generally confused about characters and scaling

Skorche
Skorche Posts: 47
edited July 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I had a real difficult time with the Thing/mystique/Cage node which was ranked trivial to me and the thing was lvl 113. What I don't understand is that his punch is doing 3375 damage my understanding is that a maxed covered lvl 70 thing does 2465 and is maxed at lvl 270 at 4888. does it really go up 900ish over 40 lvls like that and then slow down for the next 160ish lvl to only go up 1500 more?

Getting really frustrated with this event and I used to like simulator. Don't understand why all 3 powers get 5 covers and with the recent damage bump on the 5th covered it seems like its turning trivial nodes into something that is very hard. Granted my kingpin only has 2 purple and 1 black cover so he's a bit **** even though he's boosted to lvl 180 he does very little damage and his purple didn't seem to help stop them from firing off powers right and left.

I'm feel like I'm either getting worse at playing the game when trivial and easy nodes are wiping out my team 2 and 3 times and if I do make my characters come limping out.

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    edited July 2015
    NM. I thought you were talking about the Thing/Hood/DP node, not the Kingpin Essential.
  • Short answer? Sadly, one of the worst qualities of MPQ is the bizarre fact that you get punished for leveling your characters.

You're obviously not getting worse, you're suffering from what I would assume is personal scaling.

I realize it's counter to the usual notion of leveling up characters in an RPG, but yeah, that's what you've got with MPQ.

As for "trivial" and "easy?" Yeah, I just got WIPED OUT in my first "easy" node in the current PvE sub, which somehow seems, again, counter to even the agreed upon meaning of the word "easy," but, well, yeah.

You're not alone.

DBC
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    none of us players are quite sure how scaling works, but a few things are clear

(1) almost nobody reports scaling difficulty if they keep all their 3* and 4* characters intentionally underleveled at or near 94.

(2) Some people have trouble with scaling when they level up one or two 3*s or 4*s significantly above the bulk of their roster (e.g. a full roster of 94 2*s and one or two 3*s at 150+). These problems can be especially bad if the super-leveled character is a squishy support like Hood.

(3) some veterans with complete 3* rosters report insane scaling (i.e. nothing but 395s on the last 20+ guantlet nodes). One large subset of these veterans relied heavily on pre-nerf xforce/4*thor, and reported difficult in pve after those characters were nerfed.

(4) Many people who had problems with insane scaling had a much better time when community scaling (rather than personal scaling) was turned off.

(5) The devs have made statements that strongly suggest that personal scaling is based on, among other things, some combination of the top of your roster (both cover and level status) and your prior pve performance.

Beyond that, there is an awful lot of conjecture. Some people recommend keeping everyone at low levels. Others recommend bringing a whole bunch of 3*s and 4*s up together, sharing the iso so no one gets more than a few levels ahead of anyone else. Others suggest keeping everyone above 153 but below 166. Others say that leveling has basically no effect on scaling and there is no downside to raising any character as soon as you have the iso.

Anyone who isn't a dev and claims to understand, with certainty, the mysteries of scaling is not correct.