New(ish) player - roster help

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
As a foreword, I have no issue securing 2 or 3 of the ** covers in events, and occasionally am able to grind for the 3*.

Hey all, fairly inexperienced player here looking for roster help - what to use now, what to develop, and exactly why I'm a moron in my cover usage :p so, here's my running:

0 ISO, 200 hp (another 100 hp in grind distance for extra slot)

1*:
Iron man (40, 5r, 5y, 3b)
Black widow (40, 5p, 5b)
Storm (23, 4g, 4r, 4blk)
Juggarnaut (10, 5g, 4r)
Hawkeye (1, 5p, 4r)

2*
Thor (51, 3r, 3y, 5g)
Daken (33, 3p, 4blk)
Magneto (29, 2b, 2p, 2r)
Wolverine (29, 2r, 3y)
Black widow (1p, 1b, 3lk)
Ares (16, 1r, 1g, 2y)
CPt. America (14, 2r, 2y, 1b)
Bullseye (14, 2p, 2blk)
Hawk eye (8, 1r, 1p)
Bag man (6, 2p, 2b, 1y)
Storm (6, 1g, 2y)

3*
Magneto (18, 1r, 1p)
The hood (15, 1b, 1blk)
Dr doom (15, 1blk)
Iron man (15, 1b)
Loki (15, 1p)
Spider-Man (15, 1p)

4*
Invisible woman (30, 1y) [recruit tokens op right?]

I pretty much always get the heroic token for 300 in events, but that's hardly a reliable source of covers of course. Any help with what to work towards, who to focus on right now, and team compositions would be much appreciated! Cheers.

Comments

• This is a tough one to figure out. You have a lot invested in Thor, I'd probably keep using him.

Modern Storm, Thor, ??

I'm not sure who the transitional 2 star team is. I know Original Black Widow is part of that team, so you want to work towards building her up.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Work on getting a solid core of 3 2*s up to level 85. Looking at your roster, Thor is the only one that has enough covers to be at a reasonable level, so focus on him. I would say that Ares is better than Thor now, but since your Thor is your only developed 2* cover wise, he'll do the job. Widow is also one of the best 2*s now, so work on her as well. As for your 3rd team member, wolvie is really good but you need green covers for him, so I would try to prioritize getting those. The idea is that making the 3* transition is too hard without a solid core of 2*'s because you won't be able to place highly without a good 2* roster. Don't pump anymore iso into your 1*'s, they'll soon outlive their usefulness.

The ideal 2* team a couple of weeks ago was Widow/Wolvie/Thor. Post-nerf, I think Thor can be replaced by Ares, whose covers are much harder to get than Thors.
  • You have your 1* at good lvls already so I would stop putting any more isos into them and focus on 2*s.

Thor and original black widow can compliment most chars pretty well and are very solid chars. I would say try to build Thor 3/5/5 and OBW either 3/5/5 or 5/5/3 depending on your preference.

Third slot can be taken by Wolverine, ares, classic storm (or modern storm, she's very good for a 1*) or the tournament special char, depending on the tournament and your play style.

Your 3*s need quite a bit more covers before they become effective, so just keep collecting those for now.
  • I'd focus on Thor, OBW, and Wolv 2*, after that Captain America and then finish off M storm with a green cover.

Personally i'd avoid all the Dark Avengers (except maybe Ares) since you often can't use them in certain PVE event battles.
  • Obw is a priority certainly. So basically in my current position I should just power level my Thor and just pray to the token gods I pull more useful 2*?
  • Tokens and tournaments, yeah. The current event gives up to 3x Wolverine covers for ranking so might try for that.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been in the same boat as you, and settled on the same team you did: Thor, Storm, OBW. It seems like Thor and Storm would be redundant, competing for AP, but it's actually the opposite. Thor keeps Storm safe while matching red and green, which she can use to generate massive amounts of AP, sweep away enemy countdowns and buffs, etc. OBW generates still more AP and heals. It's a great combination for players at our level.
  • Heh, my next token was purple obw. Her level is almost worthwhile. XD
  • Ok, another question - I'm by no means a hoarder. Anybody recommended I sell off?
  • If you need roster space, most certainly sell Bagman. He's like the joke character the devs added to the game.

Hawkeyes (both classic and modern) are also rarely used. Tho some people like classic for clearing tiles, and modern is on the dev's list of characters to be buffed.

I would say Juggernaut, Bullseye and 2* Magneto are also very situational characters, so depends on if you like them.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would hang on to bullseye for now as you only have 3 dark avengers listed and it isn't unknown for there to be ornaments for them. Other than that selling off as above seems safe.