PvE 4* Progression Rewards?

Options
Enoc99
Enoc99 Posts: 141
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, in PvE, we have a required 2*, 3* and 4*. A cover for both the 2* and 3* are rewarded in the progression rewards, generally with the 3* being the top reward. The only way to get a 4* cover in PvE (outside of release PvEs) is to place 1st place.

Meanwhile, in PvP, at both 1000 and 1300, a 4* cover is rewarded. There is also a 4* cover here for 1st place, but that is much less accessible to the masses than the 1000 point cover.

I would like to propose having a 4* cover progression reward in PvE, maybe at 1.5 times the points needed to get the 3*. This does unfortunately mean that not everyone may reach the 4* progression reward, but several people and alliances have stopped playing PvE for the most part because of how few of the rewards they need, since the main source is only through PvP.

I can tell you from my perspective, I would play in a lot more of the PvE events regardless of the reward if there was a 4* cover waiting for me in the progression rewards.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With the rate 4*s are being released, and D3 giving us even more ways to earn them, i think this may be coming in the very near future. It was in the Q&A and has been suggested many times over..

They do eventually listen, sometimes takes a bit, but i believe it is coming, we got our first taste of it last Gauntlet, and that won't be the last of it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just posted on another thread this point. I think they should extende PVE and season rewards to add a 4* progression. 10K for season and double points in PVE for 4* with some goodies in between.

Make it a challenge but achievable like PVP.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    I just posted on another thread this point. I think they should extende PVE and season rewards to add a 4* progression. 10K for season and double points in PVE for 4* with some goodies in between.

that would take care of a lot of the 'joining late' crowd, of which I am a part icon_e_wink.gif it would get me in the events at the beginning, although I might pick and choose the events.
  • Unknown
    Options
    PvE progression rewards are a joke. Every single person who even remotely tries during an event can hit the top progression reward. Why is that the case?

They need to make it the same as PvP where hard work is actually rewarded and hitting 2-3x current progression rewards yields real results.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    They need to make it the same as PvP where hard work is actually rewarded and hitting 2-3x current progression rewards yields real results.

Have never seen anyone hit 2-3x in PVP.. 2600-3900 points in a PVP is scary to even imagine..
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

Have never seen anyone hit 2-3x in PVP.. 2600-3900 points in a PVP is scary to even imagine..

Was two separate points

2x max progression in PvE is similar to 1k in PvP
    3x max progression is PvE is similar to 1.3k in PvP

In reference to actual number of people who can hit these thresholds.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

Was two separate points

2x max progression in PvE is similar to 1k in PvP
    3x max progression is PvE is similar to 1.3k in PvP

In reference to actual number of people who can hit these thresholds.

Was not actually being serious, but.. IF they decided to make progression in PVP's all the way up to 2k+, it would be so much easier to hit 1k for those of us who struggle. I see people hit 1300 quite a bit, then just stop, not even shield, they got what they came for. This could actually make it to where you don't even need to be T100 to get the 1k cover. I see PVP progression as the 800 cover, the actual cover for the PVP character in a 3* PVP. If we use that as a guideline, then 1600 and 2400 (2x, 3x) is actually not too far off from being manageable.

Back to the OP though.

In the current PVE (Heroic), i got/sold my SW cover early this morning, technically 1/2 way through the event (1 sub left, and the current doesn't end until 5pm EST), so hitting 2x progression should be the mark where they add a new reward.. maybe toss a little iso, hp, or a token in the middle as a treat.

This could solve quite a bit.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

that would take care of a lot of the 'joining late' crowd, of which I am a part icon_e_wink.gif it would get me in the events at the beginning, although I might pick and choose the events.

I didn't learn about the "joining late" club until one of the Admins posted his photo in General Discussion the other week showing that he got a number one placement in a PvP for doing only an hour or so of grinding by joining late.

Now it makes progression rewards feel like a cheap prize that they use to lure n00bs into joining and grinding early, just to open up new slices for the pros who swoop in and get top placement rewards without doing anything.

I got a top 200 finish for doing two nodes in a sub event for Thick as Thieves because I didn't preregister for the event. Had I actually had the cares or the time to play for the last hour of the event, I could have been in the top 10 without needing to put in the grind.

That is such a slap in the face for those of us who have been diligently grinding way passed the top progression rewards for the last 40 events.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

I didn't learn about the "joining late" club until one of the Admins posted his photo in General Discussion the other week showing that he got a number one placement in a PvP for doing only an hour or so of grinding by joining late.

Now it makes progression rewards feel like a cheap prize that they use to lure n00bs into joining and grinding early, just to open up new slices for the pros who swoop in and get top placement rewards without doing anything.

I got a top 200 finish for doing two nodes in a sub event for Thick as Thieves because I didn't preregister for the event. Had I actually had the cares or the time to play for the last hour of the event, I could have been in the top 10 without needing to put in the grind.

That is such a slap in the face for those of us who have been diligently grinding way passed the top progression rewards for the last 40 events.
    that's why rankings should go out the window and all placement awards be incorporated into the progressions - extend progressions past the current *** and put the *** placement covers at 1.5X, 2S, and 2.5X the current progression levels and the **** placement at 3X progression. that would solve that, but we work within the system we are given. personally I do not care to devote as much time during the weekend to the game so I play pvp only then and if a new slice opens Monday/Tuesday, great. if not, oh well.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

That screen that Ice posted was from PVP, not PVE, so hold your righteous anger.

Joining late in PVE is a **** shoot. It worked better before time slices, but now brackets in s2 never seem to fill.
    I waited until the last day at least 5 or 6 times, but the bracket that opened on day 1 never filled until the end.

So if I really care about the rewards, I start at the start, everything else is just asking for trouble.

Even that fresh bracket in Ant man wouldn't have helped if I had to play it myself, it opened at 4am local time.

So chill, hoping for a fresh bracket backfires more often than it works.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    That screen that Ice posted was from PVP, not PVE, so hold your righteous anger.

I've bolded the parts where you tell me something that I already told you.

I said that I learned about joining late from that post. And as others have stated, it is clearly a bull method of claiming covers without doing the work. The solution is to make the /work/ reward better than the placement. Make the top progression reward grant all three covers for the new character, but make the top progression require something like 70% of maxed grind to accomplish, instead of having the top progression be the 3*, which is accomplishable less than halfway through the event with full grind.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

I've bolded the parts where you tell me something that I already told you.

I said that I learned about joining late from that post. And as others have stated, it is clearly a bull method of claiming covers without doing the work. The solution is to make the /work/ reward better than the placement. Make the top progression reward grant all three covers for the new character, but make the top progression require something like 70% of maxed grind to accomplish, instead of having the top progression be the 3*, which is accomplishable less than halfway through the event with full grind.
    You're talking about PVE. The top progression reward in PVP is the 4* cover at 1300. As I've explained, joining late works better in PVP.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31041

Said developer also missed out on the highest progression rewards. As has already been stated joining late is a massive gamble in story events. Last time I joined a slice late I was the 998th player to enter a bracket and the leaders were already well above max progression. Only a handful of times have I joined any event story or PvP really late have I gotten lucky and a new bracket waiting for me.

Back to the OP yet another tier of progression rewards in story events is not any solution, addressing why people are grinding is the solution. Players are grinding above and beyond the top progression award is for placement, not for fun or any kind of other achievement. That being said a 4* cover should be rewarded in every story event if only players manage to either gain every reward from every non essential node or simply beat every non essential node.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PvE progression rewards are a joke. Every single person who even remotely tries during an event can hit the top progression reward. Why is that the case?

Just responding to the bolded part, but way back in the beginning of mpq, progression in pve used to reward one of each color cover for an existing 3* character (punisher was very common), each color being at a higher progression. Getting the last cover at the final progression bounced between required dedication in the age of 2:24 refreshes or impossibly hard (maybe no one reached it). The outcry on the boards was predictable anger. Since then, D3 has made the max progression much simpler to reach, but also dialed back to one cover. Customer satisfaction (based on my interpretation of the forum) seems much more content. Also, PvE's didn't run non-stop then, you could go a week or a month w/o a PvE, although they all felt like 10-day marathons even if some of them were shorter. So potentially rewarding 3 covers wasn't a big deal. There are probably more 3* covers being given out in PvE now, than back then, since they run PvE's non-stop, but there was also a lot less 3*'s back then so maybe the ratio is similar.
  • Unknown
    Options
    PVP beats the snot out of PVE in terms of rewards, especially since PVP got SO MANY extra 4* oppurtunities.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Enoc99 wrote:
    So, in PvE, we have a required 2*, 3* and 4*. A cover for both the 2* and 3* are rewarded in the progression rewards, generally with the 3* being the top reward. The only way to get a 4* cover in PvE (outside of release PvEs) is to place 1st place.

Meanwhile, in PvP, at both 1000 and 1300, a 4* cover is rewarded. There is also a 4* cover here for 1st place, but that is much less accessible to the masses than the 1000 point cover.

I would like to propose having a 4* cover progression reward in PvE, maybe at 1.5 times the points needed to get the 3*. This does unfortunately mean that not everyone may reach the 4* progression reward, but several people and alliances have stopped playing PvE for the most part because of how few of the rewards they need, since the main source is only through PvP.

I can tell you from my perspective, I would play in a lot more of the PvE events regardless of the reward if there was a 4* cover waiting for me in the progression rewards.

This would give incentive for 4* rosters to play PVE again. As it stands now, most don't bother fighting for older characters, however this would bring more competition and steal more 3* covers from 3* rosters.

In a perfect world, PVE would only offer older characters because it should be the realm where 3* rosters make progress, and 4* rosters look elsewhere.