Large matches and cascades

Hey all.

Anybody else noticing that the opposing team seems to be getting alot more four, five etc matches and cascades lately or is it just really bad luck on my part?

I'm literally losing more matches to this than anything else ie powers and that kinda sucks.

My best so far has to be having my entire team wiped out ( around 8000 combined health) against a relatively easy opponent (about 3000 combind health) in my opponents 1st turn. I made my move and then they made theirs, and drop after drop kept coming until I was wiped out.

Anyway thats my sob story anybody else got a similar story to share?

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Beowulf wrote:
    Hey all.

Anybody else noticing that the opposing team seems to be getting alot more four, five etc matches and cascades lately or is it just really bad luck on my part?

I'm literally losing more matches to this than anything else ie powers and that kinda sucks.

My best so far has to be having my entire team wiped out ( around 8000 combined health) against a relatively easy opponent (about 3000 combind health) in my opponents 1st turn. I made my move and then they made theirs, and drop after drop kept coming until I was wiped out.

Bad luck really. The algorithm for which gems fall on the board is extremely simple, just a randomized roll through the available tile types with error checks to make sure that things are actually random and that the RNG didn't get itself stuck somehow. Funnily enough, it's pretty much the same method to choose which gems fell in PQ1. To which people replied that the AI cheats. icon_razz.gif
  • IceIX wrote:
    Beowulf wrote:
    Hey all.

Bad luck really. The algorithm for which gems fall on the board is extremely simple, just a randomized roll through the available tile types with error checks to make sure that things are actually random and that the RNG didn't get itself stuck somehow. Funnily enough, it's pretty much the same method to choose which gems fell in PQ1. To which people replied that the AI cheats. icon_razz.gif

Its not completely random, it has to check to make sure there will always be at least one of each type of tile on the board (otherwise any power using said tile would be unusable). icon_e_wink.gif
  • Hey all.

• No its not just you, since the last update I have also noticed cascades seem to be much favouring the opposing team
  • Didnt know that about pqu1 ( didnt play it).

I managed to have some luck today though. Shouted myself $20 worth of cards and walked away with xforce wolverine, a ragnarock with both abilities, some upgrades and a few new characters and best of I finally got a yellow spidey!

So I guess you win some you lose some.

Anybody got a story that can beat my bad luck post ?
  • Wow, I think your good luck in card draw really outshines the bad luck.
    I still need a yellow spidey and have no illusions I will get a xforce wolverine
  • IceIX
    hogunner wrote:
    Its not completely random, it has to check to make sure there will always be at least one of each type of tile on the board (otherwise any power using said tile would be unusable). icon_e_wink.gif
    Well, yes. That's true. It's still *possible* to have something like that happen though by using an ability that changes tiles, then using another ability that will end the turn.
  • IceIX wrote:
    hogunner wrote:
    Well, yes. That's true. It's still *possible* to have something like that happen though by using an ability that changes tiles, then using another ability that will end the turn.

I had it happen to me today, but I don't have any abilities that ends turns. Don't really remember too well now what happened, but there weren't any red tiles on the board. Times like these it would be nice to be able to access a menu where the skills are icon_evil.gif
  • Beowulf wrote:
    Didnt know that about pqu1 ( didnt play it).

I managed to have some luck today though. Shouted myself $20 worth of cards and walked away with xforce wolverine, a ragnarock with both abilities, some upgrades and a few new characters and best of I finally got a yellow spidey!

So I guess you win some you lose some.

Anybody got a story that can beat my bad luck post ?
    which pack did you buy ?
  • Actually, I feel this game is less 'cheaty' than the other PQ games. Those always seem to have some ridiculous five match cascades that run forever.
  • It's just luck. Sometimes I simply devastate enemy, other times they have nice cascades. Just yesterday I had match in which all my moves were 4s or 5s, I don't have to add that it wasn't a long match icon_lol.gif
  • ZzzWolph wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

I had it happen to me today, but I don't have any abilities that ends turns. Don't really remember too well now what happened, but there weren't any red tiles on the board. Times like these it would be nice to be able to access a menu where the skills are icon_evil.gif

Happened to me yesterday as well. I had enough AP for Storm's Green skill, but not Green tile to set it off.

@IceIX, which abilities do end your turn? So far I haven't seen any and only way to end my turn is to move gems.

EDIT
    I didn't notice that this topic was posted twice and first replied in the other thread.
    Shikao wrote:
    It's just luck. Sometimes I simply devastate enemy, other times they have nice cascades. Just yesterday I had match in which all my moves were 4s or 5s, I don't have to add that it wasn't a long match icon_lol.gif
  • Dninot
    Dninot Posts: 214
    Shikao wrote:
    It's just luck. Sometimes I simply devastate enemy, other times they have nice cascades. Just yesterday I had match in which all my moves were 4s or 5s, I don't have to add that it wasn't a long match icon_lol.gif

Yup! I notice a lot more matches where I set up multiple 5s, and very few where the enemy gets the advantage. It happens, but I do my best not to let that happen.
  • I've had this happen to me. I don't mind if it happens and takes out one person from my team because I can just retreat and hope for a better board, but if they kill my whole team in one hit I can't even ragequit lol.
  • IceIX
    Shikao wrote:
    Happened to me yesterday as well. I had enough AP for Storm's Green skill, but not Green tile to set it off.

@IceIX, which abilities do end your turn? So far I haven't seen any and only way to end my turn is to move gems.
    At the moment the only one I can think of is The Hood's Twin Pistols.
  • It's just confirmation bias. You are more apt to remember the bad cascades that go against you, then the ones you get in your favor.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Using for Forum History Day, locking thread so it is preserved in it's original condition
This discussion has been closed.