Anyone losing?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hello everyone, how you doing? I've taken a break from the forums, because i was tired of the negativity.
Sadly, i had to return to the forums, to ask for some help...

I've started losing a lot recently, and i've noticed i lose more matches against ai than i win. Once i lost, i need to use 3 healthpacks to get back up ..then another 3 (one will refresh meanwhile) and that's it.

This is how my tipical match goes. I start doing some 3 matches, ai doing the same. We keep on doing matches of 3, with the ocasional match of 4 or the ai doing an enviromental match... then suddently the ai does a simple 3 match, that will somehow trigger a cascade, and i lose. In one turn.
For example this.
http://imgur.com/OKKHfO4
Before that turn, i was close to full HP.
My team is a level 63 Thor, oBW, Punisher.

This is not a complain thread, i dont want anything changed or nerfed. I dont even know what should i ask for help, because i dont understand what i'm doing wrong. Those type of teams (like the one in my link) i meet at 200-300 points. Actually that one was looking easier than some other teams i skipped.

So guys, anyone losing recently? I wonder if anyone else got this problem.

Comments

• mischiefmaker
    Options
    I occasionally will lose a match, but it's pretty rare and usually involves a miracle cascade (or two or sometimes three) by the opponent. Not much you can do about those -- as a wise man once told me, "If you don't want luck in your game, play chess."

But for me these losses are pretty few and far between. If you're losing consistently, you're probably doing something wrong. From the screenshot it looks like you took on a team that is something like 80+Thor, 80+ Storm, 60ish model 40? That's quite a bit stronger than your team; perhaps you should skip these guys and look for easier prey?

If you do want to try and punch above your weight, consider using boosts (not as effective as it used to be, unless you want to spend hp for the +3 all). Also, you may be doing this already, but keep in mind that in many matches it's as important to deny certain colors as it is to gather colors of your own. For instance, in the match you posted, you should prioritize blue and green, because both are devastating and can lead to chains.

Finally, you may be limited by your roster, but I might think about changing up your team. Punisher-OBW is a very good pairing, but Thor feels redundant here; you're usually going to use green for Punisher, so Thor's best skill is going to sit unused. I'd maybe think about swapping in Ares? His red synergizes nicely with strike tiles, his yellow hits harder and is cheaper than Thor's, and his green is a nice cheap finisher for when you've already used Judgment a couple of times.
  • Hy mischiefmaker, nice to see you. You are absolutely right about their team difficulty, but i have the problem that pretty much every team that shows up is like this or stronger.

I was considering using Ares a while ago, but i've turned back on that decision, because i've builded him 5/3/5. I'm thinking that his red is to weak to be usable this way, but his yellow is amazing. Also i think his 5th cover on green that i added is just useless, there is no difference from 6 ap to 5 ap. I will try to rebuild Ares if they will start releasing him as tourney rewards.

I've been thinking more by myself about this. What i'm considering now, maybe this is supposed to happen. Since i meet teams like that at 200 points ,probably that means my MMR is too high for my roster. That would be explainable because i've got better placements and rewards than i should have by using boosts, and getting easy brachets with european timezone.

I'm thinking that since devs are putting so much work into PvP now, they may have found a better way to do the matchmaking, and those constant loses are nothing more than the game trying to lower my MMR to where it should be. For example the removal of three tries, and awarding points for a succesful defense, i think they really want a good matchmaking, and my MMR will go back to the place that it should be icon_e_biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for answering me, now i really want to try Ares (expecially since i've heard some stuff about him being incredible on defense)
  • Yeah, now with only 1 try its becoming important to consider how your team will do on defense as well as offense. While characters like Hulk or IM40 doesnt add much to offense, their huge hp pool deters attack just by making matches against you take too long.

Other chars like Ares and Juggernaut also perform better on defense than offense because their most damaging attacks hurt themselves, which isn't as much an issue because your defense team always start the match at full hp.
  • I play with 77 obw, 52 spiderman(with blue at 4) and 85 punisher. I never lose a game and always finish at full health, but my team is somewhat slow.
  • Yeah, I'm losing. Quite a bit actually. Mostly because I'm still trying to figure out my team post Thor/Wolvie nerf. I have a 4/4/5 lv. 85 Ares and a 3/3/3 level 89 Spidey, but then I have a bunch of 40's and 30's characters, and I can't figure out who works well with the two I have built up already. Subsequently I'm not having really any success at PvP events (finishing in the 100's) but I do great at PvE (usually finish top 10 with some top 5s). However, I'm having more fun at the game now because I was so tired of using Wolverine and Thor for absolutely everything and facing lv 85 Wolvies and Thors in ever single PvP match. This is forcing me to use other characters and try out new skills, so I'm enjoying the challenge.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    I'll put this in spoilers since you said you're enjoying the challenge of figuring out who to pair with Ares/Spider Man, but if you're looking for advice,
    I'd audition Daken for that third spot. Strike tiles go nicely with Ares' red, you want to collect all the green anyway, and he gives you better tile damage on black (though this is not really as important as people make it out to be). You do waste Daken's healing though, since he won't be tanking anything but black and you have a healer anyway. Punisher might be a decent fit too, but then Punisher kind of goes with everyone so that's a bit of a copout. Same with The Hood, and of course his covers are quite a bit more rare.

On defense, I'd go with Thor, nerf and all. Total overlap with Ares on offense, but on D that's another 5k of health to grind through, which can be daunting, and between Ares and Thor you're just about guaranteed to get something off, so the opponent knows he isn't getting away from that fight without taking a bunch of damage.
  • I'm losing quite a bit more in PVP, but i'm still placing top 5 in most tournaments. Mostly I'm losing more because I've switched out my 85 OBW, so i'm taking a lot more damage. However, i'm being attacked a lot less because my team is annoying to attack.

This has resulted in me not have to marathon play as much to maintain my rank.

PVE i'm still stomping though.
  • I'll put this in spoilers since you said you're enjoying the challenge of figuring out who to pair with Ares/Spider Man, but if you're looking for advice,
    I'd audition Daken for that third spot. Strike tiles go nicely with Ares' red, you want to collect all the green anyway, and he gives you better tile damage on black (though this is not really as important as people make it out to be). You do waste Daken's healing though, since he won't be tanking anything but black and you have a healer anyway. Punisher might be a decent fit too, but then Punisher kind of goes with everyone so that's a bit of a copout. Same with The Hood, and of course his covers are quite a bit more rare.

On defense, I'd go with Thor, nerf and all. Total overlap with Ares on offense, but on D that's another 5k of health to grind through, which can be daunting, and between Ares and Thor you're just about guaranteed to get something off, so the opponent knows he isn't getting away from that fight without taking a bunch of damage.

I am enjoying the challenge, but I appreciate the advice as well! I'd have to build a Daken, I don't have one right now because I never wanted to put any ISO into him. I had one built wrong several months ago, so I sold him and haven't started a new one. Sold my Thor for the huge ISO and HP they were offering, and am in the process of building a new one, so he's out as well for the time being, and besides I'm still bored with him. I do have a decent Punisher, but I need more black covers (he is lv. 43 1/2/4 right now) and I haven't been leveling him lately because there are others who were more helpful in recent tourneys. I have a 3/2/2 GSBW who helps alot in PvE tourneys so she has been getting my ISO lately. I also have been using my lv. 37 OBW at 4/5/3, my Patch at lv. 48 2/1/3, and my IM40 at lv. 55 5/3/3. No clear front runner as of yet, which makes it interesting.
  • Your AP looks all over the place. To win you need to follow some strategy, collect AP for some ability offense. Random matches will not work.

Say when I run OBW/Punisher I go for purple and green with priority to have retribution strike tiles and AP steal ready. (though if your punisher is low-level he's pretty useless, you might be better off with someone else.)

Also look for cascades you can cause -- half the time you can make a match that makes another match. That counts a lot early in the game.