The same 3 opponents over and over again

Options
Konman
Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I started the latest PVP (Hot Shot) earlier than usual, hoping to get the progression rewards I wanted, and then be done with it. Only, at around 600-ish points, I only have like 3 recurring opponents to fight. I can try and skip them, only to skip to them. I literally skipped a guy, and upon opening the node, they were still there.

I don't like taking on the same player over and over again, so that's a negative, but even if I didn't mind, its diminishing returns to the point where the time and damage my teams take isn't worth it anymore.

I never noticed this before, maybe because I was normally joining into an event much later, but this is silly and should be addressed. Surely there are more potential opponents than what I am being presented with.

Comments

• cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What rank are you in the pvp currently? Are you at/near the top of your bracket at the moment?
  • Unknown
    Options
    It sounds like you're just running out of targets due to ranking too high.

Look on the bright side however. The ELO scoring system used in PvP is normally a zero-sum game, except for the fact that defensive wins and losses have reduced value. If you are joining a bracket early to work toward a progression reward, then every battle you win on the attack against an opponent with less than 1,000 points will increase the total number of points in your bracket, making it easier for everyone, you included, to get the progression reward later.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    cyineedsn wrote:
    What rank are you in the pvp currently? Are you at/near the top of your bracket at the moment?

Yeah, I'm at the top right now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Konman wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:

Yeah, I'm at the top right now.
    Bingo.

But in more serious terms, they need to add seed bots to the top of PVP, just like at the beginning of PVP.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've never been at the top of the pvp so I thought just gave you harder seed teams when you are that high. That's very interesting to know, even though I will probably never get to that point.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same happened to me. I was at around 700 points with 60(ish) minutes left and ranked around the 50 mark. I even managed to get the same user queued on all three nodes. Cost me nearly 1k in ISO before I just gave up skipping and then playing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Various38 wrote:
    I've never been at the top of the pvp so I thought just gave you harder seed teams when you are that high. That's very interesting to know, even though I will probably never get to that point.
    nope, u just have to eat from the food chain and hope u don't get attacked.

As I said earlier, i wish there were high level seed teams icon_e_sad.gif
  • ShadowX1984
    Options
    Some of this is because the new scoring system has changed the way people approach PVP now. You lose so much from a defensive loss there's not a lot of point to trying to build up during the whole 3 day period. The huge majority of players don't bother to play at all until ~12 hours before the end of the contest, then do a very systematic shield hop to get to the top and shield again at the end. If you're hoping to climb the progression early in the PVP, these days there are very very few other players who've even started (they may have chosen the sub, but not even played a single match yet). So yeah, you're going to see the same ones over and over, and if you keep hitting them you'll climb beyond their value but there's no one else in the room to match you against.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    First of all being at the top of your bracket doesnt mean you are top scorer in the time slice, as you compete against everyone in the slice, not just people in your bracket. Second as others have said, if you join early and climb to 600, there are potentially not enough players in the slice yet, so you just need to wait for more players to join. If it is not that early in the event and you still just see few players, you will have to attack them and get over 700, when new targets will present (at least its the case for me, area from 500-700 always gives me low points targets, but once past it i can see 60+ targets again). As for the end of pvp, when you see only few targets again, its because everyone is shielded, and you can see only few players that are still climbing to 1k+ or are hopping to get to even higher range.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's happened to me a few times, climbed too high too fast and everybody around you is shielded so you keep cycling through the same 3 to 4 players... whom most of the time I can't beat.

They need to do a couple of things... allow shielded people to be queued still so you can fight them (the shield prevents them from losing points anyway) and NOT CHARGE you for the skip if the skip results in you pulling the exact same person.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    you should be allowed to "free skip" someone you already skipped for 5-10 minutes IMO
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

They need to do a couple of things... allow shielded people to be queued still so you can fight them (the shield prevents them from losing points anyway) and NOT CHARGE you for the skip if the skip results in you pulling the exact same person.

This used to be the case when shields were first introduced. It allows for insane scoring. Not quite what they want.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Remove the shields so everyone is a target is an easy viable solution. Ahhhh nostalgia. Let's see the scoring reach 1400 if nobody is ever shielded, would also stop the cries of wanting increases of rewards at the top end of the scale.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing - your node "stacks" sometimes get a little funny. I have seen some weird things in them - in particular I've seen players who I know for a fact were shielded (they were in my alliance,) at a point value lower than what I knew them to be at. This leads me to believe that the stacks can get a little "stale" sometimes, and show you some old data. This may or may not be what you're experiencing - certainly the competition can get thin at the top - but it might be.

If you quit the game entirely and come back in, this clears all your nodes but the top. That may help if your stacks have gotten stale. Incidentally, this is also useful if you want to clear out the seed teams, which if you want to climb quickly you actually do sometimes.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

This used to be the case when shields were first introduced. It allows for insane scoring. Not quite what they want.

Everyone able to get that reward is not quite what they want it seems, why else would they let you get hit for 200+ points when you are closest to your goal.
    since it doesn't help that much to join early. why not have you generate a point every 10 minutes you are in the PVP for a 3 day event is about 432 points per the duration of the event. something that might make you want to join earlier maybe you don't lose points the first day. something!!
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    One thing - your node "stacks" sometimes get a little funny. I have seen some weird things in them - in particular I've seen players who I know for a fact were shielded (they were in my alliance,) at a point value lower than what I knew them to be at. This leads me to believe that the stacks can get a little "stale" sometimes, and show you some old data. This may or may not be what you're experiencing - certainly the competition can get thin at the top - but it might be.

If you quit the game entirely and come back in, this clears all your nodes but the top. That may help if your stacks have gotten stale. Incidentally, this is also useful if you want to clear out the seed teams, which if you want to climb quickly you actually do sometimes.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is actually due to the way the game queues up your future nodes. I believe that the game actually finds matches for you in stacks of 20 or something. If you haven't gone through all the matches in some time, you may be seeing players that have since gained or lost several hundred points. Furthermore, the value of the match is fixed at the point where it entered your queue, not a real-time value. The end result is what leads to the all-too-common cry of "Why is my 50-point match only giving me 10?!" and such.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That's very interesting to know, even though I will probably never get to that point.