Character Ability Poll - July 2015 PART TWO: RESULTS

Options
Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
Greetings fellow players,

The results are in! I received such positive feedback from the prior April poll and the most recent July poll. Many players requested different questions so I decided to make a Part 2. We received over 100 in 3 days. Thank you everyone for participating and giving me suggestions/feedback along the way.

Categories Include:
Best Stun Character
Best Trap or Unique Tile Character
Best Character Counter-Attack (Against Special Tiles)
Best Passive Ability
Best Overall Red Skill
Best Overall Black Skill
Best Overall Blue Skill
Best Overall Purple Skill
Best Overall Green Skill
Best Overall Yellow Skill

Poll History:
April 2015 Poll: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=14&t=28154
July 2015 Poll Part 1: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=14&t=31552

The voting process remained the same from the recent July poll. Due to all of the choices per question, I allowed the participant to choose one than one answer. Interestingly many players still tried to limit their answer to one while other players chose 5 answers or more. Perhaps next time I’ll set the required amount of votes per question. Well without further ado below is the Top 5 from each category with some added commentary. This time I added the characters who received 0% too!

Results in two comments below:

Comments

• Punisher5784
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. Best Stun Character:
    55%: Captain America (Steve Rogers & Modern) – Peacemaker
    37%: Storm (Classic) – Wind Storm
    33%: Daredevil – Billy Club
    17%: Scarlet Witch – Reality Crush
    16% TIE: Spider-Man – All Tied Up & Thor (Goddess of Thunder) – Power Surge

I want to start off with an apology that I missed Black Widow (Modern). Although she is only a 1*, she has one of the best stuns in the game at 5 turns which makes a great T/U. No surprise that Captain America won this one. For awhile DD was closely behind but ultimately lost to Storm. DD and Cap’s stun skills are very similar that as long as their CD’s are out you can keep the opponent stunned. Scarlet Witch likely could place higher if her stun AOE was not random, unlike Storm’s where you can choose the opponent you want stunned. Spider-Man and 4hor have obviously lost momentum from their prior nerfs. Characters with 0% of votes include: Hawkeye and Thing. Thing could gain some votes when more players acquire his covers.

2. Best Trap or Unique Tile Character
    57%: Nick Fury - Demolition
    35%: Dr. Doom – Diabolical Plot
    25%: Dare Devil – Ambush
    21%: Ant-Man – Pym Particles
    18%: Professor Xavier – Blind Spot

I know many players were clamoring for DD’s victory, but ultimately Nick Fury won this category, hands down. While DD’s Ambush is a great damage dealer, you can simply bring Daken/Blade to place red strike tiles that overwrite DD’s trap. Nick Fury does not have to worry as his traps can be anywhere! He makes the battle field alittle scary and is one of the most annoying T/U’s the opponent can throw at you! Doom’s trap need no introduction, he can simply one-shot you if you aren’t denying him purple. The new Ant-Man received a good amount of votes, likely because we have a whole month to play him in Growth Industry. He beat fellow 4* Professor X, who can hide from attacks while buffing special tiles. Again devs, take note, this is how you release a 4*! Honorable mention to Elektra who received 15% of the votes for her two trap skills, it’s interesting because she received 0% in every category in the recent poll so maybe players do somewhat like her. Only 0% vote went to Ragnarok, wonder why…!

3. Best Character Counter-Attach (Against Special Tiles)
    53%: Loki – Trickery
    37%: Falcon – Redwing
    24%: Ant-Man – Small Times Crooks
    20%: Daredevil – Radar Sense
    17%: Jean Grey – Mind Over Matter

Originally this question was going to be just Counter-Attacks, and it included Hulk “Anger” and Thing “Rock Solid,” but there were so many counters against special tiles that I thought this would be more appropriate. Loki dominated this category. It helps that he’s been changing enemy strike/protect tiles since the beginning of the game. Although he doesn’t change attack tiles, pairing him with Patch is essential! Falcon surprisingly came in second, while I love his ability, it has lost most of its usefulness since more characters spam multiple tiles, Redwing needs to be 1-turn or allow you to place which special tile to replace. Ant-Man again is showing some face, I absolutely love his character, very fun to play with. DD Radar Sense needs more damage to be useful but he’s still another fun character to use. New to the game is Jean Grey whose already top tier in the game! Expect her to take over MPQ. Honorable mention to Doc Ock who beat Carnage 12% to 3%! Those wondering, She Hulk only secured 5%, the recent nerf/fix did not help her. 0% goes to Vision, poor Vision, cool in the movie, horrible in the game.

4. Best Passive Ability:
    47%: Hood – Dormammu’s Aid
    34%: Loki – Mischief
    30% TIE: Luke Cage – Breakable & Iron Fist – Exquisite Technique
    26%: Professor Xavier – Master Plan & Psychic Convergence
    25%: Blade – The Thirst

This was a tough category! Most players picked about 5 choices. Hood won with a commanding lead, there’s no stopping Dormammu’s Aid. Loki’s “Mischief” is my personal favorite against the AI’s cascading ways. Tie between Luke Cage and IF, players could not decide which Hero for Hire’s passive is better! Professor Xavier or Professor Passive I like to call him is the ultimate Support character. Healing took a back seat in this category as Blade’s “Thirst” surprisingly beat out competitors Daken (23%), Patch (22%), KK and Grocket (15%). Shocked KK was so low in the votes despite many players covering her at 5/3/5. 0% included but not surprising: Carnage, Deadpool, Quicksilver.

5. Best Overall Red Skill
    61%: Captain America (Steve Rogers & Modern) – Star Spangled Avenger
    35%: Iron Man (Hulk Buster) – Repulsor Punch
    27%: Cyclops – Optic Blasts
    17%: Human Torch (Classic & Johnny Storm) – Fireball
    16%: Deadpool – A Little Off the Top

Captain America dominating the red skill is no surprise since he won “Best Single Target Skill” on the July poll. Far behind is Hulk Buster but as I stated in the last poll, he’ll gain momentum when more players cover him. You cannot go wrong with Cyclops’ red, although it’s a random row he destroys, it does major damage and it helps that he’s a red AP generator. If I made this poll last year, Human Torch would have won, even with the recent health buffs, players still aren’t using him despite his low cost red. Deadpool rounded up the T5, it’s a great ability but it’s a shame you cannot kill anyone with it (unless you have strike tiles)! For those wondering, DD “Ambush” only secured 11%. 0% included: Ares, GSBW, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Devil Dino, Gamora, Hawkeye, Hulk, IM40, Moonstone, Ragnarok, Sentry, Vision. Unsurprisingly most of the 0% characters need a buff.
  • Punisher5784
    edited August 2015
    Options
    6. Best Overall Black Skill:
    60%: Cyclops – Full Blast
    51%: Black Panther – Rage of the Panther
    46%: Wolverine (X-Force) – Surgical Strike
    16%: Luke Cage – Jab, Jab, Cross
    15%: Iron Fist – Exquisite Technique

As with Steve Roger’s in Red, the other Single Target Damager winner, Cyclops won his perspective category. For awhile BP was in the lead, but ultimately players love Cyclops. Last year, X-Force would have won this category, but he was not too far behind in the votes, his black is still deadly despite the lack of AP drain/gain. Heroes for Hire rounded up the T5. Luke Cage is my personal favorite as I love punching people in the face stunning them for high damage, especially when paired with IF. However, the CPU does not know how to properly use this skill which hurts his votes. 0% included: Carnage, Elektra, Gamora, Punisher. Remember when Punisher had the best black skill in the game… two years ago! Carnage has not secured many votes amongst the players, he’s just too risky to use, and has become nothing more than an annoying enemy in PVE with goons.

7. Best Overall Blue Skill:
    44%: Magneto (Classic) – Magnetized Projectiles
    39%: Hood – Dormammu’s Aid
    28%: Nick Fury – Demolition
    26% TIE: Captain America (Steve Rogers) –Peacemaker, Black Widow (Original) – Anti-Gravity Device, & Storm (Classic) – Wind Storm
    22%: Professor Xavier – Master Plan

And the winner goes to Hoo.. Magneto! Someone had to stop Dormammu’s Aid in one category and it deservedly went to top tier Magneto, his blue does devastating damage. I’ll never forget the first time I faced him, CMag moved around a couple of tiles, I laughed until I noticed he just killed my Wolverine in one shot! In the first 3-way tie it went to technically 3 2* characters, all very useful abilities and must have blue skills. 0% include Black Panther, Hawkeye, Invisible Woman, MNMag, Mystique, Psylocke, Quicksilver, Ragnarok, She-Hulk, Vision. Notice the trend of those with 0% either need a buff or were nerfed.

8. Best Overall Purple Skill:
    52%: Deadpool – Whales! Whales! Whales!
    36% TIE: Black Widow (Original) – Aggressive Recon & Iron Fist – Iron Fist of K’un-Lun
    23%: Black Widow (Grey Suit) – Deceptive Tactics
    20%: Blade – Keep Your Enemies Closer
    16%: Scarlet Witch – Reality Crush

Originally this category was going to be called “Purple/Pink” for those players who don’t know what color these skills are (haha). Deadpool whaled his way to the Top Purple. He won the AOE last poll and deservingly won this. For newer players, if you have the DP points, you can beat ANY match. Use him every day to win DP points! Tie between a 2* and 3*, IF won “Best AP Generator” last poll but there’s no denying OBW as she is useful even after the 3* transition. OBW beat out her 3* counterpart in GSBW, as great as Deceptive Tactics is, especially with Professor X, the CPU does not know how to use her properly. No surprises with Blade and Scarlet Witch but I am surprised Doom only secured 11%, he has one of the most brutal purples in the game. Also surprised Loki only secured 10% considering he won “Best Board Shaker” last poll for its cheap cost. 0% included: Devil Dino, Elektra, and Falcon.

9. Best Overall Green Skill:
    65%: Thor (Marvel Now & Modern) – Call the Storm
    36%: Kamala Khan – Embiggened Bash
    28%: Black Widow (Grey Suit) – Sniper Rifle
    25% TIE: Patch – Berserker Rage & Loki - Mischief
    12%: Blade – The Thirst

Maybe this should have been called the “Best Green AOE.” For awhile KK and Thor were neck and neck but in the end Thor came out on top. It helps that Thor has both a 2* and 3*, while also having a more reliable green generator compared to KK. Amusingly, the two characters I consider the peanut butter and jelly of MPQ tied with Green, Patch and Loki. My teammate refuses to slot Loki so yesterday I showed him how good those two are together, he regrets selling over 20 Loki covers haha. Overall, not many surprises in this category. Those wondering XForce only secured 7%. 0% included Carnage, Doc Oct, Quick Silver, Ragnarok, Sentry, Squirrel Girl.

10. Best Overall Yellow Skill.
    49%: Thor (Marvel Now & Modern) – Thunder Strike
    44%: Luke Cage – Righteous Uppercut
    26%: Patch – Heal Factor
    21%: Kamala Khan – Bring Out the Best
    17%: Hood – Twin Pistols

Thor won another category and no surprise as his yellow is not only does good damage but is a green outlet to his AOE. If Luke Cage had a yellow AP generator he could pair with, maybe he would have won. Passive power in Patch and KK secured T3 and 4, while high cost turn ending Hood yellow finished the T5, respectfully. Overall, we need better yellow skills as I always feel this color is lacking useful skills. 0% included: Beast, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Star-Lord, Vision.

Thank you everyone for participating and viewing this post. Post some comments below on your thoughts. I’ll release Part 1 and 2 of the poll next quarter, November/December. I am sure there will be major changes between now and then, especially with the 4* tier. Enjoy the game!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Survey done.. forgot how much i love using Daredevil.
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Survey done.. forgot how much i love using Daredevil.

Much appreciated.

I have my DD fully covered but I rarely use him. He looks like he would be fun for PVE but I can never get enough AP to use his abilities before the match ends. He was my stun guy against Hulk before I earned more Steve Roger's blue covers.
  • ECOcrush
    ECOcrush Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    I tried to limit my responses to one per question but it was too hard.

I had to do two responses for most but a couple questions I picked 3 answers for.

(Daredevil totally has the best red ability!)
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    ECOcrush wrote:
    I tried to limit my responses to one per question but it was too hard.

I had to do two responses for most but a couple questions I picked 3 answers for.

(Daredevil totally has the best red ability!)

Agreed, that's why I had to allow multiple answers because there's so many good abilities for specific situations that it is difficult to choose just one!

DD is currently in second behind Steve Rogers red ability. Could end up closer as we gain more participants. Thanks for participating!
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    I have 50% of the needed votes already! Almost there, start voting everyone! icon_lol.gif

Thank you
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Some are very dificult choices (looking at passives wow) I had to vote 3 in each question!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Very difficult choice for most questions.

For Octopus, you might want to add his blue (Manipulation?) for the special tile counter question. Not that it will get a lot of votes, but using that one after a Hailstorm is something else.
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    Very difficult choice for most questions.

For Octopus, you might want to add his blue (Manipulation?) for the special tile counter question. Not that it will get a lot of votes, but using that one after a Hailstorm is something else.

Ah you're right. I'll have it added! Thanks.
  • Good survey again, though i did miss modern black widows widow sting in the best blue power list
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    Mark 11995 wrote:
    Good survey again, though i did miss modern black widows widow sting in the best blue power list

Damn you're right I completely missed MBWs Stin ability. It's def one of the best 1* skills. I'll make notevto add it for next time if I run this poll again
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    We reached the required number of votes. Closing the poll. Thank you everyone for participating. I'll have the results up soon.
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    Results are up! I edited the first 3 comments. Enjoy and thanks for participating icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • The results from the three polls are pretty awesome. One thing I'm surprised by though is CMags Coercive Field didn't make top 5 on best overall yellow and Punisher's Retribution saw no love in overall red or single target damage. Coercive field can over write any tile including countdowns and is one of the best protect tile generators and well retribution has no cap on how much damage it does really, its all dependent upon how much health your opponent has. The bigger the foe the better, I love offing Ultron with Punisher.

On another note just wanna say thanks. I've learned alot so far and have since started working on patch, doctor doom, and loki. I'm sure I'll level many more based off what I've learned eventually. Poll's really informative and I look forward to more.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Results are up! I edited the first 3 comments. Enjoy and thanks for participating icon_e_biggrin.gif

Daredevil ranked top 4 in all 3 of his abilities, and people are still down on him... i love using him.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The hood is great, but with this last pve, just taking IF means you can take out the hood before Dormammu’s Aid causes too many problems.
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    nwman wrote:
    The hood is great, but with this last pve, just taking IF means you can take out the hood before Dormammu’s Aid causes too many problems.

As long as they keep his health low, Daken/Falcon and IF kill Hood in a few turns with match damage alone.
  • I think everybody forgets about colossus. His read not only does over 3000 to a specific target, but also does 900 to the other teammates. His black is also very useful, which does 1400 damage to the enemy and although it does 150 to your selected player, he activates a move without using ap. very underrated in terms of using with people who have very strong moves such as doom or fury
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    Brarskol wrote:
    I think everybody forgets about colossus. His read not only does over 3000 to a specific target, but also does 900 to the other teammates. His black is also very useful, which does 1400 damage to the enemy and although it does 150 to your selected player, he activates a move without using ap. very underrated in terms of using with people who have very strong moves such as doom or fury

Colossus ultimately got overshadowed for two reasons: He was vaulted for a few seasons and Luke Cage's release. Other reasons include, players complaining about the AP Cost for Black and His Yellow not aborbing strike/attack tiles properly. I do like Colossus, I wish I had more covers for him (I keep pulling Yellow!), but I can see why players rather use someone else in his slot.