Why as a noob am I in Vet brackets?

Tony_Foot
Tony_Foot Posts: 1,789 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I like PVP but it's really boiling my blood icon_evil.gif . For a while now I have been in a bracket that's taking hours of play just to try to stay in the top 300. I have not hit the 90 days progression for play yet. I play every day but that's the only reason I can see for why I am in presumably Vet brackets.

For the last pvp I used over 20 health packs stored to score around 400 points at the finish. I was at 620 at one point but as fast as I was putting it on I was losing double in the last hour. 620 points at the time was just in the T150.

The winner of my PVP had 1624 (Noisy fly) 10th was 1224. I finished about 230 and all the places around me are deep into 3 star.

I don't even have a maxed 2 star!

My top 5 are Antman with 4 covers lvl 94, Mags 88, Storm 88, Thor 87 and Ares 86. I have a stack of 3 stars with one or two covers. Scarlet witch is level 80 with 5 covers.

So why am I consistently in a vet bracket for pvp? I like a challenge but this isn't fun at all icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Your expectations might need a bit of moderating. At this stage of the game, you are placed right about where you should be, in fact, maybe slightly over that. Top 150 for your roster is excellent. Keep that part up. You may benefit more from playing some PVE. With that sort of roster, I suspect you'd make top 100 easily, maybe even top 50 in events, and you can build up your roster. Continue doing that, and do DDQ daily, and you're on your way towards a decent PVP score.

This topic has been debated to death in the past, with people expecting top 100 rewards in PVP when their roster is really not built for PVP at that time. You'd be wise to do a bit of a search on this. It sounds like what you're experiencing is just the frustration of the transition. This is normal. While I can certainly relate (a search of my posts will show you that early in my MPQ time I made similar comments), this is a situation where patience will pay off.

[Edited multiple times for clarity]
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just a quick bit of advice to add, hold off on sinking any ISO into 3*s and 4*s just yet. Normally you want 10 covers + before you pop them up. Focus on getting a solid core of 2*s to 94 with the proper coverings, and you will find it getting quite a bit easier.
  • Tony_Foot
    Thanks for the confirmation I was what I was fearing, that this is indeed normal icon_e_biggrin.gif I guess I just naively thought I would be put with other 2 star players also well away from the transition to battle it out, rather than a top 100 full of well covered 3 and 4 star players icon_lol.gif Especially 90 days in.

I think I might just start on Pve a bit harder and just play an hour on each pvp for now. icon_e_smile.gif
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Were you playing in pvp non-vet brackets before? What was your experience/ average score/ranking previously?
  • Tony Foot wrote:
    Thanks for the confirmation I was what I was fearing, that this is indeed normal icon_e_biggrin.gif I guess I just naively thought I would be put with other 2 star players also well away from the transition to battle it out, rather than a top 100 full of well covered 3 and 4 star players icon_lol.gif Especially 90 days in.

I think I might just start on Pve a bit harder and just play an hour on each pvp for now. icon_e_smile.gif

Im having great results by just thwacking the 3 seed teams in PVP and getting minimum reward, and focusing on top placement in PVE to get my 3 star covers. It gets tougher during 4 star releases, but basically, if you work to max progression for 3 stars for current event, and place high enough to unlock essentials for next event, you can get anywhere from 2-5 covers for a 3 star over 2 events. And you don't have other players actively tearing down your point score to raise their own, you just have to make sure to keep pace.
  • Tony_Foot
    cyineedsn wrote:
    Were you playing in pvp non-vet brackets before? What was your experience/ average score/ranking previously?

Yeah I was until I got 1 black carnage cover from a pve (iirc) and then it went to hell icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Average score prior to that was somewhere in the top 50-150 450-550 points. Rarely did I get near 650.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Yeah I was until I got 1 black carnage cover from a pve (iirc) and then it went to hell icon_e_biggrin.gif
    Average score prior to that was somewhere in the top 50-150 450-550 points. Rarely did I get near 650.

Just an FYI, some of my alliance mates scored nearly 800 in the last PVP and ended up out of the top 100. The scores needed for top 100 have changed with the influx of new characters and more wanted characters (IF, LC, Hood) and the results are reflective of this.

In the hood PVP, I barely made top 50 with a score of over 1000. Just for comparison.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 60 days old noob alt account has been in vet brackets for both pv and pvp since about 2-3 weeks of play. At the time I didn't have maxed 1*s yet. Normal.

I really should post more about this, some of the advice here is no longer optimal.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    It took me a long time at the 2* stage before I really started accelerating. Given your description of your roster, I'd try to score 300-400 points and sit unshielded. 300 gets you the token (guaranteed 2* or better cover, better chance than normal at the featured character); 400 gets you some HP.

We're now in Season 17. Time slices began last December. Just before time slices started, my solid 2* roster was starting to occasionally reach the 500 point progression award. After that, it was a struggle (especially for seasons 13/14, which did away with seed teams entirely and were ugly).

Season 16 was the first one where I started breaking 500 semi-reliably. This season is the first one where I'm breaking 575 semi-reliably. I can now pull off top 100 finishes without speed bracketing (but usually requiring a one-shield investment)

Hope the perspective helps. (Today was day 360)