In PvP. show opponent's max event score next to points

Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I forgot how infuriating PvP could be. I want the Carnage blacktile.png , and it's available at 1300 points.

So, I got up to 1287, lost 94 points while playing for 40 more points, treaded water for awhile to fight up to 1240, then lost 347 while playing 1 game! I gave up there.

If my max score had been posted ... if the guys saw my max score was 1287 points ... they might pick some other node, and wallop me a few minutes later when my max score was 1300+ points.

Similarly, if I'm going for 1300 or some other score, and I get a node worth 70 points, but the person has a max score of 1250, then I would probably wait a little while before attacking that node.

It would add some player decency to the game... the equivalent of letting them put their beer down before smashing them in the face with a pool table. It's like letting them finish a call to their friend before kicking their car over a cliff. It's like letting them put their last house payment in the mail before blowing it up. It's like letting them put their dog inside before hurling them up into the atmosphere. Just a tiny bit of decency to make the game more fun to play.

Comments

• nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I wish that would matter but if your opponent is the same score as you but with an easy team, how many skip that.

I really wish more had the courtesy, but it's only going to happen in a perfect world.

1 minute auto shield cool downs after being attacked, even if you didn't lose the points or some other safety would be nice. I don't understand the harm I trying more options.

I imagine it's the old if it's not broke don't fix it issue in terms of revenue.

But devs goodwill isn't free.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    nwman wrote:
    I wish that would matter but if your opponent is the same score as you but with an easy team, how many skip that.

Oh, you wouldn't skip the person. They might be worth 70 points! Skip them? That would be crazy.

But you might be prompted to wait a few minutes before killing them.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    You mean like it used to be, before they changed it, claiming that showing the points was "too confusing"?

Instead we got the "points for victory" which was supposed to update to always show the current value.

Judging by the number of threads that pop up each PVP complaining about how these points are wrong, I'd say this change has removed a lot of confusion, yes.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    You mean like it used to be, before they changed it, claiming that showing the points was "too confusing"?

Instead we got the "points for victory" which was supposed to update to always show the current value.

Judging by the number of threads that pop up each PVP complaining about how these points are wrong, I'd say this change has removed a lot of confusion, yes.
    I completely agree with OP. When I was climbing to 1000 I needed 30 points and found someone for 40. I won 20. I had to find someone again quickly to attack so I could shield and still get 1000 point progression.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:

I completely agree with OP. When I was climbing to 1000 I needed 30 points and found someone for 40. I won 20. I had to find someone again quickly to attack so I could shield and still get 1000 point progression.
    In case I wasn't clear enough, I and pretty much everyone else preferred it when they showed opponents' points instead of how it is now.

But since devs changed it with the reason given in my previous post, there's not much chance for that.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    literally 100% of the time i'm close to any progression higher than 200 i'm attacked in the middle of the match win that would put me over the progression. and when i say 100% i'm not exaggerating. it happens every time.

but hey, at least you can get up over 1000. i'm stuck in the 400-500 range before i'm pummelled.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Nonce, don't rely on people's decency. You aren't in any PvP truces or agreements that I know of, and even if many forumites would give you some courtesy waiting time, most players don't visit forums. Improve your roster, or shield after getting this close in the first place.
    We used to have total points shown and got it taken from us, so doubt we'd get it back.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    If my max score had been posted ... if the guys saw my max score was 1287 points ... they might pick some other node, and wallop me a few minutes later when my max score was 1300+ points.

Similarly, if I'm going for 1300 or some other score, and I get a node worth 70 points, but the person has a max score of 1250, then I would probably wait a little while before attacking that node.

Don't think it'll work that way. Too much self-interest involved.

What I would love, though, is a reliable indicator of how many points a battle will be worth when I finish it. Incorrect numbers have cost me more than one 4* progression award.
  • Last night's pvp, with 5 mins left, I had a node that would solidfy a top 5 for me. Problem was that that person was less than 20 points away from 1300 and they had broken shield. I decided to take another node and ended up losing.

No regrets though, fighting to 1300 is a pain in the butt so I couldn't do it to that person. I would like to see what their max score too so that I know not to touch them near a big progression.

Edit: added stuff.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I see points not names. You are only 1 point away from a progression award I wouldn't care, if I can beat a player for a lot of points with minimum risk I am going to tap that, most likely twice if possible. Not a popular view but an honest one.

The decent thing that developers can do is to deduct points lost AFTER your victory points have been added as like most I get frustrated at being one match away from a progression award only to lose out on son called defensive losses.