Solution to Excess Covers - Level with Covers

Options
Stax the Foyer
Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Splitting this off into a General thread because discussing multiple different things in one thread gets confusing, but it's still tied to the Q&A Video and the developer comments there.

The ISO sale price of covers is pretty small, considering their relative rarity and the work involved in earning it. Since selling covers for HP is dead and gone, it would be nice to have an option to use an unwanted cover to raise the level of a same-tier character.

So if you had an extra Spiderman 3* cover, you could use it to give your Cyclops an extra level. All those Moonstones could be used to level Moonstones or other 2* characters, meaning that characters of a lower tier wouldn't be left behind. You could still sell them for ISO if you wanted, but you'd get more value out of leveling a lower tier character with them (for lower tier characters with some levels on them).

If the UI for cover selection would be difficult, you could have an option to sell covers for a level token of the appropriate rank, and then spend those tokens to buy a level increase. If necessary, it could be tied to the specific character, rather than the tier, but with that limitation, it might make sense to give more than one level increase per cover.

This would functionally increase the sale value of covers for those who need ISO the most -- the people who are buying the last few levels of a given character -- and encourage continued development of a broader roster that's not just focused on the next available tier.

Comments

• Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    Options
    A reasonable request would be to make all covers color agnostic. So when you get a cover for a character, you can apply it to any power/color.

Your suggestion would be great, I doubt D3 would consider such an idea because it would probably decrease HP spending a significant amount. Even whales would be able to stock up on 4* awards and then apply them to new 4* characters.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the very least they should let us bank all 15 covers but only have 13 active
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like your ideas. Or a trading feature would be nice too. Instead of selling maybe just give it to someone who needs it, in your alliance? But I leaning more towards your ideas much better I think.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Options
    A reasonable request would be to make all covers color agnostic. So when you get a cover for a character, you can apply it to any power/color.

Your suggestion would be great, I doubt D3 would consider such an idea because it would probably decrease HP spending a significant amount. Even whales would be able to stock up on 4* awards and then apply them to new 4* characters.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that covers be used to raise cover levels for other characters (not that I'd complain).

This suggestion is much more modest: That an unusable/unwanted cover could be used to raise the level of a character (from 165 to 166, for example), instead of ISO.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I really like this suggestion.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Let us trade within alliance

Same number of stars ; 3* for a 3* , etc
    Make both party pay a HP trade fee to D3: 600HP for a 3*, 1000HP for 4* . So both party pay 1000HP to make a 4* trade.

We get half price cover we want out of undesirable covers , they get something too
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that covers be used to raise cover levels for other characters (not that I'd complain).

This suggestion is much more modest: That an unusable/unwanted cover could be used to raise the level of a character (from 165 to 166, for example), instead of ISO.
    Basicly what you are saying is using an unusable cover to just level a like tier character. Selling it for ISO is the same thing. The easier fix would be to just increase the value of 3* and 4* covers. Right now a unusable 4* is only worth 1000 ISO which if you are going to 4* is not much ISO at all. 3* should sell for 1500 ISO and 4* should sell for 5000. 2* and 1* should remain fairly low since they are so abundant.

I think this would be easier to implement and allow for more leveling.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    At the very least they should let us bank all 15 covers but only have 13 active

A million times this, and it would go a long way towards mitigating the hate they get every time they neuter a character and force a respec.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

Basicly what you are saying is using an unusable cover to just level a like tier character. Selling it for ISO is the same thing. The easier fix would be to just increase the value of 3* and 4* covers. Right now a unusable 4* is only worth 1000 ISO which if you are going to 4* is not much ISO at all. 3* should sell for 1500 ISO and 4* should sell for 5000. 2* and 1* should remain fairly low since they are so abundant.

I think this would be easier to implement and allow for more leveling.

I agree that it's very similar, and that at the current tier your proposed increased sale prices would accomplish the same things, and would be much easier to implement. That would be a huge benefit for the players, and I'd love to see that happen.

The unique aspect of the above proposal, which I thought might appeal to the developers, is that a cover would be worth more as a leveling boost than as a pure ISO sale. That might make lower tiers stay relevant for longer.

If you have a 3* cover that's worth 500 ISO sold, but worth the equivalent of 2500 ISO to take a 3* character from level 160 to level 161, that's an interesting choice to make for someone with a developed 4* roster. Someone who's building a 3* roster may have a similar choice to make with all of the 2* covers they get from pvp.

Right now, there's little incentive to put ISO into a tier that you've moved beyond. If you essentialy got a discount for turning old covers into levels, the lower end of people's rosters could be more robust, which gives people more tools in PvE (PvP will always be a best-team-available game). With the dramatic slowdown in the rate of 3* releases, this could keep all of those characters from being left behind.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think all players that have left, or are trying to, leave 2* land could use some more help with leveling their characters. This applies even more with players going from 3* to 4*, which has turned into a bit of a hard climb. DDQ has been a HUGE help, but again, having to wait for the rotation of characters to get the covers you want has become a bit monotonous. I'm sure all the veterans are also aware that particular cover colors are more rare than others (BP blackflag.png , Mystique blackflag.png , SW purpleflag.png to name a few). I think the idea of just gaining covers is a great one, especially since this wouldn't affect D3's cover income and you would still need 13 covers to maximize characters. I'm in agreement with the extra covers going towards leveling your character if you already have 13 covers. This could help transitioning players across the board and cut down on the frustration of repeat covers that you don't need. Sell prices for covers, especially 3* and 4*, is another great idea.
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    I have been saying this for a while! My idea was even more modest and would allow you to use additional covers to level that specific character one level. So extra 2* Thor covers could only be used to level 2* Thor, or say you have IM 40 Blue at 5 covers and pull another one. You could use that cover to level IM 40 one level instead.
  • Unknown
    Options

A great request, however that's functionality that already exists in the game, you sell your unwanted cover for ISO, use that ISO to level your characters. They already thought about that. The conversion rate sucks, but they most likely don't have an issue with that.

You're asking for a more efficient way to level a character, and I doubt that's going to happen especially after they just reduced the cost to level characters (they would have consider this in their adjustments but didn't).

If a player can spend less to level a character, they would lose profit (some people actually buy ISO), for those players that don't buy ISO, you need to grind it, which takes time, so to level a character to max, you might be spending weeks, or months, but at least you're still playing the game during that time, and that's what they want. DDQ/Daily rewards are created to make you play the game at least once a day, so I doubt they'll change this anytime soon.
  • Unknown
    Options
    My suggestion will be the ability to convert the cover color to another.
    Example i pull my 6th Iron Fist black cover and I badly need a purple which I only have 4, to have an option to use say 300-400 hp to change it to purple. This costs 1/3 or 1/4 of the hp you'll spend to buy the cover (1250) but you still need to spend hp.