2 * Maxed out vs saving slots for 3*

i have about 22 slots, and i have been considering axing some 3 * people for 2*s since i can max them out quicker... is this a good route to take?

i have no maxed out 3 star characters.

Comments

• XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    i have about 22 slots, and i have been considering axing some 3 * people for 2*s since i can max them out quicker... is this a good route to take?

If you have 6+ two stars already, I wouldn't. The main reason you want to keep 3*s is the Deadpool Daily node under Story. Just having the 3* will enable you to get an extra taco token (if not the cover itself in the 4-round node), which will greatly accelerate your ability to cover your 3*s.

I wouldn't bother maxing out your 3*s levels just yet though. Max out four to six 2* guys and just collect covers on the 3*s for now. You can eventually level them up to where your 2*s are and they'll help out, but the 2* guys will be stronger for a while.
  • i have about 22 slots, and i have been considering axing some 3 * people for 2*s since i can max them out quicker... is this a good route to take?

If there is any possible way you can avoid dropping 3*s, DO SO.

I mean, if you've got a lower tier 3* (check the character thread for advice on this), sure, you could contemplate dropping them, but even then, I would try really hard not to.

One 1* (Juggs) and six 2*s (preference, but definitely OBW) will carry you a LONG way. That's only seven slots.

Even single cover 3*s will open up important DDQ nodes, PvE nodes, and are essentially the middle 60% of the game atm...

Spend HP on roster slots and nothing else, and save all possible 3*s.

DBC
  • Yep, don't cut a 3 star if you can help it. At the time, I was boggled I'd drop a well covered 2 star like Moonstone when 3 stars were so hard to come by, so I wound up cutting Daken (already have him as a 2 star, who cared!) and Ragnarok , and I even shuffled out Hulk, and Vision too, at some point. Hulk I didn't mind, because he drops in his own event, and sure enough, I re-earned him there.

But yeah, if dropping money for hero points isn't an option, just keep some of the 2 stars and make room for the 3s. Personally, I'd say OBW, Storm, Magneto, Thor, and Wolverine are definite keeps. Ares, Daken, Torch, Bullseye, Hawkeye, and Marvel are good for reasons, and Moonstone, well..

Just cut her first. She'll come back.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    After dropping some 3 stars and seeing them pop up in DDQ the next week, I'd say don't get rid of em lol.
    DDQ is the best iso gain and 3* progression in game but you need the 3 stars to do it.

I'd say OBW + whoever else you rely on (3, and keeping only 1 star juggernaut help hold on to as many 3 stars as possible. I've only gotten rid of 3 stars that I hadn't interacted with or gotten multiple covers for in a long while. (for example bulleye, who was featured last week, along with a 1 cover 3 star cap, who wouldn't you guess it, is featured today)
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Which 2* do you have maxed and/or not maxed?

In a general sense, there's really only like six 2*s you "need" to have, in my opinion;
    • Wolverine and Daken for a climbing team in PvP or for clearing most PvE and doesn't require a lot of health packs.
    • Magento and Storm for taking out harder teams in PvP and PvE. Polarity Shift > Wind Storm is still the best 2* combo by far and Magnetic Flux got a huge bump in usability now that Polrity Shift creates Red Tiles now.
    • Ares and Black Widow for a defensive scarecrow team in PvP. Good to throw up once your final push is over. You'll get a fair bit of defensive wins and a fair amount of players will skip it simply because of the amount of power/health/healing/ap steal/annoyance they have.

==============

Optional, but effective additions could be;
    • Hawkeye: Plays super good with the Magneto/Storm combination to burst through harder PvE nodes or annoying PvP pairings because of his Passive going off with each Polarity Shift. Unfortunately, his other two abilities are not that great - his Red is situationally better than Magnetic Flux, but it's a rare occurrence, and his Blue is terrible.
    • Thor: Thor is a self-sustaining island. His abilities feed into each other; red giving yellow, yellow giving green, and green making an amazing AoE. Unfortunately, he just doesn't synergize well with other characters - for straight up damage Ares covers the same colors, but Sunder and Onslaught are stronger than Thor's counterparts. He is good for the fact he doesn't need to rely on others to be good, and if he's the last remaining character on your team he can definitely make a comeback with a Call the Storm. Use him to tank colors for squishies or as a backup to a strong two-man teams.
    • Human Torch: HT is all about damage over time, but his drawback is he has a slow roll build up - making him back for PvP, but can be an all-star in PvE. His Red is amazing - at full covers and levels, it does 1654 damage and destroys two Red Tiles (effectively making it cost 6 AP, because you get those two back). Best build is pretty heavily debatable - I like his Black over his Green because his Green takes too much time to get effective - but the drain on his Black deters some people from going full on to Black. Thor (he'll cover Red and Green if Thor is in the middle) and Bulleye (he should cover Black and Green, plus Protect Tiles) are both good tanks for him. I've also been known to run Daken/Bullseye/Torch - Daken covers Black, Bullseye covers Green, and Daken can add Green Tiles to the board, and matching the Green gives you Strike Tiles.

==========

The other ones are more or less "fun" characters.

Miss Marvel's 2* iteration is a pretty cool cat with her Black AoE and his Yellow cascade making machine - I play her with Hawkeye and Thor for Speed Shot shenanigans. Outside of that though, she has a hard time finding a spot inside of synergistic teams.

Bullseye is pretty meh outside of that HT team I mentioned (though to be fair I haven't played him much since he got that Green). Black is too slow. Green seems to be okay. Purple is good for slowing down the fight, but it's only needed in particular teams.

Moonstone is alright. Haven't played her much since they changed her abilities around, though.

Captain America's 2* iteration is just bad. Too much AP for not enough damage or utility - though he did get some bump to "okay-ness" because of his build control in the Ultron Event.

========

Besides that, the only advice I'd give is save all your Hero Points for Roster Slots until you have three to four solid leveled 3*s - and even then you should probably save them primarily for Roster Slots. You should only hop when you're close to a reward for a character you already have or is top tier.
  • I found Marvel was worth keeping around just because of how often you'll end up fighting Bullseye. She's an auto include versus him and Falcon/3Mag as well, because protect tiles can be the -worst- at times. Her red is fairly cheap so you can mitigate those as they tend to get out of control if unchecked, plus the damage is ok.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    I found Marvel was worth keeping around just because of how often you'll end up fighting Bullseye. She's an auto include versus him and Falcon/3Mag as well, because protect tiles can be the -worst- at times. Her red is fairly cheap so you can mitigate those as they tend to get out of control if unchecked, plus the damage is ok.

Although i keep 2* on my team.. once you have her built, 3* Marvel (Carol) does the same with her red, but with a much more useful black and yellow.

I will say this, the team i used daily for TBE before i built the roster i have now was 2* Thor (3/5/5), 3* Marvel (5/5/3) , OBW (3/5/5). All colors covered.. make sure to finish rounds with an ability so you get first move on 2 and 4. Call the Storm, switch front char, Call it again, thunderstrike.. many times into cascades for another CtS... OBW for cd tile management and stealing AP.. MS Marvel was used for her 7 ap red, which does over 900 at 5 covers, and on the final round, if anything was alive when thor was out of AP, couple o sonic booms and it is all over.. this team still works, used it to get my wife her 5th cap red yesterday on her phone (brings her cap to 0/5/2)

Just make sure when using 2* marvel you remember to save her black for LAST, as it drains 1 other color each time you cast it. It also has a rebound attack like sunder if the cd tile resolves dealing even more damage if you don't kill everything on the wave with the initial blasts.
  • first off thanks for the responses!

my maxed out 2*'s are Wolverine, Human Torch, And MAgneto... thats it

so i read a few people warning not to drop any three stars, i had one spot for 3 stars that i used just for deadpool dailies, so i decided to drop that three star (bullseye) and i put in storm for the time being,

Today i got a heroic ten pack for reaching 4000 in the season and i got three aries (?!) so im thinking of tossing him in the mix, and i also have accumulated three captain americas.

I also got the female thor from that 10 pack and i think im gonna add her to my roster.
  • The 1st rule of MPQ Club is don't talk about MPQ Club.
    The 2nd rule is never sell 3* covers to make room for 2*!

And I mean, NEVER!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here are my standard tips for new players:

To the maximum extent possible:

(1) never throw away 3*s. The only way to build a good roster is to keep everyone, especially with few requiring 1 cover to earn more.

(2) never open tokens of you don't have to for a new roster spot. Covers expeire in 2 weeks but tokens last forever. Opening when you don't have roster space is gambling, and pull a new character that you have to roster Will stress your wallet.

(3) only use to for roster slots, don't by token packs, and generally avoid shielding until you have a good 2* roster for PvP (see gothickratos advice about 2*)

(4) there are more 2*s than necessary. Imo ares, daken, obw are essential and can be used forever in ddq. cStorm and 2* mags are essential while in 2* land but less so when you get to 3* land. 1 additional roster slot is nice to rotate in the essential 2* for pves, but that's all you need; more is a waste.

(5) get your essential 2*s and then start hoarding iso. Spending it on extra 2* will just delay your 3* roster further.

(6) patience is the best thing you can do! This game tempts you with many shortcuts, but most of them will just lead to more temptations. If you don't want to spend a lot (if you DO, that's fine, but if you dont), then patience and hoarding is the best strategy.
  • Chirus
    Chirus Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    If you want to look for 3 stars that get used heavily in PVE essentials, get mohawk storm and 3 * captain marvel. Whenever D3 can't decide which hero to feature, almost 60-70% of the time it will be one of those two characters.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I will buck the general trend a bit and say that you can safely throw away Sentry and Rags and Vision and three-star Iron Man and so on in favour of keeping more two-stars. You will be using those two-stars for hundreds and hundreds of battles before you get truly usable three-stars covered enough to use. And variety is the spice of life.

Playing this game should be primarily about fun.

I like having some options in my workhorse department of two-stars so I'm keeping quite a big stable in order to make the game more fun for me now. I'm only now getting the first three stars properly usable even outside of when they are boosted (Beast and Loki...) and it's certainly nice to have a bit more to choose from.
  • I will buck the general trend a bit and say that you can safely throw away Sentry and Rags and Vision and three-star Iron Man and so on in favour of keeping more two-stars. You will be using those two-stars for hundreds and hundreds of battles before you get truly usable three-stars covered enough to use. And variety is the spice of life.

Playing this game should be primarily about fun.

I like having some options in my workhorse department of two-stars so I'm keeping quite a big stable in order to make the game more fun for me now. I'm only now getting the first three stars properly usable even outside of when they are boosted (Beast and Loki...) and it's certainly nice to have a bit more to choose from.
    I'll have you know that I happen to like my Sentry & 3* IM very much.
  • My advice would be to keep about 6 2* and Juggs. I would also recommend not opening any tokens until you can buy a few more slots. 3* are hard enough to come buy at this stage of your game that you can't really afford to sell them. You want to be able to play all the nodes in DDQ as much as you can. Every 3* essential you don't have costs you the opportunity to earn a 3*, a taco token and 2K ISO. I would also keep any 2* toons you aren't using in the pen so you can recruit one if they are essential for pve.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards

Bullseye is pretty meh outside of that HT team I mentioned (though to be fair I haven't played him much since he got that Green). Black is too slow. Green seems to be okay. Purple is good for slowing down the fight, but it's only needed in particular teams.
    Here's my take , gimmicky, but very useful on survival type nodes. Has the most damage potential in 2 star land, one of 3 blackflag.png 2 star users (so it's cost isn't detrimental to much else) also helps during nodes against characters who are defeating you with just match damage, which usually happens when you're stuck with squishy 2 stars, (storm, widow)

Green ability pretty much allows you to create a critical on the spot with 3 covers (destroy any basic 4 tiles of your choosing)

Black at 5 covers, while expensive, when used right is 2 critical tiles anywhere. when placed together or making another critical match do astronomical damage, usually enough to end a match or eliminate a problem character. When used with board shake

Pairs decently well with storm magneto if you can't get thor.
    The purple matches aid in magnetos skill usage, while reducing damage taken to 1 per match with enough. Like seeing a cascade do 6 damage is lovely. black builds up for late match use, green can help make makes to speed up the collection of black, blue or red ap, which the team relies on for heavy hits.

Green is also a great alternate to storms green if you need a specific type of ap this turn, Like those 5 blues that don't quite match yet.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    On the note of passing on particular 3*s: There are definitely some poop shoot 3*s you can pass on and not be missing much - Sentry, Bullseye, Ragnarok, Mystique come to mind - and you'll probably never regret it much.

Other than that, you have other 3*s that have other 3*s that do their jobs better - Psylocke, Punisher, Gamora come to mind - but these guys are usually quite good when they get their turn in the weekly boost, so they're totally worth the ISO investment.

Besides those two majority cases, there's a few good but pretty niche characters - like She-Hulk, Falcon, Captain America, Hulk - which their worth depends on how much you like or want to commit to their play style. Their "good-ness" is kind of an eye of the beholder thing.

Generally speaking; just hold onto them if you can. If you're not too worried about $20, dropping it on Hero Points for some Roster Slots would be infinitely worth it. It's a great investment in the early stages of the game (but completely unnecessary if you don't mind being patient).