Biweekly challenges

qiwi-mpq
qiwi-mpq Posts: 54
After a spirited discussion with my alliance mates in LINE tonight, I felt compelled to post this suggestion in hopes that it might get incorporated into the game. This might have already been suggested before, but I'm too lazy to search and I'm just going to post my take on it anyways!

The problem is that the game is getting stale. PVP is pretty much the same from season to season and the number of new PVE storylines is minimal. The only sense of progression is leveling up new characters and that will only get slower as there are more and more characters to cover. For many veterans, the game doesn't feel exciting anymore and more of a chore. As many in our alliance have stated, it's actually more fun to discuss the game than to actually play it!

Enough suggestions have been proposed from others on the character progression problem, but I want to offer a suggestion on how to spice up the gameplay:

Offer biweekly challenges (new ones every two weeks)

This is actually inspired from previous self-made challenges that forumers have done in previous events. The one I remember most is during the Ultron event, people were trying to get as many of IW's bubbles on the screen as possible. That was a lot of fun to attempt.

So I think offering biweekly challenges in the spirit of this would be a refreshing change from the usual "kill the other team" gameplay of PVP and PVE. Because you have a vast stable of characters and unique powers, people can find multiple ways to "solve" the challenges.

Some sample challenges:
1. Fill up half or a third of the board with one color (3hor, Mystique, Cyclops, etc)
2. Put 3 critical tiles on screen at the same time (1* Spidey, GSBW, etc)
3. Stun the entire enemy goon team (4hor, MBW, 3* Spidey, etc)
4. Put 10 attack/strike/protect/countdown/traps tiles on the screen at once
5. Kill all members of the other team in the same turn (Anyone with a good AOE)
6. One-shot a full health opponent (Heavy hitters, opponent could regain to full health on his/her turn)
7. Create 3 consecutive 4+ gem matches in the same turn (Actual skillz lol)
8. Destroy half the tiles on the board in a single turn (2* Mag trivializes this (could always just put him on enemy team, but creative solutions from other characters could do it too)
9. Heal damaged team to full health before countdown goes off (Daken, KK, OBW, 3* Spidey, etc)
10. Collect # of this color tile before the enemy team does
11. Deal ## of damage in one turn
12. Destroy all of the original tiles of the starting board within a certain number of turns.

I'm sure (I hope) that you would easily be able to create more interesting challenges than the list I just provided (plus I'm sure the forum would be happy to provide suggestions). You could easily just pick some number of challenges and rotate through the various ones. And varying the enemy team will affect the strategy one might take greatly (ex. Blade on enemy team might make getting more strike tiles on red harder) so re-using challenges will be ok too.

Some number of challenges could also be tailored toward beginners too. For example, if you rotated in 7 new challenges every rotation, the first 3 could be super simple. Example beginner challenges could include:
1. Make a match 5
2. Put 3 strike/protect/etc tiles on the board
3. Gather 20 red AP
The next 2 challenges could be intermediate and the last 2 challenges could be hard. As you can see from some of these suggested challenges, it would be easy to vary it to adjust difficulty (# of tiles, # of damage, etc)

Rewards would vary on difficulty, but I think even if they all just rewarded various amounts of ISO, everyone would be happy.

Not only would these be a change of pace, but because certain characters obviously do better at these challenges than others, you are still rewarding those who have bought roster slots and maintained a larger roster.

As for why I chose biweekly, it coincides with your "usual" schedule of releasing a new character every two weeks. You could customize a challenge for that specific newly released character, which would entice your paying crowd to perhaps buy covers/levels for the new character to beat the challenge.

Example X-force Deadpool Challenges
1. True heal Deadpool for 10k (need to get hurt and healed without killing the enemy team)
2. Hit all 3 opponents with countdown tiles from the same invocation of Countdown for What (can't just call "Countdown for what multiple times, need to split the same 4-6 amongst the enemy opponents)

The reward for this would obviously be much higher than mere ISO. Perhaps a 4* cover, HP,...well I guess even a ton of ISO might entice people too lol!

Hopefully your team has already been considering similar new gameplay changes, but if not, I hope you consider these ideas and incorporate them into the game soon as many of us in my alliance want to continue playing MPQ for a long time to come, but if things continue as they are now, we'll likely slowly attrition ourselves away from your game.

Thanks for reading!