The point system in PvP is horrendous

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited September 2015 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I consider myself a middle of the road kind of guy. I have multiple 2*s at the highest value and a few 3*s above it, I imagine this is where a lot of players are so hopefully that helps make this suggestion seem more important. I think the points system, especially the losing of points, is ridiculous in PvP. I just don't see the fun in trying to get those extremely valuable and coveted prizes, only to be relentlessly obliterated by some hard core players moments before I reach them. I don't. I feel like a defenseless human getting picked apart by ravenous zombies. I shouldn't lose so many points, so often, for getting my butt kicked by some guy who is most likely obsessive and possibly buys their rosters with level 220s. There should be something factoring in with my level and my opponents' levels with how many points I lose, score alone should not be the only determinant factor. I understand that the people with those rosters have a need to get points so they can win, and that's fine, but their victory should not have such a drastic result on my score when there was no challenge in it for them. Maybe there could be two separate scores, one for achievements and one for placements, that way the people who come in at the last minute and abuse the system with their absurd rosters can get what they want and so can the average Joe's. Sorry if this sounds a little bitter, I'm just very annoyed because I was 4 points away from getting the prize I wanted and I still only had 166s to fight in my pool despite numerous skips before I started getting beat down.

Comments

• Epok
    Epok Posts: 41
    20three wrote:
    I consider myself a middle of the road kind of guy. I have multiple 2*s at the highest value and a few 3*s above it, I imagine this is where a lot of players are so hopefully that helps make this suggestion seem more important. I think the points system, especially the losing of points, is ridiculous in PvP. I just don't see the fun in trying to get those extremely valuable and coveted prizes, only to be relentlessly obliterated by some hard core players moments before I reach them. I don't. I feel like a defenseless human getting picked apart by ravenous zombies. I shouldn't lose so many points, so often, for getting my butt kicked by some guy who is most likely obsessive and possibly buys their rosters with level 220s. There should be something factoring in with my level and my opponents' levels with how many points I lose, score alone should not be the only determinant factor. I understand that the people with those rosters have a need to get points so they can win, and that's fine, but their victory should not have such a drastic result on my score when there was no challenge in it for them. Maybe there could be two separate scores, one for achievements and one for placements, that way the people who come in at the last minute and abuse the system with their absurd rosters can get what they want and so can the average Joe's. Sorry if this sounds a little bitter, I'm just very annoyed because I was 4 points away from getting the prize I wanted and I still only had 166s to fight in my pool despite numerous skips before I started getting beat down.

Hi there,

I have been playing MPQ for 325 days, and my roster is mostly full and I'm filling out my 3 star roster with my last covers and trying to make the push into 4-star territory. You are right about matchmaking being broken, but not for the reasons you think you are.

Firstly, breaking into 3-star territory is already VASTLY more easy than it used to be. You have the deadpool daily, vaults are being introduced which mean you have higher drop rates from tokens than there used to be, and the PVP progression rewards are easier for you to get because A.) the thresholds are lower and B.) they increased the MAX points earned per match from 50 to 75.

Secondly, how many points are you actually averaging? What is your actual final ranking in events? Trust me, they DO scale who you face based on your roster and previous rankings. If I don't shield, I can get anywhere between 600 and 800 event points depending on how much I play. Sometimes recently, I shield at 1k points after I somehow luckily manage the 4-star cover despite the mass MMR beatings I suffer from other players. Unfortunately shielding at 1k points still doesnt guarantee even getting me top25 in the event, which means I don't even get a 2nd 3-star cover.
    Maybe there could be two separate scores, one for achievements and one for placements, that way the people who come in at the last minute and abuse the system with their absurd rosters can get what they want and so can the average Joe's

They DO have progression rewards separate from final event rankings, as I previously stated. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Honestly it sounds like you are having the normal problems everyone gets trying to bust through 2-star into 3-star. Matchmaking has bumped you into the next difficulty bracket up because it senses you squashing 2-star teams too easy. That is definitely a drawback to the game, when it moves your opponents up a tier their teams are almost always maxed, there are no level 120 teams.

If it makes you feel any better, I was at 997 points last night and even though I won my next match i didnt get the 4-star cover for 1k points because I was attacked for 200 points during my single match that only earned me 27.

I suggest looking around the forums and learning about TANKING and how it can help you. I personally don't Tank, but from what it hear it would probably help me A LOT.

Hope that helped.
  • I simply cant agree more. I think the points u lose are too high, and retaliation is sometimes not even worth it, because the rewards are too low (getting attacked for 30 points and only able to win back 15, that kind of stuff).

Retaliation annoys me as well, to be honest. Getting back at someone once is nice, but they can retaliate again, and again, and again... gets boring after a while
  • Why is that a retaliation win does not even come close to restoring the points you lost? I lost more than 40 points in a match wjile I was not playing, I then won a retaliation but it was only good for 15 pts. You should at least get back what you lost.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    I think it was suggested before but can we make pvp only were you only gain points.

This should be based on the strength of the team you fight not on the players current ranking cause you get weird things like a 2* team worth 50 points vs a late starting team of maxed boosted characters only worth 12 (honestly who are you gonna hit and who are you going to skip), this should not happen if they are forcing us to fight difficult team right after the seed teams.

hard teams need to be always worth more then weaker teams. it can start as easily as 10-15 per star and if we are going to be serious about this idea then we will need to take levels into account as well. fully level give 120% value scaled to base giving 20%. then can adapt the point values as know some characters at the same star rating are not equal. doc oct =/= iron fist and should not be worth the same amount of points.

they need to step away from their traditional PVP structure and give us more diverse ways to play because pvp has basically been the same since i started playing it before seasons started. the only thing that has changed is that everyone now has stronger bats and hard opponents that were saved for the end are now at the beginning and when you finally win on defense it is only 1-4 points.
  • I agree that the PvP points system is horrendous, but I can't say that it's because of the higher level players. I think it's because you can be attacked so often. I'm going to make a thread in a bit with a suggestion of a 10 to 15 minute shield after losing 20 or more points from a defense I think that will fix the problem quite nicely myself.
  • PvP has become so hostile that I've almost given up on it and I'm only a month and some change in the game.
  • Cartoon Face
    Cartoon Face Posts: 103
    Agreed, nothing makes me want to obliterate my phone after needing say 40 points to get the reward you sought, knowing that once you finish that game you should have it. To then finish the match victorious and then realise you have been smashed 3 times whilst playing. Think I may need to order some padded walls... one for my phone, the second for my well being -_-
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Epok wrote:
    Maybe there could be two separate scores, one for achievements and one for placements, that way the people who come in at the last minute and abuse the system with their absurd rosters can get what they want and so can the average Joe's

They DO have progression rewards separate from final event rankings, as I previously stated. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Honestly it sounds like you are having the normal problems everyone gets trying to bust through 2-star into 3-star. Matchmaking has bumped you into the next difficulty bracket up because it senses you squashing 2-star teams too easy. That is definitely a drawback to the game, when it moves your opponents up a tier their teams are almost always maxed, there are no level 120 teams.

I think his idea is that it is only the ranking awards that would take into account point losses to settle your overall position and there would be a separate total so that somebody starting out could get to their 200, 300 etc. rewards based on their active participation in much the same way that somebody with a weak roster can still get the items in the pve events even if they come nowhere in the over event.

Obviously the thresholds for each reward might need to be rebalanced to take such a change into account, but doing something to not entirely discourage newer players seems like a sensible approach and one that they apply to the pve stuff far better.

On the matchmaking point, is there actually any in this game at all or does it simply pick people at random, you can seemingly go from facing sub level 10 teams to level 100+ in the space of one win and there seems to be no real basis for any of it based on team or roster strength.
  • Lately for me the thing that bothers me in pvp has been that a defensive win is such a low amount, even when the opponent has more points in the event, and then someone climbing late in the event with max 4*s inflicts such a large amount of reduction. I think that when anyone climbing can select you -50 max versus maybe +10 is too high of a disparity.

Largely I believe that the metagame of 4* powers are moving towards the a point where almost everyone will win whatever battle they're fighting, and then high level play will be more determined on the teams that can roundabout the fastest and also make people skip by being slightly longer to defeat or getting a lucky hit in to cause health pack use.

So a defensive win is something that is generally only happening when that attacker has had bad luck, and it seems like it should be lauded more value a little closer to the losses per battle for the person

During teenage riot I specifically remember coming out of a battle and seeing 4 defensive wins and 1 loss, yet it was still -10 total