4 star essentials

Options
GurlBYE
GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
It sounds irritating but could we possibly make it a 1, 2, 3 essential thing.

If you add the 4 star as a progression about 20-40% higher then the current highest (HINT HINT) it's fine.
I'd have a much easier time buying a handful of basic tokens and getting star.png's (hey spider man is new too) ready for this event then randomly having a professor x or nick fury (or any of the other, i think it's 18 now?) 4 stars just waiting in the wings for whatever event is next.

It only seems reasonable not to have the rarest sort of character making a big difference in scores during an event to earn 3 and 4 stars (most importantly though, the 3's)

I can't see much of a reason for it if they aren't normalized.

Comments

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    its bad enough being force to bring 2 stars into PVE but bringing 1 stars never NEVER AHHHHHHHHH runs screaming icon_e_smile.gif

i would rather seem them drop the 2 star and make it a one star (since one stars are so easy to come by) therefore you would not need to hold slots for 2 stars..

with the age of the 4 star here your never going to see 4 stars removed... get ready for 5 stars i say by early next year knowing them lol.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:

This. This is the thing. 95% of this game is based around the philosophy that 1*s are for beginners, and meant to be grown out of quickly, 2* transitioning to 3* is the meat and potatoes, and 4*s are shiny baubles that can sit like trophies on your roster. This was fine when that was actually the case, but it's not anymore. The devs need to take a step back from the flood of 4* releases and re-examine the games dynamics to see if they still make sense in the new 4* environment. Spoiler: they don't.
  • GurlBYE
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    its bad enough being force to bring 2 stars into PVE but bringing 1 stars never NEVER AHHHHHHHHH runs screaming icon_e_smile.gif

i would rather seem them drop the 2 star and make it a one star (since one stars are so easy to come by) therefore you would not need to hold slots for 2 stars..

with the age of the 4 star here your never going to see 4 stars removed... get ready for 5 stars i say by early next year knowing them lol.
    I don't want less 4 stars.

Keep em going.

If I don't have the 4 star. How easy is it for me to save one in queue for the pve coming

How about the 1 star?
    tanis3303 wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

This. This is the thing. 95% of this game is based around the philosophy that 1*s are for beginners, and meant to be grown out of quickly, 2* transitioning to 3* is the meat and potatoes, and 4*s are shiny baubles that can sit like trophies on your roster. This was fine when that was actually the case, but it's not anymore. The devs need to take a step back from the flood of 4* releases and re-examine the games dynamics to see if they still make sense in the new 4* environment. Spoiler: they don't.

The bauble treatment definitely needs to stop, the issue is, essentials are a well.. essential part of play. And they are sitting just chilling out in every pve like they're no harder to obtain that captain marvel, or marvel now thor.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    E only way this could possible work is if they did not charge roster slots for 1* and 2* characters. Right now the only as it is I carry five 2* characters. Two of them have 0 ISO in them as I rotate them for the essential characters in PVE. If D3 would give all 1* and 2* free roster slots I would not care if they were the only essential characters. The reality is I am not spending 900 HP on a 1* character for PVE. That is just cruel and unusual punishment to any 3*-4* player.
  • slidecage
    Options
    put it this way they did away with 4 star ess in PVE you would see a lot less people playing Pve maybe as much as 75%. What would be the point in grinding like crazy in a new 4 star PVE when you will never got to use it.

then again why not drop all required people and just make all 3 nods boost nods (meaning you need to have a least one of boosted people that week in the group)

i paid 950 coins for a slot for 1 star spiderman thinking something neat was going happen with him.. When nothing happen little spidy got tossed out the window.
  • Ive said it before, various times, and will say it again: the 4* essential was a really bad move. PvE is to help people grow in the game as PvP has a much better reward by effort ratio but is for a later point. Forcing begginers to have a 4* just for the sake of having it as essential makes it even harder as slots are a issue early (no PvP to help on HP income until a later point of transition). So begginers and transitioners have to get rid of more useful 2/3*s and add those 4*s to the roster or they will be doomed on the future as they are very hard to come by before you can reabily hit 1k on PvP.
  • Stem the release of 4* to once a month (or two months) and essential 4* won't be as bad.
  • I think it's a good change, nice advantage to have for seasoned players.

Yes, it is bad times for a new player seeing how far the gap is (especially for F2P), but beginners should just focus on 1 > 2 > 3, and not using a slot for 4. You won't finish top 10 but top 25-50 is achievable.

If you want to fast forward the journey, you have the whale option.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just another symptom of the game developing in a very different direction than it was initially designed to. Like tokens, this game was never built to exist with 4* characters in such a proliferate state of play. Everything, and I mean everything, revolving around 4* characters right now is just another band-aid slapped onto the gaping head wound that is that one core issue. It's already pretty bad and it will only get worse as time goes on. Sooner rather than later, everything is going to collapse if the release rate of 4* characters continues without some commensurate increase in covers, Iso, and HP/roster slots. Yes, that is a very strong "and" there. My bet would be this coincides with the introduction of a 5* character.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Would be easier for them to implement a loaner in the 4* PVE essential honestly, turn it into one of them there yellow nodes.

On a new 4* release, i think a yellow node 1/1/1 loaner as the 4* essential would not be a bad idea.
  • Man, I just want them to start cycling in other 4 stars than professor X and Nick Fury and Hulk Buster. I've had carnage since he released and you'd think he'd pop up as an essential, but it only happened once, right after his release per normal. Meanwhile, I've seen Nick it seems like 5 times, and Prof X at least twice, during the same period.

Cause what's worse than 4 star essentials is earning 4 stars in their release events that then get essentialed once and then they go back to the same 5 guys cycling for the off events.
  • GurlBYE
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    Just another symptom of the game developing in a very different direction than it was initially designed to. Like tokens, this game was never built to exist with 4* characters in such a proliferate state of play. Everything, and I mean everything, revolving around 4* characters right now is just another band-aid slapped onto the gaping head wound that is that one core issue. It's already pretty bad and it will only get worse as time goes on. Sooner rather than later, everything is going to collapse if the release rate of 4* characters continues without some commensurate increase in covers, Iso, and HP/roster slots. Yes, that is a very strong "and" there. My bet would be this coincides with the introduction of a 5* character.

No one quite looks at the fact that it reverberates through the whole game, not just up in lofty endgame that it took players over a year to get to because it wasn't even there yet.

Like the average player going from the 2 to 3 transition has to decide over whether or not to keep the covers of 17 4 stars that may sit isolated on their roster and unusable after the first week due to not being boosted anymore.

I've personally got 6 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png none with more then 2 covers and I don't have a single 3 star nearly fully covered, (cyclops is 0 redflag.png /4 yellowflag.png / 1 blackflag.png at least) While I don't need the 4 stars at this rate i'd be crazy to sell them, they could be essentials or worse, I may get a second cover. (edit- I've got 7, nick fury isn't rostered yet...) While it sounds great to players who are currently in 4 star land looking for more covers, I just see dead weight because theres no reasonable way to obtain more. If anything getting covers and leveling them would just make the game harder anyhow.

I just hope they don't favor 4 stars only when they relook at how the structure goes.

A loaner is fair but i doubt they'd do it.
    I just think it's incredibly stupid to have a 4 star essential.
  • slidecage
    Options
    GurlBYE wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:

No one quite looks at the fact that it reverberates through the whole game, not just up in lofty endgame that it took players over a year to get to because it wasn't even there yet.

Like the average player going from the 2 to 3 transition has to decide over whether or not to keep the covers of 17 4 stars that may sit isolated on their roster and unusable after the first week due to not being boosted anymore.

I've personally got 6 star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png none with more then 2 covers and I don't have a single 3 star nearly fully covered, (cyclops is 0 redflag.png /4 yellowflag.png / 1 blackflag.png at least) While I don't need the 4 stars at this rate i'd be crazy to sell them, they could be essentials or worse, I may get a second cover. (edit- I've got 7, nick fury isn't rostered yet...) While it sounds great to players who are currently in 4 star land looking for more covers, I just see dead weight because theres no reasonable way to obtain more. If anything getting covers and leveling them would just make the game harder anyhow.

I just hope they don't favor 4 stars only when they relook at how the structure goes.

been here since NOV 2014 and got all 4 stars the only ones i did not earn was 4thor (fell alsleep in 22 woke up and was in 54 with 3 mins to go.) i finally pulled her last month.

At least for me if they drop 4 star ess nodes then there is no reason for me to play a 4 star pve and many will feel the same way.

4 stars got

eltrka 2 blacks 5 reds ALL pulls and sold 2 reds
    hulkbuster 2-3-1 most was won from the ultron event i think i had 2 pulls
    Thing 1-0-2 all wins
    x force 1-1-4 3 token pulls rest daily rewards
    professor x 1-1-1 ALL pulls
    kingpin 1-2-0 all wins
    jean 2-0-1 all wins
    i women 002 all pulls
    star lord 110 one win one pull
    antman 2 both wins
    carnage 1 wins
    deadpool 2 both wins
    fury 1 pull
    4thor 1 pull

14 4 stars but pulled a lot of the covers from tokens but like i said took me 10 months to do it
  • Deilinvega
    Deilinvega Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:

That's the point. For average player, the 4* are to hard to get, to just sell them. Even if they are deadweights that clog your roster space as single covers. Solution? Buy more roster space. No HP to keep up with constantly new characters? Pay real money for HP. It's that simple.
    Why do you think they removed HP gain for selling 3* and 4*? To make it harder to make roster space and force you to pay if you want to get even 1/3 of the characters to fit.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Deilinvega wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:

That's the point. For average player, the 4* are to hard to get, to just sell them. Even if they are deadweights that clog your roster space as single covers. Solution? Buy more roster space. No HP to keep up with constantly new characters? Pay real money for HP. It's that simple.
    Meh, that's only half-right. While I'm sure roster space is a decent source of revenue, it's been said over and over again by any number of Red Names that most of their money comes from token sales. Whether it's the unwashed masses who don't know any better or the whales that go nuts on 42-packs trying to get the 1/1/1 needed to buy up the rest, that's where most of the cash comes from. Somewhere with better internet-fu can surely find the pie chart released that lays it out.
    Why do you think they removed HP gain for selling 3* and 4*? To make it harder to make roster space and force you to pay if you want to get even 1/3 of the characters to fit.
    This is not even close. They removed the HP for cover sales because the Haves were fighting tooth-and-nail to get covers they didn't need so they could reap the HP harvest. That's why you'll never see that again.