Question for a dev (or anyone that knows)

san
san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
The extra rewards we get from the FB friends are a wonderful supplement to the iso shortage. However, they can also be really annoying when they show up during the last portion of a competitive PvP, when mere seconds can matter. Hitting the "accept" button for each one is annoying. In addition, once the accept button is hit, we need to wait for the game and server to sync before moving on to the next reward. This can be time consuming. Additionally, for some of us with alliance mates/fb mates that play in the same time slice, we give each other these rewards at the worst time and hinder each others' progress.

I am wondering why this is the case for EACH reward. I understand the need to sync the rewards, but is there no "external" way to do this, so the player only hits the accept button once? This would be similar to the "daily reward ISO" which we get all at once for all our alliance mates.

A few follow up questions... Why was it done this way in the first place? Is is possible to change this? Or would it be a great deal of work to code such a system? Is there a better way to distribute FB rewards (i.e. once per day you hit accept for all rewards?) or to queue them (similar to how daily reward works) to be received all at once? Would it be too much work to simply roll them into a single notification (like dailies, or like the "you've been hit" screen, where you can see multiple hits, or rewards in this case, and who gave them)?

I am wondering if anyone else finds this equally annoying. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Accepting all rewards (with an overall reward listing) is on our backlog, but there's no high priority on it. It's something we'd definitely like to get to.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    As much as I agree with OP that it is annoying, I think it's in our heads that we can do something to avoid losing points by hitting the shield button 2 seconds earlier. Most of the time you are attacked while in your match. By the time you finish you already lost (or got the d-win)
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:
    As much as I agree with OP that it is annoying, I think it's in our heads that we can do something to avoid losing points by hitting the shield button 2 seconds earlier. Most of the time you are attacked while in your match. By the time you finish you already lost (or got the d-win)
    Most of the time, sure. But I've come out of a match without getting hit, and then got the attack pop-up as I'm shielding. So, it happens.
  • san
    IceIX wrote:
    Accepting all rewards (with an overall reward listing) is on our backlog, but there's no high priority on it. It's something we'd definitely like to get to.

IceX - Good to know. This is really the answer I was looking for. Thanks a bunch icon_e_smile.gif.

mjh - while I agree with you to a degree, at times it's not about seconds, but rather than minutes. In example, when I am playing on my phone connection, as opposed to wi-fi, it seems to go to a loading screen (blue trouble connecting to shield server screen) almost every time. In other words, by the time I get through all the rewards, it's been 3-4 minutes, which CAN mean the difference between being hit and not being hit on a shield hop.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    You're complaining that the free goodies you receive don't arrive the way you'd like? Steam players don't and can't receive the gifts through facebook that you've grown to be annoyed at. I think that's a pretty clear indication that the playing field should be leveled and the gift bonus for mobile players should be eliminated. Its already unfair to Steam players, and at least the OP finds that it can be a detriment while playing PVP. Just eliminate it all together.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Konman wrote:
    You're complaining that the free goodies you receive don't arrive the way you'd like? Steam players don't and can't receive the gifts through facebook that you've grown to be annoyed at. I think that's a pretty clear indication that the playing field should be leveled and the gift bonus for mobile players should be eliminated. Its already unfair to Steam players, and at least the OP finds that it can be a detriment while playing PVP. Just eliminate it all together.
    I agree level it. only offer sales to the entire player base, not one segment at a time. been a loooong time since the last sale for ios.
  • Konman
    Konman wrote:

Aww, Konman, c'mon. Maybe they are looking into a similar system for Steam friends?

The playing field is already uneven. Just think about the pricing and exchange rates from country to country.

This is primarily a mobile game (or at least that's how it started). Mobile players already enjoy mobility; Steam players have better portability (between Steam capable devices anyway) and get to play on widescreens with theater sound (not that anyone would *cough*).

I think it's great that they can offer and support this.

EDIT to add: Game is currently offline on Steam. Take it down for everyone! No unequal time for players! </sarcasm>

In another thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32252) IceIX pretty much said it wasn't going to happen, it was too difficult to do it through Steam, and it wouldn't work between Steam games and facebook for some reason. "Highly unlikely" were his words.

So while having a large screen to see DD crotch better is a bonus, its certainly not as useful as someone giving me free ****.

Steam being down is likely a not too subtle reminder of who runs things around here icon_e_wink.gif
  • san
    Konman wrote:

Konman, - I'd certainly be on board with the suggestion to eliminate it across the board. I would, however, also suggest that the tone of the conversation be... well... toned down. I understand that I bring up a sensitive issue for you, as clearly you feel disadvantaged by this, but I didn't ask for this "unfair" treatment. I simply turned on my mobile phone and downloaded a game - you can too! icon_e_smile.gif . As for how much I gain from it, well, maybe 500-1000iso per day. Yes, it's more than you get on Steam, but not THAT much more that you can't make it up with a few rounds of PvE or a single LR, neither of which I play icon_e_smile.gif .

aesthetocyst - no, there is no such thing as decline a reward - sometimes I'd use it if that were the case. You're either all in, or all out. I'm all in with my alliance mates.
  • Konman
    san-mpq wrote:
    Konman wrote:

Konman, - I'd certainly be on board with the suggestion to eliminate it across the board. I would, however, also suggest that the tone of the conversation be... well... toned down. I understand that I bring up a sensitive issue for you, as clearly you feel disadvantaged by this, but I didn't ask for this "unfair" treatment. I simply turned on my mobile phone and downloaded a game - you can too! icon_e_smile.gif . As for how much I gain from it, well, maybe 500-1000iso per day. Yes, it's more than you get on Steam, but not THAT much more that you can't make it up with a few rounds of PvE or a single LR, neither of which I play icon_e_smile.gif .

aesthetocyst - no, there is no such thing as decline a reward - sometimes I'd use it if that were the case. You're either all in, or all out. I'm all in with my alliance mates.

No particular tone intended, but holy ****!...500-1000 iso a day Is friggin huge! That kinda thing adds up. You shouldn't have told me how much you are getting, now I feel even worse about the situation. Wow. (insert bemused, disheartened, yet hopeful tone)
  • san
    Thanks. If no decline, then it's just like any other announcement ... progressions for PvP/Sim, Season ... and comp rewards ... always randomly popping up at the wrong time icon_lol.gif

I have wished they changed this mechanic for a long time. Nothing is more bizarre than trying desperately to blow by all the good news on the way to the shield button!

Perhaps the interface could have a place for push notifications...or a text crawl. Some other way of conveying the information that didn't require player confirmation to clear.

Although that would kill the tradition of screen capping particularly awesome rewards!

There is no such thing as an awesome FB reward. Unless you count the 1* Spider-Man, I guess he's pretty cool. The rest are lame 1*s (which really amounts to doing more work to sell the darn things) and iso 70 or 140 (rare).
  • san
    Konman wrote:
    No particular tone intended, but holy ****!...500-1000 iso a day Is friggin huge! That kinda thing adds up. You shouldn't have told me how much you are getting, now I feel even worse about the situation. Wow. (insert bemused, disheartened, yet hopeful tone)

Huge? I guess if you look at a month's worth of time, it's... 30,000... Meh, I make that in 3 days of playing PvP (~5000/event) and DDQ (~4500 a day)... So yes, that's huge, but not insurmountable.
  • Konman
    san-mpq wrote:
    Konman wrote:

Huge? I guess if you look at a month's worth of time, it's... 30,000... Meh, I make that in 3 days of playing PvP (~5000/event) and DDQ (~4500 a day)... So yes, that's huge, but not insurmountable.

It's great that you seem to be making plenty of ISO for yourself. I bet if someone offered you an extra 30,000 a month you'd still find a way to spend it. And if you had 30,000 less per month, you notice it was missing.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    IceIX wrote:
    had a newbee casual friend quit because of this issue specifically. she would come back after 5 days or so and spend 10-15 min accepting gifts and not being able to play. eventually she just stop playing.