How do you level your 3 and 4 stars?

Options
Just curious do you wait until you have "optimal" covers and then level up or do you level up as you get a new cover?

I was planning on separating my 3 stars into 3 buckets A, B, and C. A would be like Thor, B would be like Beast, and C would be like Ragnarok. Then I would level them as covers come along. At some point I think DDQ would help get me to the "optimal" covers. I would stagger the leveling so that the A teams would go to level 97, B teams would go to level 96, and C teams would go to level 95. From there I could level them in stair step fashion as I acquire new iso.

Your thoughts on this method?

Comments

• LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If they are the featured character in upcoming versus event, like Thor now and the Hood next, that's where my ISO goes.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    It depends on your available resources. For example, I have a 160 Lthor now, and I've got enough iso to max him out if I want to. However, that would leave me w/o iso to buy boosts for the jean grey pve event, and I'm certainly not going to buy iso from the store. icon_lol.gif

Okay, limited resources aside, as far as leveling characters is concerned it depends on whether you play pve or not. If you do, and you want to avoid insane scaling relative to your character level, keeping your roster underleveled would be preferable to over-leveling them. If you don't play pve, then your priority should be the core characters that can be utilized in a variety of events---goddess, rogers, deadpool, cage, cyclops, etc. And only if you have decently covered (8 to 10). Otherwise, just save up your iso.
  • Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I use iso.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If I receive new star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png, I tend to level them first to make them moderately usable (not saying it's a good idea, but that's kinda my OCD).

star.pngstar.pngstar.png on the otherhand, I tend to wait till I get all 13 covers (maybe even wait for respec) before I pool iso8.png on them.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I level newly received characters up to the 90s and leave them there until I need them for PvP. A mediocre character who I'll use for an event or two because they're featured or there are no better boosted options gets bumped up to 120 (the point where the ISO cost per level doubles). Characters I want to use whenever they're boosted go to 166. 4*s stop around there too (Hulkbuster is the only exception, and I stopped him at 175) because I have too many 3*s still to max to put that much into a single character.
  • Unknown
    Options
    You should get enough ISO that it doesn't matter where you put it, as long as you put it in a good place. Beast and Ragnarok are not good places.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Noobulator wrote:
    I use iso.
    That was my troll line icon_e_biggrin.gif
    To the OP if you have a lot of Max covered characters but not a lot of maxed leveled I would recommend grinding LR as well as PVE for ISO. Then once a week take a look at your most covered buffed characters and level up one or possibly two depending on your weekly ISO economy. Leveling your buffed characters is giving you a double bonus. It will allow you to level your characters and let you compete more in PVP and PVE.
    If you don't have a lot of covers of the buffed characters, or the buffed characters are a lot of 3rd tier characters then save your ISO for a week and wait for the next buffed characters.
    I think if you want to bring them along slowly leveling 3* to 120-140 is a good first burst and then when you get enough there go to 166. 120+ is when leveling gets expensive. For 4* aim for around 200. This is when 4* get expensive and when they get buffed they will be close to regular max and very playable. Even without the buff they will be very playable at 200-210.
  • SuperSkrull
    SuperSkrull Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My old method during the mid 2-3* transition was target two characters per season and for every 10,000 ISO earned I'd pump 2-3k into my two target toons.

Post weekly boosts and updated levelling costs, all USEFUL 3* with over 10 covers get levelled to 120. Weekly boosted characters that I have well or optimally covered get pushed higher from 120 to 127,133,141,153,166 (No reason why except For OCD Personality I suppose.

Re: 4* my view is that ISO is best saved for 3*, however levelling them to 94 is very cheap and they will have some use for PvE essentials. For scaling reasons I'm not planning on over levelling 4* until I've got 3-4 very well covered. By the time that happens I'll have most relavent 3* at 166.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Level as I go, But I stop at 104. I have two more to level to 104. At that point, I intend to level them evenly as I have the ISO. Nobody racing ahead.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    Since Ddq I have been Iso poor and cover rich. I stopped playing pve and PvP which made matters worse. Now I pick a hero that is fully covered and over the coarse of a week bring them up to lvl 120. I do this with my most useful or PvP hero. If I have extra iso, I might boost them for PvP if they feel useful. Otherwise on to the next. I already have some maxed 3*s so no need to hold back. At this point I will only max if they can combo with my maxed team.
  • SuperSkrull
    SuperSkrull Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Heartburn wrote:
    At this point I will only max if they can combo with my maxed team.

This is actually an excellent point. Ultimately you should level who you and you alone want to level, but tactical considerations over team synergy, rainbow coverage, good passives, defensive or offensive abilities, etc. can be a very smart move. For example with the current PvE you may have a well built and levelled Psylocke for the essentials but no one to compliment her. KK would be the obvious choice but you only have 4 covers but Squirrel Girl has 11. Although not a high tier character it would make sense to put ISO into SQ to increase your overall competitive play (and more often then not some of these mid tier 3* are actually quite fun to play).
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For now my process is similar to yours (the OP). I soft-cap my 3 stars between 95-99 while covering them. Once I have about 10-15 fully-covered (not necessarily spec'd out the way I want, just 13 covers) I will pour most of my accumulated iso into them to reach the 130s - 140s. From there, I will do the same with a second, third, ect. set of 3 stars as they get covered and eventually repeat the process when enough 3 stars accumulate in the 130 -140 range. As for my 4 stars, I get so few covers for them I just level them as they are covered but will keep them at or under the highest level of my 3 stars.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Not sure how I will eventually level my 3*s and 4*s, but at this point, I don't have any 3*s above 10 covers, or 4*s above 5 (Day 600+ player), so everything is capped at 94 until something (likely at least 3 of each) becomes truly playable beyond being a shiny meat shield.

DBC
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I basically gave a group of top characters maxed and a group of good characters at 140 and most of the rest at 120 (some still at 104 - mostly the bottom guys who may never get any more iso - sentry, rags, QS, etc.). some of that depends on how they're covered too. long-term plan is to have all top tier maxed and above average at 140 and the rest at 120.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Options
    .............With ISO............ icon_lol.gif
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Marty17 wrote:
    If I receive new star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png, I tend to level them first to make them moderately usable (not saying it's a good idea, but that's kinda my OCD).

star.pngstar.pngstar.png on the otherhand, I tend to wait till I get all 13 covers (maybe even wait for respec) before I pool iso8.png on them.

especially with 4stars covers are way more important than levels. you really should reconsider your ocd icon_e_wink.gif
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've leveled every 3 star to 120 and a dozen or so are maxed. When somebody is featured i sometimes pump a few more levels into them but i really just max who i think deserves the ISO. Most of my 4stars need more covers before i max them so i'm just collecting for now.