PvP Matchmaking Conundrum

IamTheBiggs
IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, da missus has been playing for a few weeks now and we're a bit befuddled when it comes to her PvP matchmaking. She is in the star.pngstar.png range now with her top 4-5 characters averaging in the 50-60's (with the exception of Thing where she has three covers [the lucky punk] at lv 78). However, she is constantly running into nodes of teams that are above 94 and getting hit by the same. I thought that matchmaking had been adjusted so that you meet against more teams of your own caliber!

Could someone give us an accurate accounting of how the matchmaking and scaling for PvP actually works now?

Comments

• I thought that matchmaking had been adjusted so that you meet against more teams of your own caliber!
    This is indeed the case. Although the current matchmaking is far from perfect, it is still a significant improvement over the old system. There are several factors that may account for the situation you described:
    1. PvP rewards for lower leveled players is rather lackluster, so there may not be many players in the 2-star range to match against.
    2. Most low level players do not have three covers on the Thing. This may be an edge case where the system is not able to produce good match ups.
    3. Your missus is not skipping enough battles. It is not uncommon for players to skip a dozen or so battles before settling on a target to attack.
    4. Your missus is a match-3 prodigy, and the system is trying to give her a suitable challenge, but may be overshooting a bit.
  • Most likely, not a lot of people with her roster level play PvP, therefore after a while, she gonna see higher level opponent. A lot of people complain about matchmaking in PvP, but never consider the pool of players available due to shield or lack of similar opponent.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vynyv has the bases covered, I think. It's gotta be either that Mrs. Biggs is just the only 2* player in her brackets or that those Thing covers are throwing everything out of whack.

On a side note, she might just fare better sticking to PvE until her 2* roster is at 94 before wading into PvP waters.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    10-Q guys. This helps put some of this into perspective.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's fairly simple. The Thing being higher level than her main roster and boosted is raising her rating, while other higher level players are getting their rating lowered due to not having a levelled Thing.

Introductory pvps for 4*s always mess with mmr.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vynyv wrote:
    1. PvP rewards for lower leveled players is rather lackluster, so there may not be many players in the 2-star range to match against.
    2. Most low level players do not have three covers on the Thing. This may be an edge case where the system is not able to produce good match ups.
    3. Your missus is not skipping enough battles. It is not uncommon for players to skip a dozen or so battles before settling on a target to attack.

This "no-low-level players in pvp" keeps getting mentioned. It is a fallacy. Most forum-goers won't see them naturally due to mmr.

Start a new account and you'll see all the 1* players trying their hand at pvp. Which is fun. At one point I got up to 500 points with level 20 1*s - twice, and then I accidentally got a 3* in my roster and went back to getting beat down to 300. Apart from roster slot issues and 20-iso drops when you're trying to get that stupid juggs cover from prologue, the environment is pretty friendly for a newbie.

I'm now in the middle of the 2* phase (mostly covered 2*s, unmaxed) and there are still plenty of 1* and unmaxed 2* teams in pvp.