Why don't Tanks... tank?

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Just curious.. when i am using Thor or Hulk or other tanky toons.. why are they not tanking their colors? What is the purpose of Anger if Hulk isn't getting hit? Why give Thor all those HP if Loki and Hood are just going to tank his colors and get squished... heck, my hood is 13 levels lower than Thor and tanking yellow and all un-used colors over him....

I feel this should be looked at some..

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:
    Just curious.. when i am using Thor or Hulk or other tanky toons.. why are they not tanking their colors? What is the purpose of Anger if Hulk isn't getting hit? Why give Thor all those HP if Loki and Hood are just going to tank his colors and get squished... heck, my hood is 13 levels lower than Thor and tanking yellow and all un-used colors over him....

I feel this should be looked at some..

Thor's strongest color is red, hood's strongest is (weirdly enough...) yellow.

Have to pay attention to those match tile dmg #s, particularly when leveling members of key combos, and when levelling any support beyond 120. Soft-capping Hood at 140 is a good idea (blew that one myself).

And yes, it's a sad day when Hulk isn't tanking anything anymore. He was my first maxed toon, and back when he was 166 and everyone else was <130, he was great on offense. Of course, he was also fronting for underpowered toons.... I kept my XF at 199 for a long time, just so Hulk would tank for him.

I understand strongest color etc.. but play a node with Thor and Hood. Just those 2. Thor tanks red and green, that's it. Why would the person with 1/3 the HP and 13 less levels be tanking all the colors?
  • Unknown
    edited August 2015
    Thor is Red Green Yellow
    Hood is Yellow Blue Black

The only unused color is Purple, and for whatever reason, at max level Hood does have 12 Purple while Thor only has 11, according to the compendium, so you may need to check your in game numbers. It may be that Hood is at a point where he is already above Thor for purple, decimal wise.

You need to round the team out with someone that fits your weakness. Not sure who that would be without researching further.

Edit: Looks like Black Panther would do the trick.
  • Also make sure you put your tank in your first slot when building the team to make sure they are the one that destroys the TU tiles and any ties for damage.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    that's why I like Groot, in PvE put him with the middle with Lthor and Hood, he tanks most and regenerates. I keep a second Hood lower level too for the same reason you brought up
  • Malcrof
    Grantosium wrote:
    Also make sure you put your tank in your first slot when building the team to make sure they are the one that destroys the TU tiles and any ties for damage.

Always put thor in the middle, unless there is an essential. Hood @ 153 also tanks yellow over Mags at 166, yet Mags tanks blue.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonko33 wrote:
    that's why I like Groot, in PvE put him with the middle with Lthor and Hood, he tanks most and regenerates. I keep a second Hood lower level too for the same reason you brought up
    I have a second hood started but until I get at least 4 blue on him, my first stays at 136.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    Grantosium wrote:
    Also make sure you put your tank in your first slot when building the team to make sure they are the one that destroys the TU tiles and any ties for damage.

Always put thor in the middle, unless there is an essential. Hood @ 153 also tanks yellow over Mags at 166, yet Mags tanks blue.

Mags strongest color is blue. He is one of the handful of characters where power order is different than match damage order.
  • Malcrof
    Haetron wrote:
    Edit: Looks like Black Panther would do the trick.

BP is one of the few i need covers for, he is sitting at 5/3/1 icon_e_sad.gif

Malcrof wrote:
    Grantosium wrote:

Mags strongest color is blue. He is one of the handful of characters where power order is different than match damage order.

Yah, that makes things easier to understand... lol. I have noticed, all the chars that did not get health buffs, tank more of their colors, regardless of position.. Daken, Loki, Hood, etc..

Daken i don't mind tanking everything, he heals up fine if blue are around.. but IF tanking for KK is a bad bad bad idea..

I think my point is really along the lines of this:

If you create characters like the Hulk, who even has an ability centered around him taking personal damage, then he should be tanking all his colors and un-used colors.. period.. or what is the point of him? Thor is another one, give him loads of health, but not able to tank his own colors, except the one with the least covers that is used the least often and is his worst color overall...
  • Wonko33
    Malcrof wrote:
    Grantosium wrote:

Probably because they moved his powers around when they nerfed him
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    The idea of a tank and the concept of a tanky toon in this game are two different things. Just because a character may have the HP to tank, doesn't mean that they are necessarily tanks. Thor, in my opinion, is a perfect example of a tanky non-tank. He has all that health to facilitate his high AP cost of his skills. If we had a bunch of true tanks in the game, it would draw the game out to a crawl trying to deal with it.
  • Wonko33
    The idea of a tank and the concept of a tanky toon in this game are two different things. Just because a character may have the HP to tank, doesn't mean that they are necessarily tanks. Thor, in my opinion, is a perfect example of a tanky non-tank. He has all that health to facilitate his high AP cost of his skills. If we had a bunch of true tanks in the game, it would draw the game out to a crawl trying to deal with it.

Nah, cause on offense the attacker has the enormous advantage of selecting targets. Tanking only determines who is left out for the AI to whale on. So, if tanks were truly tanks in the traditional sense ... which would require a shift in some of the game's fundamental design concepts ... it would mean even more advantage to the attacker. Matches would only be longer when they were going against the attacker, and his tanks sucked up damage that would normally kill his supports.

That's why the only tanks are the ones that jump in front,
    Thing and DP
  • Malcrof
    Wonko33 wrote:
    [
    Thing and DP

Then they should add that as a caveat to Anger, make hulk jump in front. Then i would max him in a heartbeat.

I miss Hulkbombing.. alot.. Which is one of the reasons i have not leveled him to 166 yet, from what i understand, at 166 he does not tank green for KK or Thor.. heck at 141 when he was buffed over 200 in the Hulk event, he wouldn't even tank red for Thor.

I am trying to get teams ready for the DP VS MPQ event, was thinking about buying that elusive final black cover for hood and leveling him to 166, but it is coming around soon in DDQ, so maybe not. I already leveled Cyclops yesterday since he is boosted.

None of the buffed 4*s are ones i have decent covers for, although KP is at 4/01, so he will be mildly useful in his own essential, planned on putting him with SW so there is always a tile for him to poke.

so, who would be best to max out next... is hulk worth it? Should i go with a featured like Daredevil or Carol or even SG/QS? what about SW?

i will max them all eventually, but mostly want to make sure they are useful for now. All of the buffed/essential 3* and 2*s i have cover maxed.
  • the hulk strongest to lowest color are green>red>black, he can tank green for thor 3*(red>yelow>green) and maybe kamala(green) hulk anger is fantastic especially with powerfull strike tile(like green patch) only consume much health pack for hulk
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    [
    Thing and DP

Then they should add that as a caveat to Anger, make hulk jump in front. Then i would max him in a heartbeat.

I miss Hulkbombing.. alot.. Which is one of the reasons i have not leveled him to 166 yet, from what i understand, at 166 he does not tank green for KK or Thor.. heck at 141 when he was buffed over 200 in the Hulk event, he wouldn't even tank red for Thor.

I am trying to get teams ready for the DP VS MPQ event, was thinking about buying that elusive final black cover for hood and leveling him to 166, but it is coming around soon in DDQ, so maybe not. I already leveled Cyclops yesterday since he is boosted.

None of the buffed 4*s are ones i have decent covers for, although KP is at 4/01, so he will be mildly useful in his own essential, planned on putting him with SW so there is always a tile for him to poke.

so, who would be best to max out next... is hulk worth it? Should i go with a featured like Daredevil or Carol or even SG/QS? what about SW?

i will max them all eventually, but mostly want to make sure they are useful for now. All of the buffed/essential 3* and 2*s i have cover maxed.

I have Hulk and 3Thor maxed. Hulk's strongest color is greenflag.png (79). Thor only has 61 on greenflag.png. Put Hulk in center of your lineup. He will tank greenflag.pngblackflag.pngpurpleflag.pngblueflag.png for 3Thor. 3Thor will tank redflag.pngyellowflag.png ... pending your choice of a 3rd.

If you really like Hulk to tank for some tanks, roll out maxed Hulk, Cage, 3Thor. Cage tanks yellowflag.png for 3Thor, 3Thor tanks redflag.png ... Hulk tanks everything else, even the TUs. icon_twisted.gif

3rd would be Daken or Loki (if i decide to level Loki)

Looks like i need to spend some time over in the characters subsection and look at things...
  • Wonko33
    Hulk is fantastic for many transitioning rosters but becomes a situational player after. He will get you covers for a while but he doesn't scare many people anymore in PvP. ( he was a pain in the IF PvP thought because the attack tile would make him rage) - I actually had 2 of him when I was transitioning because he would get hurt so much and we only had 5 healthpacks back then

I use him a lot in PvE when I want to get rid of a bothersome node and not get my main guys hurt ( I just put him with patch and DC Octopus for hulk bombing )