An idea to fix PvP's "Punished for winning"

firethorne
firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
Most of us have probably had this happen. We unshielded to make an attack and end up loosing more points than we won. As a result, people field only characters with big nukes to quickly down a team and get back to shields asap, and tend to avoid slower more strategic characters.

I'd like to see a bit more variety, and a bit less rush, and I think this could help. If you win a match, how about giving the player a short shield, in the range of 1 to 5 minutes. Also have it apply retroactively to any attacks taken during the win. Any attackers, of course, would still get their points. If you lose, you don't get a shield, and can drop in points for your loss as well as others incoming attacks.

Ultimately, I'd just like to see the penalized for winning aspect go away.

Comments

• elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    They could also just take an approach that like clash of clans has which is while you are active (would have to be just in that pvp or people would just abuse prolog) you cant be attacked. However that would probably require a great deal of coding.

I like the idea of a retroactive shield.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Part of the fun of PVP comes from the tension of having to speed through a match to get a shield up. While I emphasize with your issue, I think the game is fine as is. As long as everyone understand the mechanics and risk, its a game decision that every player has to come to grips with.

A lot of PVP has already been simplified into an alliance coordination game. I would hate to see the mechanics simplified even further.
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    ^ I think you mean empathize.

If prefer something along the lines of when you come out of a shield you can't be queued for 5-10 mins.
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    The prolog issue could be solved by just having the shield start when you start the match. You start a match - you get a ten minute shield. If your battle takes you 15 minutes, then you are open for five minutes. It would still encourage you to play at a reasonable pace, but make it worth actually playing.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Legasher wrote:
    The prolog issue could be solved by just having the shield start when you start the match. You start a match - you get a ten minute shield. If your battle takes you 15 minutes, then you are open for five minutes. It would still encourage you to play at a reasonable pace, but make it worth actually playing.
    If your battles take 15 minutes, I'd say that's your problem right there. My estimate is that a game takes 3-4 minutes at worst.
  • I would like to see a small change in the effect of not being attacked 3-4 times whilst playing one match. On too many occasions now i have been fighting for points to then come out of the match and been hit 3 times for a cumulative score of 150 points when the match i was playing only offered around 30-40. It's demoralizing and not worth the effort to try to make back the points because you know you are a match away from being blasted for another 150. This seems to kick in around 700 points mark which is not even a huge reward considering we now have the DDQ dishing out 3* on a daily basis along with lucky taco tokens. Surely i cannot be the only person feeling the burn?
  • Magere
    Magere Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Some pvp is worse than others, the worst I remember is trying.to get to the featured *** cover, and going thru the last 100 points at least 5 times, it was after that I vowed to run up as far as possible then forget about that pvp,
    The annoyance of winning every match only to lose constant points during a game is the worst way to run this. I won't bother with that again.
  • Legasher
    Legasher Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Quebbster wrote:
    If your battles take 15 minutes, I'd say that's your problem right there. My estimate is that a game takes 3-4 minutes at worst.

Lol, they don't. I don't keep track and I have a super busted internal clock, but it was just for example and I'll let other people determine how long a reasonable match should take. If 3-4 mins is right, then a 3 min or 150 second shield? Either way, just have the clock start when the match does, and run out regardless of how long the match actually takes.