how do people get so many points in PvE?

I played all the nodes until they were worth less than 100 points each, and went to bed #5. When I woke up I was #112, with the top 10 having 5000 points more than me, and my nodes were still only worth about 150-200 each. I played for 3 hours non-stop and still couldn't break the top 50. By the end most of the nodes were worth less than 50.

How is it possible for that many people to be above me when I've basically exhausted the points available? I did notice that everyone in the top 10 had a full roster of level 270 characters, so do they get more points or something? And why are so many people with full 4-star rosters bothering with a PvE event? It seems impossible to get any good rewards as a relatively new player.

Comments

• OneenO
    OneenO Posts: 75 Match Maker
    DONT! grind all the nodes down. Let them refresh to full points. The most optimal way to play is to hit each node every 8hrs and then grind them down to 1 at the end of the sub.

My guess is the top 10 in your bracket havebeen letting the nodes refresh to get max points.
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    4* rosters are doing PvP for ISO, HP, and to get new characters.

While you played a lot, you did not play optimally. Optimal play is to clear every node once when it has full points (every 8 hours), then at the end, grind all the nodes down to 1 point starting from the least valuable nodes and ending with the most valuable ones, and finish right as the event ends. You left a bunch of points on the table by over-grinding the nodes early, allowing people to pass you. 4* rosters are hurt in PvE due to scaling, but even so, can usually finish fights faster by Repulser Punching/Surgical Striking for tons of damage.
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    actionJxn wrote:
    and went to bed

There's the problem! JK icon_e_smile.gif What OneenO said, sounds like you grinded down real early before the sub actually ended, also, do you have all the essential characters too as that can be a big source for points as well.
  • I didn't realize that the points scaled that way, I assumed the numbers averaged out to the same as a way to not punish people for playing more casually. Instead it seems like they punish people who play more... doesn't make sense but I guess if that's how it is I'll just try what you've suggested.

I feel like the way points work both in PvE and PvP is extremely flawed, and I don't understand it all.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is an alternate method, just in case you need sleep, or have a job or something.

using the 5pm slice, since this is what i normally play.

After dinner, usually around 6pm i do each sub twice, that's it for the night, i will do pvp or maybe interact with my wife or some other stupid thing.
    Morning, i do DDQ while having my cofee, then a full clear around 10am (all subs are back to full points).. since event ends 5pm, if it is slow at work, like today, i do clears about once every 2 hours or so.. then at 3 or 3:30ish, i grind them to nothing, or whatever i can manage.

Leave work at 4:45, get home and repeat..

Never been in top 5 at the end of an event, but gotten 2 x top 10, and many many T20, T50's this way.

It is not optimal, but works for my schedule.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Here is an alternate method, just in case you need sleep, or have a job or something.

After dinner, usually around 6pm i do each sub twice, that's it for the night, i will do pvp or maybe interact with my wife or some other stupid thing.
    Morning, i do DDQ while having my cofee, then a full clear around 10am (all subs are back to full points).. since event ends 5pm, if it is slow at work, like today, i do clears about once every 2 hours or so.. then at 3 or 3:30ish, i grind them to nothing, or whatever i can manage.

Never been in top 5 at the end of an event, but gotten 2 x top 10, and many many T20, T50's this way.

Just be advised op, even with this method, the 4 star rosters with plenty of alternate teams and plenty of time, and the ability to clear faster then most will be in full force because jean grey is new.

7 day grind sadly also means, falling behind once, sorry try again next new character.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Assuming you have the time, you'd increase your production by doing one clear at 6pm and one before you go to bed (or whatever time after 6pm that you have time). They'll still be at full refresh at 10am, but you'll score more.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't particularly follow the "optimal" way of doing it but when I decided to hit #1 for Thing, I spent my first clear hitting all the nodes when I entered. Then I focused on grinding the hardest nodes while the weaker ones were building back up. I kept cycling them until the last few hours and only did 1-2 clears for the hardest node to 1 and the rest down to 1. I obviously saved the easiests ones for later because they are the fastest to clear.

In your case, unless you started at the beginning of a fresh bracket, you could have been met by others who had already did their clears and had an extra clear near the end of the sub. This can create distance that is actually impossible to catch up to if they keep that pace every sub. A person who's 5k ahead of you at the end of the sub can remain 5k ahead of you in the next if you both grab all available points during a sub.
  • GurlBYE wrote:
    Just be advised op, even with this method, the 4 star rosters with plenty of alternate teams and plenty of time, and the ability to clear faster then most will be in full force because jean grey is new.

7 day grind sadly also means, falling behind once, sorry try again next new character.

Yeah, I can't even get past the 5th mission in this newest round of the hulk story, so I'm just giving up on this event. It sucks because I also can't play PvP (after the first round everyone I see has maxed out 2 and 3 stars) and I've already beat all the normal story missions.

This game is fun, but I've just hit this huge wall were it seems like I can not progress at all and there is nothing I can do about it except spend a ton of money (which I can't afford). So, I'm probably just done with it. I'm not the kind of person that can play a game for a year with little to no progression just to get a decent roster set up.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    actionJxn wrote:
    This game is fun, but I've just hit this huge wall were it seems like I can not progress at all and there is nothing I can do about it except spend a ton of money (which I can't afford). So, I'm probably just done with it. I'm not the kind of person that can play a game for a year with little to no progression just to get a decent roster set up.

ATTN DEVS:
    ^^^^ You see this?? Yes, us forumites are only a small % of the player base, but this right here is very likely where a lot of players are at, they just don't come on here and tell you about it. If the long time players are burnt out and having trouble keeping up, imagine how the new guys feel.

This seems like yet another opportunity to call out for some non-competitive content. If this Jean Grey release was set up in a way where the players only had to compete vs themselves and/or the AI, then a complaint like this would not exist. The vets could still go crazy chasing the new shiny. But so could the new guys, so they have something to do until they're ready to take their characters into the PvP arena. As it is, you've just lost a player here.
  • GurlBYE
    tanis3303 wrote:
    actionJxn wrote:

ATTN DEVS:
    ^^^^ You see this?? Yes, us forumites are only a small % of the player base, but this right here is very likely where a lot of players are at, they just don't come on here and tell you about it. If the long time players are burnt out and having trouble keeping up, imagine how the new guys feel.

This seems like yet another opportunity to call out for some non-competitive content. If this Jean Grey release was set up in a way where the players only had to compete vs themselves and/or the AI, then a complaint like this would not exist. The vets could still go crazy chasing the new shiny. But so could the new guys, so they have something to do until they're ready to take their characters into the PvP arena. As it is, you've just lost a player here.

The non competitive events are vital because for a long time in 2 star, 1 star and even early 3 star land there is literally nothing to do in the game.

There is a ton of down time and stuck between defeating the first node in an event with none of the essentials, so you can't even get a good chunk of the way into the progress stuff.
    The last part of the epilogue is still tossing 1 star cards at you, pvp is basically making yourself seed that has a name and pve is getting the 1 standard token.

I started the game with the idea that I'd eventually spend money, but a few weeks in even I already started to see that wasn't going to happen. Now I'm pretty firmly in camp, nope, and seeing whats in store, I'm leaning more towards stopping entirely.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    tanis3303 wrote:
    actionJxn wrote:

ATTN DEVS:

yep. i've already given up on getting Jean Grey via Hulk and am now just hoarding my tokens for when she hits the DDQ's or something. I totally get the point of rewarding players that play more, but the vast majority of us can't treat this like a job.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    actionJxn wrote:
    I played all the nodes until they were worth less than 100 points each, and went to bed #5. When I woke up I was #112, with the top 10 having 5000 points more than me, and my nodes were still only worth about 150-200 each. I played for 3 hours non-stop and still couldn't break the top 50. By the end most of the nodes were worth less than 50.

How is it possible for that many people to be above me when I've basically exhausted the points available? I did notice that everyone in the top 10 had a full roster of level 270 characters, so do they get more points or something? And why are so many people with full 4-star rosters bothering with a PvE event? It seems impossible to get any good rewards as a relatively new player.

The "optimal" way to score the most points is to:

(a) start playing as soon as the event opens;
    (b) open the required character nodes as quickly as possible;
    (c) do the required character nodes once each; and then
    (d) do every node once.

Eight hours later, the first node will be back to full points. Do a full clear again, following the above.
    Eight hours later, the first node will be back to full points. Do a full clear again, following the above.
    Keep doing this every eight hours until the event is down to its last ~two hours.
    Hit every node again one more time, maybe saving yourself some of the higher point nodes to regenerate a bit more.
    Now grind everything down to 1. Then if you are feeling gluttonous, keep playing those nodes for 1 point until the event is about to end. Don't be in a battle when the event ends, so give yourself 1 minute or so to spare.

When the event ends, the next sub-event of that main event will start immediately after, so get ready to do it again for seven days.

That's the "optimal" way to play.

I take the last slice, which opens at midnight where I live. I do exactly as it states above, but I double-tap the first run through of the nodes (clear them twice), which means that I can wait about 16 hours for the maximum points to regenerate, which allows me to sleep and work, do a clear when I get home, then grind from ~10:00 PM until midnight, then do a double-tap from midnight until 1:00 am.

If I pre-register for the last slice and do this, I can get top 10 every time, so long as I keep it up (because let's face it, you pretty much have admitted you don't have a life outside MPQ if you can do the "optimal" method every day for seven days).
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Buret0 wrote:
    actionJxn wrote:

The "optimal" way to score the most points is to:

(a) start playing as soon as the event opens;
    (b) open the required character nodes as quickly as possible;
    (c) do the required character nodes once each; and then
    (d) do every node once.

Keep doing this every eight hours until the event is down to its last ~two hours.
    Hit every node again one more time, maybe saving yourself some of the higher point nodes to regenerate a bit more.
    Now grind everything down to 1. Then if you are feeling gluttonous, keep playing those nodes for 1 point until the event is about to end. Don't be in a battle when the event ends, so give yourself 1 minute or so to spare.

When the event ends, the next sub-event of that main event will start immediately after, so get ready to do it again for seven days.

That's the "optimal" way to play.

I take the last slice, which opens at midnight where I live. I do exactly as it states above, but I double-tap the first run through of the nodes (clear them twice), which means that I can wait about 16 hours for the maximum points to regenerate, which allows me to sleep and work, do a clear when I get home, then grind from ~10:00 PM until midnight, then do a double-tap from midnight until 1:00 am.

If I pre-register for the last slice and do this, I can get top 10 every time, so long as I keep it up (because let's face it, you pretty much have admitted you don't have a life outside MPQ if you can do the "optimal" method every day for seven days).
    basically, what i'm reading there is:

the "optimal" way to play isn't worth it.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    chamber44 wrote:

that is exactly where a lot of the forum players are right now, its not worth it for a 7-day. I recently did a 2.5 day grind for a t10 for a marginal character I have little interest in. I have much more interest in jean, but 7 days? no thanks. i'll hit 1K when she enters the pvp rotation if I don't get lucky Monday or Tuesday.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    chamber44 wrote:

Optimal is really about top 2, in horrid brackets top 10 or even 20. If you don't care about placing that high, you don't have to be optimal.
  • GurlBYE
    TxMoose wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:

that is exactly where a lot of the forum players are right now, its not worth it for a 7-day. I recently did a 2.5 day grind for a t10 for a marginal character I have little interest in. I have much more interest in jean, but 7 days? no thanks. i'll hit 1K when she enters the pvp rotation if I don't get lucky Monday or Tuesday.
    The reward doesn't equate the work. if 1st place were 13 covers of your choice and 600,000k iso and 100 HP, there'd be a bit less complaints.

But its for 3 covers.