PvE scaling: what to do?

Options
I'm tired keeping stuck al level 94 my 3* heroes... Obviously none of them has full covers, but most of them can be leveled up to 114.
So, question is: now I'm stuck al lev 94, what will change in the scaling if I raise to lev 104(or 114) a bunch of 3* charachters?
Will the PvE become too hard?
I think I don't really get the meaning of the effectiveness of scaling!
(Well, in fact I'm italian... So, apologizes for eventual errors)

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    Scaling is set at a percentage of your roster level, buffed. I don't think going from 94 to 114 will increase scaling significantly, maybe like a dozen levels? To me, the better question is how fully covered are your 3 star.png characters? If you don't have at least ten covers on 3 or more of them, I wouldn't bother leveling them just yet. The reason is that you want to have a core of characters around the same level to use. If you bring just one guy up but the rest stays the same, your roster's effectiveness will increase only marginally compared to scaling increase. At ten covers you would have either 055 (with the 0 switched around), 145, 244, 235, 334 spec; basically there would be a minimum of level three for a useful power that would make the character useful to level up.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well, i dunno how to post my roster, but I'll try to tell you:
    I got all the high tier 2* at lev 94 (with right covers).
    My 3* capped at 94 are:
    Doom 5/4/2
    Deadpool 2/4/4
    Torch 2/3/5
    Loki 3/1/5
    Hulk 5/3/1
    CapMarvel 4/3/2
    Magneto 3/3/3
    Cage 3/4/1
    And Thor 3/2/2 (i'm tryin to reach top 25 in pvp to get green and yellow).
    What do u think I should do?
    Thanks for your patience!!!.
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I keep seeing these posts about PVE scaling, not leveling characters past a certain level, etc.. This is my two cents on this matter. If you're going to do BOTH PVE and PVP events, level your characters to max. Isn't that the whole point of the game? You want as many characters as high as possible so you can compete in PVE when certain characters are essentials and you want to finish as high as possible in PVP. Especially with 4* covers at 1k and 1300 in PVP, you're going to need a strong roster to surpass that PVP wall. I'm in The Hulk PVP right now, and despite having 1 cover for Hulkbuster, he's over 10k health. I'm not going to lose on a node. I have Psyclocke with 12 covers and over 10k health. Not going to lose a node. I have Hawkeye maxed, which only gives 6863 health of so, but have the roster to carry him through the essential fights. Not going to lose a node. To me, it just makes sense to level your roster, no matter what. PVE will be hit or miss depending on the essentials for your top 100, and you're going to need a solid roster to hit 1k and 1300 for PVP. The only way to get there is to max your characters.
  • Unknown
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    I keep seeing these posts about PVE scaling, not leveling characters past a certain level, etc.. This is my two cents on this matter. If you're going to do BOTH PVE and PVP events, level your characters to max. Isn't that the whole point of the game? You want as many characters as high as possible so you can compete in PVE when certain characters are essentials and you want to finish as high as possible in PVP. Especially with 4* covers at 1k and 1300 in PVP, you're going to need a strong roster to surpass that PVP wall. I'm in The Hulk PVP right now, and despite having 1 cover for Hulkbuster, he's over 10k health. I'm not going to lose on a node. I have Psyclocke with 12 covers and over 10k health. Not going to lose a node. I have Hawkeye maxed, which only gives 6863 health of so, but have the roster to carry him through the essential fights. Not going to lose a node. To me, it just makes sense to level your roster, no matter what. PVE will be hit or miss depending on the essentials for your top 100, and you're going to need a solid roster to hit 1k and 1300 for PVP. Level your characters!

I think you got the point.
    I see the whole thing same as you, but everyone seem to "fear" the scaling...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Other question: the scaling affects also the Daily Deadpool ?
    Right now I can manage well the Big Enchilada (apart from those damn ninjas) with my 2* Thor-OBW-Storm.
    But I'm afraid of a scaling !!!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Barone wrote:
    Right now I can manage well the Big Enchilada (apart from those damn ninjas) with my 2* Thor-OBW-Storm.
    Deadpool Daily Quest does not scale.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Options
    Barone wrote:
    rawfsu wrote:
    I keep seeing these posts about PVE scaling, not leveling characters past a certain level, etc.. This is my two cents on this matter. If you're going to do BOTH PVE and PVP events, level your characters to max. Isn't that the whole point of the game? You want as many characters as high as possible so you can compete in PVE when certain characters are essentials and you want to finish as high as possible in PVP. Especially with 4* covers at 1k and 1300 in PVP, you're going to need a strong roster to surpass that PVP wall. I'm in The Hulk PVP right now, and despite having 1 cover for Hulkbuster, he's over 10k health. I'm not going to lose on a node. I have Psyclocke with 12 covers and over 10k health. Not going to lose a node. I have Hawkeye maxed, which only gives 6863 health of so, but have the roster to carry him through the essential fights. Not going to lose a node. To me, it just makes sense to level your roster, no matter what. PVE will be hit or miss depending on the essentials for your top 100, and you're going to need a solid roster to hit 1k and 1300 for PVP. Level your characters!

It does become an issue, but for me it wasn't much of one until I maxed several 4*s. I was often in the top 5 in PvE events when I had several maxed 3*s (note this was well before boosted characters were so common) but once I had a few maxed 4*s the scaling took it's toll. It's not that I can't win the harder battles, it's just that no matter what you do you're going to burn through health packs fast against level 275-300+ Jugs, Ares, Moonstone, etc. This means to do a proper grind before the end of a sub I would have to start spending HP on shields, and I refuse to do that.

So back to the original post. While I wouldn't worry about leveling you characters from level 94 to level 114, I also wouldn't bother to do it yet if they are not fully covered. You get far more value out of covers than you do out of increasing the level by that amount. If you are a dedicated PvE player then wait until you have some good 3*s fully covered then start to raise their level all at the same time to the same value.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Barone wrote:
    Deadpool Daily Quest does not scale.

That's soooo interesting!!!! Thank you mate
  • Unknown
    Options
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    Barone wrote:
    rawfsu wrote:

It does become an issue, but for me it wasn't much of one until I maxed several 4*s. I was often in the top 5 in PvE events when I had several maxed 3*s (note this was well before boosted characters were so common) but once I had a few maxed 4*s the scaling took it's toll. It's not that I can't win the harder battles, it's just that no matter what you do you're going to burn through health packs fast against level 275-300+ Jugs, Ares, Moonstone, etc. This means to do a proper grind before the end of a sub I would have to start spending HP on shields, and I refuse to do that.

So back to the original post. While I wouldn't worry about leveling you characters from level 94 to level 114, I also wouldn't bother to do it yet if they are not fully covered. You get far more value out of covers than you do out of increasing the level by that amount. If you are a dedicated PvE player then wait until you have some good 3*s fully covered then start to raise their level all at the same time to the same value.

Seems clear. Thanks for your advice!
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Remember to that in PVE, the essentials are going to be easy, which are the ones you'll need to maximize points and your ranking. Again, essentials are hit and miss, but like I mentioned, when there are events where you have all three, you're pretty much set for top 100 with a little effort running down the essential nodes and doing the regular ones until they become a pain. I did this in The Thing event and still walked away in top 100. I should be able to do the same in The Hulk, though the seven days and burnout may win in the end.
  • Unknown
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    Remember to that in PVE, the essentials are going to be easy, which are the ones you'll need to maximize points and your ranking. Again, essentials are hit and miss, but like I mentioned, when there are events where you have all three, you're pretty much set for top 100 with a little effort running down the essential nodes and doing the regular ones until they become a pain. I did this in The Thing event and still walked away in top 100. I should be able to do the same in The Hulk, though the seven days and burnout may win in the end.

Speaking of PvE and nodes, I just don't get the right strategy...
    Is it right to do all the nodes at the beginning of the subevent only One time and them wait 8h to do it again until the end of the 24h?
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    I keep seeing these posts about PVE scaling, not leveling characters past a certain level, etc.. This is my two cents on this matter. If you're going to do BOTH PVE and PVP events, level your characters to max. Isn't that the whole point of the game? You want as many characters as high as possible so you can compete in PVE when certain characters are essentials and you want to finish as high as possible in PVP. Especially with 4* covers at 1k and 1300 in PVP, you're going to need a strong roster to surpass that PVP wall. I'm in The Hulk PVP right now, and despite having 1 cover for Hulkbuster, he's over 10k health. I'm not going to lose on a node. I have Psyclocke with 12 covers and over 10k health. Not going to lose a node. I have Hawkeye maxed, which only gives 6863 health of so, but have the roster to carry him through the essential fights. Not going to lose a node. To me, it just makes sense to level your roster, no matter what. PVE will be hit or miss depending on the essentials for your top 100, and you're going to need a solid roster to hit 1k and 1300 for PVP. The only way to get there is to max your characters.

Agreed.

I levelled any key characters to max as soon as i got the covers for them and it never really impacted much on my scaling. I think my order of maxing three stars were lazy thor, daken, lazy cap, blade and recently kamala and Iron fist. I have yet to see an all level 395 node, in fact, I rarely see 300+ nodes and this was with community scaling on. Also after my first 2 maxed 3 stars, i was still predominantly using my boosted 2 stars in PVE and they were more than adequate to deal with most of the nodes. I think most of the scaling horror stories come from the time when x force and goddess thor were so dominant and people had them maxed and used very few other characters outside of those two leading to dramatically increased scaling for those players.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Barone wrote:
    Is it right to do all the nodes at the beginning of the subevent only One time and them wait 8h to do it again until the end of the 24h?

one clear every 8 hours then clear to 1 point (6 clears) at the end of the sub event
  • Unknown
    Options
    spectator wrote:
    Barone wrote:

one clear every 8 hours then clear to 1 point (6 clears) at the end of the sub event

Well' THAT'S an advice. Thank u man
  • Unknown
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:

Only, they're not.

My almost fully-covered SW & SRCA, boosted Juggs, IW, and 2*HT say "Hi" from the last PvE... well, they would say hi if they hadn't died 50 times apiece during their "easy" essential nodes over the course of 4 days.

Some of you guys must have REALLY easy scaling, considering how often I read this myth in the forum... icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

DBC
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rawfsu wrote:
    Remember to that in PVE, the essentials are going to be easy
    Yeah, like the SW essential with Hood and two yellow feeder goons. Hello, 4th turn twin pistols. Piece of cake!
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think since they changed the boost level of the 2* essential & weekly buffed heroes from 134 to 150, that keeping a decently-covered 3* at level 94 is a waste. Go to 114. Go to 127, even. That way those unboosted 3* can still do some serious legwork for you in PvE, and not have to sit in the back while your much smaller roster of 2* boosted heroes carry the load. I've been getting significant use out of my Doctor Doom lately (1/3/5) just because he compliments the boosted characters colours pretty well for me (i.e. nobody else who covers blue well? No worry. Doom eats the blue and changes 'em to black. Helps deny enemy Daken his blue).

And when those freshly-leveled 3* get their turn in the boosted sun, you benefit (hello, level 180 Luke Cage!). You fare better in PVP as well.

I'm enjoying the game much more with my collection of 100+ heroes these days, and I still have nobody fully covered (11 cover Blade, Patch, Magneto are best). I haven't gone past 127 yet though. I do figure I'll wait until I get a number of guys at 12 covers or more before venturing to 140.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Am I the only one who think of that scene in Reservoir Dogs with Michael Madsen?

"Either the cops got 'em, or they didn't..."

No one knows, we've talked about it forever, everyone has the "right" answer, only no one agrees with anyone else's "right" answer,and for some reason D3 chooses to not let us know what would seem on it's face to be fairly basic, harmless, and EXTREMELY valuable information to the player base.

So yeah, Reservoir Dogs, Michael Madsen.

DBC
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Now that community scaling is gone, we shouldn't see level 395 ares/moonstone/jugg/venom unless you have 4*'s that are maxed. I have all my characters maxed covered and leveled at 132. I am slowly going up as iso is collected to level at least 5 levels for everyone. My scaling is nothing to worry about, but I do have almost all the 3* max covered. With DPQ, you should be able to get most of your 3* max covered within 3-4 months if not earlier. I would keep them at level 94 for now and let your 2* be worthwhile and continue placing high in PVE. The increased drop rates should also help, so get as many tokens as you can. Now with the better drop rate, I am usually pulling 2-5 golds per 10 event tokens (I am having to sell most of them as I only need the covers for like 5 characters in 3* world now). Heroics are a little less. Currently with my level 132, my 2* rarely get play as they are underleveled against even the easy nodes on PVE unless they are boosted. I could beat those nodes, but it takes time which I don't have. Be patient, hoard your iso, and in a couple of months, you will have a good stable of max covered 3* that you can level in a big way. Now, if you like playing PVP, then this kind of goes out the window as you need higher level characters to compete. Just know that most people look at your roster and if they see high level characters with not max covered 3*, they will hit you because like someone said, "Covers are worth more than level". Hope that helps.