Uncommon vs Legendary

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
There are 14 2* characters available. These are "Uncommon".
There are 14 4* characters available (when Jean Grey arrives). These are "Legendary".

Are they? 2*'s are everywhere, tons of topics on the front page right now have the argument in them that 2*'s are to frequent. 4*'s are incredibly difficult to obtain, even more topics on the front page right now (and over the last six months...) have the argument in them that the 4* transition time/ability is ridiculous.

Q&A aside, it is time to re-consider the rarity of characters, both how rare they "should" be and how they "should" be available to players. I'd love to hear opinions and ideas on this. Coming in here, my first idea:

All 2*'s become 1*'s, and the 1*'s get merged in (adding 7 characters to this level). Health and level of current 2*'s could be the same, 1*'s could be raised up. Two-ability characters could slowly be given a third ability, to allow their level to become 94. They are found in standard tokens, early in event rewards, and still dropped for random win rewards - early game easy to find, late game quick to sell.

3*'s remain the same (level/health), but are now called 2*'s. "Uncommon"....they are found more frequently now, and can be added even more frequently.

4*'s remain the same, but are now called 3*'s.

And of course - as characters are added, ISO/HP is -scaled- higher throughout the game, so players can get them on their roster, keep them on their roster, and have a chance to level them.

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    the 4* transition time/ability is ridiculous.
    Agreed, but making them 3*s just accelerates the move to the next tier we'd have to start chasing. Pumping more ISO into the system is what needs to happen. I don't think the rate of cover drops needs to be changed drastically. Thanks to 3* buffs, you don't need 4*s to get 4*s. Even if you ignore PvE and lucky token drops, you can get over a dozen 4*s a month just from PvP and season awards. That seems like a fair rate to me.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would just give all 1*'s to characters free, with no roster slots taken, they are fully covered and leveled you can + or - at your choosing. Or once you lock in you would have to pay 25 HP to get a cover. Then all you would ever get from standard tokens is uncommon, rare, legendary. Heroic tokens need 2*'s completely removed from them and I think all would be well with the world.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would love if Heroic Tokens simply removed the 2*'s and increase rates for 3/4*. Increase the 2* % on Standards.

The 1-2* Transition is much faster now and the 2*-3* transition is getting skipped by many new players in favor of obtaining 3*'s. There's no point in constantly throwing 2*'s at us when everyone wants and needs 3/4*s.

I would even favor a new 3/4* only token introduced and rewarded:
    PVE: T250 subevents and 1 per progression
    PVP: 650 and 900pt progression
    DDQ: Taco for Required 3*
    SHIELD SIM: 1600pt progression
    Season: 10pk is ONLY 3/4*'s
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I like the idea of tokens with only 3* and 4* possibilities as well. Even if, just like Anniversary Week, it happens once a year. Heck, they do it for one day or create a small window of opportunity in which to do so. Maybe like a DDQ event where you can only obtain a predetermined number of tokens from the event that guarantee a 3* or 4* pull, then the usual offer of buying packs for additional odds. I just think that there's a BIG difference between OBTAINING a cover and actually LEVELING the character. It seems this is where the disconnect lies, especially with 4*'s. Sure, I have a Professor X cover (which is useless right now since it's purpleflag.png ), but how long until land additional covers? How long until I can actually max him at 13 covers? How long to obtain enough ISO to build him to max level? I think that's the bigger issue when you talk about transitioning, most specifically from 3* to 4*.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think some kind of "trade-in" feature would be great for unwanted covers. Maybe something like 20 2* covers for a 3* cover of your choice, and 10 3* covers for a 4* of your choice.

I haven't wanted or needed a 2* for ages, and I'm getting to the point where even receiving a gold from a token more often than not results in disappointment. Having some way to mitigate that disappointment would be awesome. I still don't have a fully covered 4* (just hit day 531) and the transition, while easier than it's ever been, is still not really friendly for players who don't want to grind PVE and/or shield-hop PVP.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's funny how often this conversation comes up yet so many completely forget that the vast majority of players are not looking for 3* or 4* characters only. We here on the forum are a small fraction of the overall player base. And those unwashed masses are overwhelmingly of the 1* and 2* roster sort. I will make a completely spurious and unenforceable guarantee that you will never ever ever ever see 2* pulls being removed from gold tokens. Ever. Never ever.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think some kind of "trade-in" feature would be great for unwanted covers. Maybe something like 20 2* covers for a 3* cover of your choice, and 10 3* covers for a 4* of your choice.

I haven't wanted or needed a 2* for ages, and I'm getting to the point where even receiving a gold from a token more often than not results in disappointment. Having some way to mitigate that disappointment would be awesome. I still don't have a fully covered 4* (just hit day 531) and the transition, while easier than it's ever been, is still not really friendly for players who don't want to grind PVE and/or shield-hop PVP.

I've suggested this before as well, I'd love a random 4* for ten 3* covers at this point. I'm sure most starting out would take a random 3* for ten 2* covers as well.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would settle for the removal of all 2* cover from any tokens except standards. If you are doing well enough in any event to pick the a token progression reward the chances are you already have a fairly decent 2* roster, plus 1 and 2* covers are thrown at you like candy in the PvP arena and Shield Simulator.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I would settle for the removal of all 2* cover from any tokens except standards. If you are doing well enough in any event to pick the a token progression reward the chances are you already have a fairly decent 2* roster, plus 1 and 2* covers are thrown at you like candy in the PvP arena and Shield Simulator.

Would have to keep them in the vault, newer players need those 2*s as they build their rosters and are able to complete the token nodes.

Just not so many of them in there.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:

Would have to keep them in the vault, newer players need those 2*s as they build their rosters and are able to complete the token nodes.

Just not so many of them in there.

If it means it is just The Vault I get my daily Moonstone fix from I can deal with that icon_e_smile.gif
  • My proposed solution.

2 New proposed Token types
    Super Tokens: Only gets you 3* or 4* heroes.
    Legendary Tokens: Only gets you 4* heroes.

Also new Token fragments will be added. If you get 10 of any type of Fragment you get one pull of that kind of token.

Unwanted 1*s can be turned into iso as normal OR a Heroic Fragment for each power level they have.
    Unwanted 2*s can be turned into iso as normal OR a Super Fragment for each power level they have.
    Unwanted 3*s can be turned into iso as normal OR a Legendary Fragment for each power level they have.
    Unwanted 4*s can be turned into iso as normal OR 2 Legendary Fragments for each power level they have. (Until they add 5* characters)

At first glance that may look crazy with the handing out of fragments based on power level, but a full 13 cover hero would only get you ONE pull from the next level.

Side Note: They could even add some options for late game players to get Heroic Fragments instead of 1* covers right away (so you don't have to go through the work of changing them in.)

What do you all think?

-SadKitchen
  • SuperRecoome
    SuperRecoome Posts: 59 Match Maker
    If they did this, I'd love a level 94 Juggs, I'd be using him with my 3 stars for sure. at 94 He'd be better than a bunch of the 3 star characters we have now.