PVP Teams ups, how are they determined?

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I have noticed lately that in PVP, the team-ups used by the AI have gotten more specific and powerful then a month ago. If i am fighting SW, almost always a KP poke, Fighting KK, you can bet on a thunderstrike team up, Psylocke pvp, enter more Loki trickery/moonstone control shift team ups then i have ever seen.. and they seem to be max covered.

Shield sim, i don't think i had seen so many Rage of the Panther team ups used against me in my life?

What determines the AI team up and how many covers/levels it has?

Comments

• I wondered this myself
  • I want to say that the player makes the smart selection, but is it the left or middle one that shows up in defense?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The defending team-up is randomly selected from all characters -- it doesn't even check which ones the player has in stock. I too would like to know how the character and power levels are set.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    anyone else experience getting 2 team up cast from the ai in the same match? had an insanely long LR match with a very dry board where they case both whales and .... yes, rage of the panther (yeah - no colors of note on the board, especially green or blue or red while running patch/daken). was a seed team, so low level TUs but I thought that was really weird.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2015
    Malcrof wrote:

Demiurge_Will alluded to that there is at least one table that AI team-ups draw from randomly. This is every legitimate Team-Up in the game except for a selected handful (like Sentry's Supernova that do team damage, people complained a ton, and they were removed). The covers are capped at 2, and the level is the level of the opposing team's weakest character including boosts, capped at the star-level max. If characters are boosted that week their TU is also boosted.

There won't be a Team-Up from the characters in the opposing team, and there is a tendency for certain character combinations to provide a smaller range of Team-Ups (possibly deliberately chosen by the devs). The main issue is that there are a lot more hefty AOEs, 4* Powers, and big single target hits than there used to be, and you can't not notice every time a boosted Embiggened Bash / Rage of the Panther comes through.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    The covers are capped at 2

Thank you for the explanation. I do think the part i quoted may have changed. AI team up of Clobberin Time doing 2900 damage, i don't think that is 2 covers (just ate one, poor KK)
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    The covers are capped at 2

Thank you for the explanation. I do think the part i quoted may have changed. AI team up of Clobberin Time doing 2900 damage, i don't think that is 2 covers (just ate one, poor KK)

Ouch.

The preview TU you see before the last Fight screen always provides the info from the 2-cover version of the power.

It's possible that the TU cast in-game doesn't always match the preview.
    TxMoose wrote:
    anyone else experience getting 2 team up cast from the ai in the same match? had an insanely long LR match with a very dry board where they case both whales and .... yes, rage of the panther (yeah - no colors of note on the board, especially green or blue or red while running patch/daken). was a seed team, so low level TUs but I thought that was really weird.

I have not seen that in LR, but the Ant-Man 4x Deadpool wave has one Team-Up per wave.