Shielding

Options
Just a random observation: This morning I hit the 750 mark in the pvp Hot Shot & slapped an 8hr shield on. Normally when I hit the 700 range I get attacked quite frequently (15- 166's/No usable 4*s) but as soon as I shield (like today) I don't get any attack notifications at all.

So my question is, does shielding stop your character from showing up in rotations for others to attack? Once I hit 1K it is almost a given to lose 150+ points within an hour if left unshielded. Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, shielding currently does not allow you to be queued by a climbing player. You can still be attacked from a retaliation or if someone has you in one of their nodes before you shielded. You will not lose points when shielded regardless of whether they attack you or not.

I personally feel that if the shield is going to stop the loss of points, it should allow you to still show up in people's queues. Though that would make sniping easier and more personal... it would help alleviate the problem of a lack of targets in the higher tiers. Also putting the same Shielded icon that you see in the leaderboard on the person's name would be helpful and prevent a lot of out-of-game communication where people are having to shield-check each other.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Honestly, they should just delete the name of the person you are attacking. It should be your roster and how many points you can win from them. That would stop sniping, stop some of the out of game shenanigans, etc.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Yes, shielding currently does not allow you to be queued by a climbing player. You can still be attacked from a retaliation or if someone has you in one of their nodes before you shielded. You will not lose points when shielded regardless of whether they attack you or not.

I personally feel that if the shield is going to stop the loss of points, it should allow you to still show up in people's queues. Though that would make sniping easier and more personal... it would help alleviate the problem of a lack of targets in the higher tiers. Also putting the same Shielded icon that you see in the leaderboard on the person's name would be helpful and prevent a lot of out-of-game communication where people are having to shield-check each other.

This would really make shield hoping difficult. These means that you would constantly be getting hit, so that when you unshielded to attack someone you could instantly lose 100's of points. As it is now when you unshield at least you know that likely you are not going to get hit in one hop unless you get unlucky with a retal or a previous queue.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LXSandman wrote:

JVReal wrote:
    This would really make shield hoping difficult. These means that you would constantly be getting hit, so that when you unshielded to attack someone you could instantly lose 100's of points. As it is now when you unshield at least you know that likely you are not going to get hit in one hop unless you get unlucky with a retal or a previous queue.

Correct , shielding is more often to weather the storm of the masses that have queued you than because you need a break
  • Unknown
    Options
    grunth13 wrote:
    Honestly, they should just delete the name of the person you are attacking. It should be your roster and how many points you can win from them. That would stop sniping, stop some of the out of game shenanigans, etc.
    but then how would we get the angry "don't attack me" forum posts every week?
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    but then how would we get the angry "don't attack me" forum posts every week?

This is a very important point to consider. I rely on those for two seconds of entertainment each week!
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

You don't have to be actively in someone's node for them to find you shielded. An alliance mate was able to find me twice while shielded towards the end of Cyc's event. And this was a solid 20+ minutes after my shield went up.

I dunno when the server refresh triggers exactly, but you don't have to be sitting in a node to be found, you just have to be there before the server refresh.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    This would be a terrible idea. When you drop the shield to attack (or the shield expires) you still have to worry about a quick attack or a retaliation before you shield again. If they did what you suggest we would also have to fear matches that started a few seconds/minutes before we drop shields. Imagine this. We drop shields, play a quick match (3-4 minutes) and when the match ends we are hit 2-3 times for 150+ points lost. There goes the fun out of the window. Like I said, we still have to worry about retaliations, but it's easier to climb with how things are now.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Very true about the buffer before showing up in other people's queue's before being attacked, that definitely helps when shield hopping.

I haven't shield hopped very often, so I didn't think of that. I was only looking at it from the perspective of the climber hitting the dry spell of opponents.

Valid points guys, my idea needs some work... maybe an actual timed buffer period between shield hops like 3-5 mins, and a timer showing you how much time until you will be subject to losing points? I don't know. You stumped me on that one.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    This would be a terrible idea. When you drop the shield to attack (or the shield expires) you still have to worry about a quick attack or a retaliation before you shield again. If they did what you suggest we would also have to fear matches that started a few seconds/minutes before we drop shields. Imagine this. We drop shields, play a quick match (3-4 minutes) and when the match ends we are hit 2-3 times for 150+ points lost. There goes the fun out of the window. Like I said, we still have to worry about retaliations, but it's easier to climb with how things are now.

What do you mean, "imagine this?" This already happens, man. All the damn time.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

Player climbs to 1700, 1800, whatever saving a seed team. Player then beats seed team with loaner, bagman and Yelena and shields till end of event. Everyone then just queues that team over and over getting points and never burning a health pack.

Yea bad idea to be able to queue shielded players. BTW, this was a true story. Was a shield bug where shielded players could be queued. Everyone hit 2k if I remember correctly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

Player climbs to 1700, 1800, whatever saving a seed team. Player then beats seed team with loaner, bagman and Yelena and shields till end of event. Everyone then just queues that team over and over getting points and never burning a health pack.

Yea bad idea to be able to queue shielded players. BTW, this was a true story. Was a shield bug where shielded players could be queued. Everyone hit 2k if I remember correctly.
    sounds good to me, power to the people, let us work together instead of tear ourselves apart like the joker wants us to
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

I have a solution: even after your shield wears off, you still won't show up in people's ques for 5 minutes more, so at least you can do one hop and only worry about really unluckily timed retals. It would make hopping 10x more enjoyable and not as frustrating.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I rely on those for two seconds of entertainment each week!