So...would this help with the ISO shortage?

Options
tanis3303
tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey all, Tanis here again with another one of his crazzzzy ideas...

I was just bumping my ant man to lvl 100 to satisfy my roster OCD, and while holding the button down to give him XP, a thought occurred: These characters level up with experience points. I know, "duh!" right? But hear me out...if they level up with experience points, what if...they got experience points for battles??

You take in Rags, Bagman and Quicksilver to a fight. You win (somehow) and they GAIN A LEVEL. Make it work like any other RPG, where the experience gained is based on the difficulty of the battle won. Of course, this would have to be a slow process, you can't have people gaining whole levels on their characters all willy nilly, but if I could add some levels to characters that I haven't really shown any love to without dumping ISO into I might actually play them. Use them in Lightning Rounds, easy Story battles etc, or even take a risk and throw them at lvl 300+ Dark Avengers to see if you can do it. Then, when they get close to max level, you can finish them off with ISO, or just make it a fun goal - Max your Ragnarok without spending a single ISO on him!

Thoughts?

Comments

• hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd abuse this system so bad by just carrying 1 low-level with 2 max 4* to get the low-level up however far I desired.

ETA: Hey, your banner is bigger than mine!! icon_redface.gif
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At face value, it sounds like a good idea.
    But I'm pretty sure this would really mess up teams that depend on the strongest color abilities. Use the same team over and over and before long they'll all be the same level.
  • Boommike
    Boommike Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Would you also lose experience points when you lost a battle? Or would it be a one way street?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd abuse this system so bad by just carrying 1 low-level with 2 max 4* to get the low-level up however far I desired.

Ugh, yea I hadn't considered that...they need to do something tho, or we'll never level up all these 400,000 ISO star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boommike wrote:
    Would you also lose experience points when you lost a battle? Or would it be a one way street?
    0 for losing, + for winning.

Or someone who spent iso would end up losing it because they lost a match.

It's a great idea, but the iso veins in this game run pretty deep.

I'd prefer to see this implemented in some way rather then shifting iso costs and rewards around entirely.

Whether you grind out lightning rounds or any other content in game its the same thing.

theoretically you could continually grind the easiest node in game for 20 iso infinitely so abuse isn't a problem. it gives more incentive to use more roster.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just make LR week long and take the 20 ISO to 50 ISO and people would have the opportunity to earn more ISO to level characters. As cool as it would be to earn levels for characters think about the code that would be involved with n order to do this. To have a system of earning even 20 ISO per character per battle to go straight into said character would be an enormous amount of work. Remember K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SWEET AND SIMPLE. The debs showed on short notice they can extend LR for anniversary week and changing the min ISO would be simple enough as well, and then players can choose to leave there characters are on the desired level. What if I don't want to level my 4* above 2##? Should I be forced into scaling nightmares because I use the 4* I like?

I am all for more ISO, but I think there are easier ways than OP's idea. A for effort and creativity, but I do not believe it would be feasible.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The ISO-8 leveling system is already this. But instead of individual experience you get group experience to be divided as you see fit (think of ISO-8 as experience rewards). Most fights result in ISO-8 of some kind, either through direct reward or placement rewards or just plain repetition rewards of 20 ISO, so you are gaining XP to assign to your heroes every battle basically.

Now, fixing the gulf that exists between ISO you can earn and ISO you can spend that's a different problem.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:

Ugh, yea I hadn't considered that...they need to do something tho, or we'll never level up all these 400,000 ISO star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s

5 seconds in and we have a Pleveler.. sheesh, i miss Everquest.

But yah, the iso reward for winning is split evenly among the 3 toons, in addition to the iso reward. In most MMO's you get exp and some coinage.. there ya go!
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I cam imagine the anguish of soft capped pve players....
    Would need a mechanism where the xp goes up, and you need to hit a button to go up the level.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    The ISO-8 leveling system is already this. But instead of individual experience you get group experience to be divided as you see fit (think of ISO-8 as experience rewards). Most fights result in ISO-8 of some kind, either through direct reward or placement rewards or just plain repetition rewards of 20 ISO, so you are gaining XP to assign to your heroes every battle basically.

Now, fixing the gulf that exists between ISO you can earn and ISO you can spend that's a different problem.
    I was going to mention this... ISO apparently = experience points when it converts directly to experience for leveling up a character... so you essentially get 20 exp to distribute freely for pretty much every fight in PVE. I wouldn't have much objection to this type of a process (especially if they increase it) but what then doesn't make sense is that you have to spend that same ISO to skip a fight in PVP... essentially spending experience points to skip fights... it just seems wrong. Then again... so does the other option of spending HP to skip fights...

I don't really like the concept of iso being both a form of experience points and currency. Make the skips free.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I don't really like the concept of iso being both a form of experience points and currency. Make the skips free.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the skip tax recently, and I feel that the recent changes have made it obsolete.
    The Shield Cooldowns, the MMR tweak, and the doubling of the match values means that's much easier to find a match worth fighting. If you have to start paying Iso to try to find a team to beat, it should not be costing you to earn points. The problem is made worse when the match values are outdated and you have to skip all the nodes when you come back to the game after a while.

Don't touch the Victory bonus though!