good ideas. I +1 this
  • #3 - Absolutely! It is so difficult to come by covers you need for 2 star and up characters, and when I finally do see one for a character I need, it's the wrong color. I end up selling it for a measly amount of ISO. It took me FOREVER to finally get my last cover for Thor, as on the rare occasion I actually got one, it was always one of the 2 colors I didn't need.

It would be nice for some more options to get more covers in general. At least 2 star covers. I have been playing every day for about 2 months, and only have one 2* character at max powers; a 4/4/5 Thor I'd love to respec since the nerf. I had to spend most of my hero points on Shields during the last tourney to manage a top 75 finish to get one of each 2* Wolverine cover just to get to him to 3/3/2, where he's still not strong enough to really be usable in tournaments. I have about a dozen 2* and 3* characters with 1 measly cover mostly due to a lucky pull here and there with a recruit token. How are players suppose to transition to better characters when we never get covers for any of them? I can't even spend hero points to power them up since I don't even have their first cover in 2 of their 3 powers (not that I would anyway, since the HP cost is ridiculous and this is obviously aimed at the pay 2 win crowd).

So, I'm 2 months in and stuck with Thor and my three or four 1*star characters. Talk about a grind fest just to be able to see and enjoy playing with some other characters!

Also, speaking of covers. I have a 5/3/0 Modern Storm (sold her early on for roster spots when I didn't know any better). I haven't received a single cover for her in my last 50 plus recruit tokens, so I'm stuck at level 30 waiting for a black cover to drop so I can do anything with her. Ridiculous! At the rate the game gives out completely worthless 1* recruit tokens, how about giving us some way to reacquire covers for starter characters, or let us send them to friends, since the measly 100 ISO we get for them is pretty worthless anyway.
  • All great ideas, I love suggestion #3, I've been hunting for an Iron Man Model 40 blue cover since it came out, I'm already maxed at level 5 on his red cover and every flipping Iron Man Model 40 cover that I get is the dang red cover that I time and time again sell for 150 ISO and 25 or whatever gold. If they want to stick with selling covers for this small amount, then they need to adjust the price to "self" train the powers that we are looking for. 1250 gold to train up one level for this cover, either drop the gold price down or translate that gold cost in to ISO. Granted, that would probably be in the neighborhood of 4000 ISO, but I'd much rather play my butt off getting the pittance of 20 ISO, 20 games in a row, to afford to self train then have to weigh my options of using my gold on a ridiculous amount to self train or a ridiculous amount of gold to hunt for a cover I ACTUALLY need.
  • GOOD SUGGESTIONS
  • I'd say instead of removing cover color keep it but remove expiration and allow two covers of any color for a character be cashed in for one of any color your choice. Maybe 3 covers of one character for one of a random color of a character of your choice at same star level. Admittedly I would prefer the suggestions outlined above but this is intended as a more likely alternative that reduces cover hunting some while making covers you already have full of not just the RNG say "sorry you just wasted most of that ISO-8 you spent on the token. Really I find the Level cap on abilities plenty visible but yeah maybe include a quick tutorial pop up on your first 3* recruit. Also Maybe instead of full freedom over ability redistribution make it so that for awhile after a character change you may spend 50 HP to move 1 cover around. Once more I would prefer the changes in the OP but am trying to think of alternatives that still have people spending some amounts of resources to keep the company happy. I would love an actual training room possibly unlockable by hero points where you can do mock battles with any hero of any level and covers against opponents of similar flexibility just to see how they work both from player perspective and when handled by the AI. Especially since this would allow you to see how your team holds up on the defense in tournaments.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd be satisfied with the ability to trade covers of one color for another color for the same character. That or letting players trade covers they don't want/need. Equal star cover trades with a small Iso tax for both parties.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    joebobjoe wrote:
    I'd say instead of removing cover color keep it but remove expiration and allow two covers of any color for a character be cashed in for one of any color your choice. Maybe 3 covers of one character for one of a random color of a character of your choice at same star level. Admittedly I would prefer the suggestions outlined above but this is intended as a more likely alternative that reduces cover hunting some while making covers you already have full of not just the RNG say "sorry you just wasted most of that ISO-8 you spent on the token. Really I find the Level cap on abilities plenty visible but yeah maybe include a quick tutorial pop up on your first 3* recruit. Also Maybe instead of full freedom over ability redistribution make it so that for awhile after a character change you may spend 50 HP to move 1 cover around. Once more I would prefer the changes in the OP but am trying to think of alternatives that still have people spending some amounts of resources to keep the company happy. I would love an actual training room possibly unlockable by hero points where you can do mock battles with any hero of any level and covers against opponents of similar flexibility just to see how they work both from player perspective and when handled by the AI. Especially since this would allow you to see how your team holds up on the defense in tournaments.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far, glad you like my suggestions! Let's just hope that D3 sees this and starts thinking about some of these solutions.

It's a real problem that the game keeps flinging useless covers at us, a simple "cover-trade" of some sort is definitely needed, either a trade "with yourself", just swapping the cover for another cover of the color you need (I could totally pay some iso for that, but never hero points), or a trade system with other players (but that would probably be very complicated, wouldn't work in the long run and would probably get abused in several ways). At least SOMETHING has to be done, I'm so tired of hunting for the right covers that I'm actually considering quitting this game (and I'm sure lots of other players have already quit for the same reason). Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but if it all comes down to endless fights without any real progress in the form of covers I WILL get tired of playing.

Maybe the "token system" could be tweaked a little so it can scan which characters and covers we already have, and increase the chance of giving us covers we can actually use?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the chance of abuse of any trading system could exist, but would be mitigated by having a tax for the trade. As in both players would have to pay a fee (I'm thinking equal to what we get when we sell the covers). Oh, and the trade system could be blind, in that you don't know who you are trading, all you know is that they want to trade what you have. It would have to be prioritized by what is wanted, not what is being offered. No good searching for Blue IW when what they want for it you don't have.

I'll walk you through how I envision this working:

I get my Recruit Token, and low and behold, no Punisher Red. Instead I get Dr. Doom Black. 1st I go look in active trades and search for who wants my Dr. Doom Black. All players searching for a Doom Black would show up, and then in the same list, it shows what they have on offer. If no one has a Punisher Red, then I can create my own active trade. Basically I select my Doom Black and then I am offered what I could possibly trade for. After paying the trade tax (up front of course), my trade goes up. At some time later if another player wants to trade, they pay their tax as well, and next time I log in, I receive a notification that my trade was accepted and can collect my Punisher Red. IF before my trade is accepted, I change my mind, I can cancel my trade and receive my tax back. Players would only be able to post 1 trade at a time, but the count down for covers would be paused as long as the trade is up.
  • Daige wrote:
    1. Whenever a character gets nerfed, the covers of that character should be reset and the player should get full freedom to rebuild the character any way he wants (remember that the player might have had to sell covers because he couldn't or didn't want to use them). That is only fair.
    That's what other games do, particularly MMOs, and it makes complete sense. That's why I don't expect it to be done here any time soon. I do hold out hope that it will be done eventually.