Drax The Destroyer! HOORAH!!!

Options
GundamY
GundamY Posts: 182
edited July 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
For the love of Thanos, where is Drax? We got Starlord, Gamora, Rocket & Groot, but still no Drax?!? It's not Guardians of the Galaxy if even one member absent!

So for the MPQ developers out there, if you are reading this, please give some considerations on my suggestion for Drax. I'm not a veteran player yet, but at the very least I can do for this community is exert my imagination and creativity for Drax. Because let's face it, he needs some lovin' from the fans too, right?

Once again, I won't be spamming you guys with star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters because Jean Grey is coming soon, and I feel like star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters are the new star.pngstar.png roster at the point. So bear with me, folks, and let's see what Drax has to offer for the team!

Drax (Arthur Douglas) star.pngstar.pngstar.png

600full-drax-the-destroyer%3A-earth-fall-cover.jpg

greenflag.pngBattle Aura (Passive): Drax holds the title as "The Destroyer" for a reason. Enemy forces crumble under Drax's brutal strength. Whenever you make a match with Drax's icon, a shield tile is destroyed.

Max Level: Locked tiles are also destroyed. Deal bonus damage for every enemy owned tile that is matched and/or destroyed by Drax.

blueflag.pngDwi Theet: Drax mastered this form of alien martial arts to take down opponents stronger than him. The targeted opponent will trip up and become clumsy with their defenses as Drax exploits a moment of weakness. Select an enemy Countdown Tile and delay it by 2 turns.

Max Level: Select a friendly Countdown Tile and choose if you wish to increase or decrease it by 1 turn.

redflag.pngRelentless Assault (Passive): Revenge against Thanos is what motivates Drax into becoming the vengeance-driven alien as we know him. Every time the enemy damages Drax during their turn, Drax retaliates by damaging the enemy team with half of the damage he received

Max Level: The lower Drax's health gets, the stronger his attack strength gets.

This one is quite challenging for me because I don't want Drax to be just a clone of powerhouses like Hulk, Juggernaut, Ares, Thor, and many more. I've been thinking of ways to differentiating him from the rest of the GotG crew as well. So please give out your imput on what we can do to give Drax the chance to be in the spotlight!

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok, here we go..

First off, nice cover choice!

redflag.png - i like this, the mechanic is already in game with 2* storm and ares, so having one at 4* level would be awesome, the lower his health is, the more damage he does.. this could be a vision/ant-man type mechanic.. if drax is under 50% health his other abilities do X instead of Y, and his match damage is increased. For cover scaling and build diversity, the % of health would have to start low (like 20%) and scale up, so it activates at 50-60% at max covers.

greenflag.png Slightly confused by your description.. but how is this for a counter passive.. same idea.. but more doc oc type.. Whenever you make a match that includes an enemy tile, places a strike tile. Covers scale to include tile strength and eventually adds a shield and attack tile (3 and 4 covers) 5th cover adds a true heal equal to the match damage, Strength of tiles created doubles when redflag.png activates, which is why i added the heal, to take him out of the RED ZONE. Once again, build diversity matters. He is obviously going to be a tanky support type char with 2 passives, so make them count!

blueflag.png this has to be his big damage. It is a martial arts move, so a leg sweep with follow up, to deal damage and stun, damage and duration of stun scales with covers, if redflag.png is active, true heal for X and does Y extra damage.

For the first time ever, a characters downside will be the healing. The heals bring him out of the RED ZONE so his passive is no longer active. Neat huh?

What do you think?
  • Unknown
    Options
    i think that if you add somthing like a condition to put him at the front more he'll be more disireable, as it stands right now defence tiles are somthing of a joke at times, so his green is to me lacking, what i would do is add"drax's agrro is though the roof making him the biggest threat to his enemeys as long as you have eight or more greentile.png drax stands in front boldy confronting his foes" just tack that to his green pair him up with someone like spiderman and dare devil or somthing and i think it would be a fun team to play with
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think he should have a true revenge mechanic. So if a teammate dies, he gets free attack.png tiles and, if fully covered, should get a health bump when he takes an enemy out.

Additionally, he should be a complement to Starlord, RnG, Nova, Gamora, and even possibly Kitty Pride. And that is a bit of spitballing, due to the fact we don't have confirmation of Kitty and Nova (yet).

purpleflag.pngyellowflag.pngredflag.png for Starlord
    greenflag.pngredflag.pngblackflag.png for Gamora
    yellowflag.pnggreenflag.pngblueflag.png for RnG

How does Drax compliment them?

blackflag.png (revenge) could also be bloodletting; attack that makes attack tiles or a buffed up Ares' yellow.
    redflag.png (No Quarter). This would be a Daken-Falcon like free strike tile generator, that makes a free strike.png and destroys an enemy protect.png for free, on yellow matches. You could also call it a , "I like this knife. I am keeping it".
    purpleflag.png oddball attack.

redflag.pngyellowflag.pngblueflag.png (presumed) for Nova
    purpleflag.pngblueflag.pnggreenflag.png for Kitty.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    !!!AMAZING work!!!

(and props for referencing his original human name as well, although I'm worried the Marvel Cinematic U -- and, as a result, Marvel Comics -- may decide to ignore that aspect of his origin in the future.)

I really like everything you've done with his powers. He reminds me of a reverse ProfX -- high health and tile-destroying abilities. I personally would probably add some damage element to his blue as well, being his only active (but otherwise, It'd be great for teambuilding reasons having another one-active blue character who isn't Daken)

There's a new Drax solo ongoing series starting this fall -- I wouldn't be surprised if he's finally introduced ingame around that time!
  • GundamY
    Options
    Thank you guys for giving out so much creative input on Drax! So based on everybody's suggestions made from above:

Malcroft:
      likes the red ability, but make sure scaling max cover of it is fair (max level 60% of health or below activates passive)
      make green passive like Doc Ock’s passive (match enemy tile to create own attack, strike, or shield tile and heal at max level)
      strength of tiles double when red’s passive activates (his heal will prevent spamming red’s passive)
      blue ability needs to do damage instead of countdown delays

nybk2000:
      have at least 8 green AP so Drax will always be in front facing against enemies

ronin-san:
      have a black, red, and purple colour scheme instead and focus on revenge kills
      black ability could be bleeding, or Ares’ yellow, or an attack that generates attack tiles
      red ability destroys enemy shield tiles and generate own strike tiles
      purple ability is oddball attack(?)

Marc Spector:
      also add damage to blue ability as well
      good job on making the original comic’s source instead of Marvel Cinematic Universe

And so, based on combining all of your suggestions, I made a revision of Drax and see if this will work:

Drax (Arthur Douglas) star.pngstar.pngstar.png

600full-drax-the-destroyer%3A-earth-fall-cover.jpg

blackflag.pngBattle Aura (Passive): Drax holds the title as "The Destroyer" for a reason. Enemy forces crumble under Drax's brutal strength. For every match you make with the enemy's tile, destroy the enemy's shield tile and generate a Strike tile with the strength of 100.

Max Level: Drax heals back his health every time he makes a match with the enemy owned tile. Additionally, when Drax downs an opponent, he regains his health back based on the damage he personally delivered.

purpleflag.pngDwi Theet: Drax mastered this form of alien martial arts to take down opponents stronger than him. The targeted opponent will get tripped and knocked out by Drax's leg sweep and follow up combo. Drax deals 700 damage and stuns the opponent for 1 turn.

Max Level: Drax deals 3000 damage and stuns the opponent for 3 turns.

redflag.pngRelentless Assault (Passive): Revenge against Thanos is what motivates Drax into becoming the vengeance-driven alien as we know him. When Drax has at least 8 Green AP in stock, he will always stand in front of his team to tackle against incoming attacks.

If Drax's health goes below 20%, his following abilities have modifications and additions:
      For Battle Aura, all of Drax-generated tiles will have double their strength, whether it is newly made or currently exists on the board
      Dwi Theet causes targeted enemy to bleed.
        When a teammate goes down, Drax creates a free Strike tile with 150 strength.

Max Level: If Drax's health goes below 60%, the abilities are changed and added accordingly as seen from above.

Phew! This is really exhausting to make everybody's suggestions count! Depending on the reception of this newly made Drax, there may or may not be changes required once again.
    • Malcrof
      Options
      It won't let me upvote anyone for some reason.. so /uvotes for all!

Ronin, the BE contract killer type mechanic is perfect for him. Instead of him downing an opponent, it is based on allies downed (there is a goon like that somewhere i think, damage based on allies left in fight, only his gets higher), this would make him priority 1 in kill order, even with hood and loki at his side, you would have to consider the ramifications of waiting to down him...

In the new version, the attack.png tile is tied to his blackflag.png , so add it as an ALSO creates a attack.png when an enemy tile is matched and below x% health

we are getting close!
    • ronin_san
      Options
      Drax had a huge superiority complex, at least portrayed in the movies. I would think he has a lot of hit points, or some passive per-fight heal mechanic. That allows him to survive while still getting out in front and taking it on the chin.

The Dwi Theet ability is excellent. And stuns are something the guardians could use more of.

I seriously think he needs rampant strike.png tile generation - like, quick as Blade or Daken. Maybe every time he has 8 greentile.png and takes damage, he gets free strike.png tiles <- plural.

I spec'd out this rhino mechanic for aleksei, that was Hulk's anger, albeit generating strike tiles. What if Drax got Beast's blueflag.png whenever he takes over 10% damage and has 8 greentile.png in stock. Now that is something which earns his namesake. You hit him? He's going to hit back. Hard.

Whereas someone like Radioactive Man would get free greentile.png generation when he takes similar damage.
    • Malcrof
      Options
      ronin-san wrote:

What if Drax got Beast's blueflag.png whenever he takes over 10% damage and has 8 greentile.png in stock. Now that is something which earns his namesake. You hit him? He's going to hit back. Hard.

So like anger mixed with PX yellow.. i LOVE that idea!
    • ronin_san
      Options
      Dwi Theet / I am keeping it. how about a Cage Mechanic, in that it deals less damage but places a timer tile in play. Once hat is in play, Dwi Theet steels an enemy tile on top of doing damage?

Then how about a requisite passive, Vengeful Resolve.
      similar to Falcon. If damaged for more than %% If he has 8 greentile.png , he generates a free icon_beast.png :blueflag?
      Alternately, he could generate it on a five of a kind...

Last one.

"Nothing goes over my head". Passive.
      Any time an enemy uses an ability, Drax deals match damage and strengthens one friendly ability tile?

There are so many ideas for Drax. Now, if we could just combine them all....

If he is a star.pngstar.pngstar.png , then he gets 10200 HP
      If he is a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png , the. He gets 15K
    • Malcrof
      Options
      ronin-san wrote:

Any time an enemy uses an ability, Drax deals match damage and strengthens one friendly ability tile?

i have been wracking my brain trying to come up with an ability for that line.. best i could think of was an intercept ability like dp black or thing yellow.. this would be the first ability that has enemies strengthening friendly tiles
    • GundamY
      Options
      Malcrof wrote:
      ronin-san wrote:

i have been wracking my brain trying to come up with an ability for that line.. best i could think of was an intercept ability like dp black or thing yellow.. this would be the first ability that has enemies strengthening friendly tiles

Take it easy on Drax, you guys! I know how passionate y'all are about him, but let's focus on somebody else that definitely could use the lovin' in the spotlight. I have a special friend that I want to introduce to everybody ;D

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31646