Two pvp questions

1) I've heard that using boosts (or all the whales) increases your scaling in pve. Is there any downside to using them in pvp? (Aside from the resource use.) Do you fight tougher matches, or get less points?
2) is there any way to set the team-up your ai gets on defensive battles? I've seen pairings that seem just too perfect to be random.
Thanks

Comments

• mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Magisse wrote:
    1) I've heard that using boosts (or all the whales) increases your scaling in pve. Is there any downside to using them in pvp? (Aside from the resource use.) Do you fight tougher matches, or get less points?
    2) is there any way to set the team-up your ai gets on defensive battles? I've seen pairings that seem just too perfect to be random.
    Thanks
    1) community scaling has been abolished via the sticky at the top of this forum.
    personal scaling has been debunked as a myth https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26077&hilit=truth+scaling
    so no, do what you want but it's best to save all your deadpool points (whales) for the Gauntlet PVE. It's where you will absolutely need them. Never use them in PVP or other PVE.
    side note: boosts are different from whales (deadpool points)

2) No.
  • mjh wrote:
    ... personal scaling has been debunked as a myth https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26077...
    The debunking post you speak of was actually trying to validate the primacy of personal scaling over any level-based scaling in PvE, but the evidence presented was a bit weak. The poster may have been in a hurry to validate his position, so did not really try to account for confounding factors in his tests.

With respect to the questions in this thread, I would say:
    1. Boosts can indirectly increase your scaling in PvE, because they can reduce the damage you take by allowing you to close out a battle faster. In PvP, the only two confirmed factors that affect matchmaking are your score and the level of your roster. Since boosts will likely improve your score, they do technically affect your matchmaking. This is hardly something to worry about though since PvP rewards are based on score too.
    2. To the best of my knowledge, defensive team-ups in PvP are randomly chosen from a suitable subset of all possible team-ups. "Suitable" in the sense that they are more or less appropriate for the defending team (e.g. no 1-star team-ups for a 4-star team), though this is quite a bit of variation within this constraint. If you see a team with a particularly devastating team-up, it may be best to just skip that battle instead.