Boneheaded mistakes you made as a noob?

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
What are some idiotic things you did back when you didn't know any better?

For me, I didn't realize health packs regenerated, so I ended up never using them because I thought they were invaluable and hoarding them until I finally caved and used a lot and made it to 5 and slapped myself in the face when I saw they came back after time. Luckily this was still when I was a beginner so it's not like it really took my characters long to heal, but still

Also, tossing several 3 stars characters simply because I didn't know of them or liked them. I would probably have a fully covered Luke Cage and Hood at this point, but I didn't want them and had no idea how good they were so I tossed them for the 500 iso which I thought was a great deal at the time.

Comments

• Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    I put iso into Moonstone way back when.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    The first one that comes to mind is raising IM40's yellow past two covers.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    On my first try at the game I pretty much kept spending HP on the "deal" of the day. That didn't go well and I wasn't too sad when my phone died. I was the same with the HPs until I found the boards. icon_redface.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jathro wrote:
    I put iso into Moonstone way back when.
    I did this too. What was worse was I sold my Spider-Man cover for roster space when he was th best character in the game. I didn't pull another Spider-Man cover until 6 months later when he got nerffed to oblivion. I never played with perma stun. The reality is I would have not gotten the other covers needed in time anyway but still to sell the best character in the game to make room for a 2* character.
  • icon_lol.gif I use HP to buy 1* Iron Man cover icon_e_sad.gif
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i tossed a few 3* covers as well.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Link in my sig goes to an old thread about rookie mistakes.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I didn't even notice there was a tab for other events beyond Prologue until well into finishing Prologue. I think the first tab used to have Prologue and Shield Simulator, while the other tab had all time-limited events.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Worst rookie mistake was binning patch yellow my first time around. Because I only had about 5 slots and a single yellow had no offensive capacity. Never had him again for ages after that.

Caught with the regenerating health packs also
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    1) Took me several weeks to figure out health packs regenerated. I played as though they were a precious resouce since they wouldn't regen when above 5 and as such it took me a long time to finally spend below 5.

2) I never leveled Juggernaut or Ares until after I was a 4* transitioner. The reason for this is that Juggs gave the impression that self damage killed sustained play. As such I avoided all of those characters without leveling them.

3) I bought the Steam Nick Fury pack which contains a mix of HP and ISO. I should have just bought Stark Salary.

4) I didn't get around to joining an alliance for several months. It was probably a month after that when I finally visited the forums.

5) I'd level any 3* as I covered them rather than preserve ISO and spend it when things mattered. As such I'd have characters like Daredevil at a surprisingly high level (115 or so) which prevented me from having that ISO for characters who could have made life easier.

The key lesson to learn here is that as soon as you plan to take a game seriously...go check out it's forums for tips/guides and general advice. I knew enough not to blow HP on ** covers or spend it on packs so I got lucky there.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too much tongue.
  • Argon Flame
    Argon Flame Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Health packs regenerate!?

Also opened tokens way faster than I could afford HP for slots so wasted a bunch that timed out.

My first look at PvP seed teams also scared me: how could my roster take on a lvl 70 patch even though the there were two low levels??

Also feel bad for repeated attacks on Pyromantic (and other seed teams) ..
  • vcorsac
    vcorsac Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    As a 1* player I sold my OBW with 4-5 covers because I pulled a GSBW.

I think my logic was something like this:
    1. I don't need 3 of the same character
    2. The higher the stars the better
    3. I already invested iso in MBW but not OBW
    4. Most of my covers for OBW were in black which I didn't understand at the time. Also, actives were way cooler than passives.
    5. The only other cover I had was 1 blue which did no damage.
    6. Her purple was the "same" as MBW which I already had invested iso in.

To make things worse, I could have instead sold Yelena or Bagman.

It would be at least another 6 months before I optimally covered GSBW.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    i thought bagman was great
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    i joined the forums. Big mistake.

Biggest noob mistake though, got a 4* starlord purpleflag.png on day 3 or 4, and i rostered him, having no other character above level 15.. then i tried to join a PVE, yah, that was fun, don't think i finished more than 2 or 3 subs total the entire event.

he did make prologue (where i spent the next couple weeks) very easy though.

200+ days later, that is still my only Starlord cover lol.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    Selling off 3 stars during the beta when I had not fully grasped the 'conceit' of the game. I lost a few Magneto covers this way, and thus missed the glory days of smacking people for 8.5k with 10 purple.
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Iso in wrong places/characters.

Selling 3* characters, no matter how seldom used.

And a big one, jumping from alliance to alliance instead of just finding a good place that fits best with your style of play/amount you play.
  • Selling off 3 stars during the beta when I had not fully grasped the 'conceit' of the game. I lost a few Magneto covers this way, and thus missed the glory days of smacking people for 8.5k with 10 purple.

this game does seem to farm conceit quite a bit.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    I leveled Venom.
    Thats about it, I got lucky and had someone explain the game to me, though in fairness I too regret launching attacks on Pyromantic.

RIP Pyromantic's seed team. You were never allowed to Freon.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    - trashed 3-4 Xforce, he was junk back then and 4* were a drag, impossible to find covers and level. Then they boosted him and every defeat to a xforce team in PvP was a reminder of my stupidity. Ended up having to buy 1 black cover and 2 green ones - even then he was 5 green, 5 black, 1 yellow for ever

- ditto on the health pack OP

- I thought all boosts cost HP to buy so I never used them, sitting on piles of ISO barely scrapping by a few wins, out of health pack because of slow matches. Skipping for 100s of ISO when I could have beat those teams with boosts.