Jean Grey Psychic Feedback bug

Jean Grey is new so I am not surprised that there are bugs. I have three blue covers for her Psychic Feedback. When the enemy team makes a match-5, Jean is supposed to stun the team for two turns in addition to other actions. When this happens, she does stun them for two turns. However, if my team has a character with a start-of-turn passive power (for example, Scarlet Witch's Arcane Incantation), then after that power is activated (creating the new countdown tile) at the beginning of my turn, the stun is reduced to one turn rather than two. Note that I have not yet taken a turn following the two-turn stun. This is clearly not the intended behavior. I can't confirm whether other character's start-of-turn abilities cause the same bug (e.g. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, etc.). This bug is activated when Scarlet Witch creates a new countdown tile with Arcane Incantation, but not when an existing countdown tile is counting down. I don't know if it happens when a countdown tile reaches zero. Maybe it does or does not; I try not to let the other team get a match-5 often enough to know.

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm confused by your description. My assumption about the normal behavior of the power is that the opponent gets stunned for 2 turns on their turn. So when it shortly becomes your turn, the remaining stun quickly drops to 1 turn. Are you saying that with Scarlet Witch on your team and no countdown out on the board you're seeing stun drop to zero turns right away?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The number of turns left in a stun is supposed to decrease at the beginning of the stunned character's turn. So after Feedback triggers, it should keep reading 2 until the enemies start their next turn.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The number of turns left in a stun is supposed to decrease at the beginning of the stunned character's turn. So after Feedback triggers, it should keep reading 2 until the enemies start their next turn.

What it is doing is this, it makes a match 5, JG's passive triggers, stunned for 1 turn (i only have 1 cover in it), since the match 5 technically gives them a 2nd turn, it wiggles a bit, then it is my turn, and they are now un-stunned.

So it looks as if they were never stunned, because the match 5 itself gave them an extra turn, which is the turn they were stunned for.

So at 1 cover, it basically does nothing except keep them from making another match.
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Malcrof wrote:

What it is doing is this, it makes a match 5, JG's passive triggers, stunned for 1 turn (i only have 1 cover in it), since the match 5 technically gives them a 2nd turn, it wiggles a bit, then it is my turn, and they are now un-stunned.

So it looks as if they were never stunned, because the match 5 itself gave them an extra turn, which is the turn they were stunned for.

So at 1 cover, it basically does nothing except keep them from making another match.

That's correct, 2 turn stun for Jean is I guess one full turn. A Match 5 Critical gives the team a free turn, which Jean takes away, you then have the option to use the Critical if it's still there or to make any match to take over that turn. Then you make your next match (2nd turn technically) and enemy team is free from Stun.

If the Enemy team made a Match 5 and resulted in a Cascade with subsequent Criticals, they would continue to damage your team and collect AP while also triggering her blue. This doesn't extend the team stun or anything, I had one match where enemy team made a Match 5 and then cascaded into 2 subsequent Match 5's. They did the damage and collected the AP, Jean destroyed 9 Red AP in the process, but team was still only stunned for original duration.
  • I'm seeing a bug where when the enemy team matches 5, the stun is taken away by the extra turn they're granted by the match 5, but when I match 5 I'm still stunned even after I lose the extra turn. I've double checked and the enemy team only has one cover, so I should only be stunned for one turn.
  • generalTsobot
    generalTsobot Posts: 65 Match Maker
    I am seeing the same behavior. I have one cover on Psychic Feedback and I run Jean with Loki. If the enemy team makes a match 5, Jean's Psychic Feedback fires, dealing damage to and stunning the enemy team. Loki's Mischief then fires and his countdown tiles appear. However, I am not able to make any moves, as the enemy team is immediately un-stunned (I'm sure there's a better word for that) and the enemy team's turn resumes.

The net effect is that the enemy team is merely damaged by a slight amount, but they are not effectively stunned. I'm fairly certain that this is not how Psychic Feedback is supposed to work; at least, this is not stunning an enemy team works with any other character's abilities.
  • I noticed a different issue. With JG, Hulk, and GSBW on the opposing team, I hit Hulk enough to generate two anger tiles. The first fired, which made a match-5, triggering Psychic Feedback from my JG, stunning the enemy team. However, Hulk's second Anger tile fired, even though he was stunned.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I noticed a different issue. With JG, Hulk, and GSBW on the opposing team, I hit Hulk enough to generate two anger tiles. The first fired, which made a match-5, triggering Psychic Feedback from my JG, stunning the enemy team. However, Hulk's second Anger tile fired, even though he was stunned.

since both tiles had resolved on that turn, that is an order of operations thing.. the 2nd tile was going to fire anyway regardless. The stun would have prevented him from making another tile from the aoe though.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    I noticed a different issue. With JG, Hulk, and GSBW on the opposing team, I hit Hulk enough to generate two anger tiles. The first fired, which made a match-5, triggering Psychic Feedback from my JG, stunning the enemy team. However, Hulk's second Anger tile fired, even though he was stunned.

since both tiles had resolved on that turn, that is an order of operations thing.. the 2nd tile was going to fire anyway regardless. The stun would have prevented him from making another tile from the aoe though.

Stuns usually freeze countdown tiles, though. So in the programming, it's looking at the two Anger tiles with equal countdowns as one action to be completed? If so, should that be changed to be interruptible, since he's stunned and can't match/do angry damage?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even the end of a match doesn't stop countdown tiles from processing. Granted, stunning the source of the countdown usually prevents that tile from decrementing, but my guess is that it only checks once at the start of the process. It should probably be a bit more sophisticated than that, given that there are lots of triggered events that can occur as a result of countdown effects. Given how long some bugs have been outstanding, it wouldn't surprise me if such a change would require a major refactor of the event handling code.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stuns triggered on the active team are a pretty new thing, so there's definitely some weird corner cases to it.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    This still exists. Happened last night fighting minions. Random match when first enemy CD resolved was match 5. Minions were stunned, then continued resolving countdowns. It's probably related to how Recharge will stun IM40, but let the rest of his tiles resolve. Now, Epic Black Widow will probably do this with her passive occasionally with the rare stun CD and her passive counter-stunning someone who's still resolving tiles.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 wrote:
    This still exists. Happened last night fighting minions. Random match when first enemy CD resolved was match 5. Minions were stunned, then continued resolving countdowns. It's probably related to how Recharge will stun IM40, but let the rest of his tiles resolve. Now, Epic Black Widow will probably do this with her passive occasionally with the rare stun CD and her passive counter-stunning someone who's still resolving tiles.
    What you're describing is a new bug (if it is a bug), and probably deserves a new thread and a ticket to support describing it in full detail.

This thread has been used to report several different issues with the same power, most of which weren't actually bugs but misunderstandings. I'm going to lock it to keep from muddying the water with a potential new bug.
This discussion has been closed.