Would you purchase "offline" PVE story packs?

Basically after reading that the devs consider story modes having a low ROI, and realizing "Well, yeah, we can't pay anything for new stories, even if we wanted." I found myself pondering something.

They could start by just releasing recycled versions of the current "Story" PVE Events, IE: Prodigal Sun, Brotherhood, The Hunt, and others. Obviously, the key point would be the rewards attached, I doubt anyone would pay for more prologue quality rewards, but if a story pack was released that had 2 and 3 star covers as fixed possible 1 time rewards, they might actually sell pretty well?

One clever use would be to tie the new "Vault" System into this, and when a player purchases a PVE Story Map, the rewards are all tokens for the story map's "Vault" and then the Vault rewards could be balanced accordingly.

You could also have the maps be released with a preset "reward" list, consisting of something akin to a normal PVE events progression rewards, just slightly less valuable and not on a clock.

Ideally, such a thing would allow for new story events to be made, to focus on specific possible rewards, to actually allow a return on investment for story content.

Would you purchase offline story content?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devil's in the details. I'm not against the concept - I'd have paid $60 for a Marvel Puzzle Quest that was entirely a solo game along the lines of the original Puzzle Quest - but it depends on execution. How much content; what's the cost; what kind of replay value does it have; would the "offline" content be walled off from the F2P? For example, would I have access to all the characters in that "offline" pack but still need to pursue them normally in the PVE/PVP side of the game?

The answers to those questions would dictate my willingness to purchase "story packs."

Put me down as a definite maybe.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Sounds kind of like what Hearthstone has done with Naxx and Blackrock. I think it's a good idea to explore.
  • DFiPL wrote:
    Devil's in the details. I'm not against the concept - I'd have paid $60 for a Marvel Puzzle Quest that was entirely a solo game along the lines of the original Puzzle Quest - but it depends on execution. How much content; what's the cost; what kind of replay value does it have; would the "offline" content be walled off from the F2P? For example, would I have access to all the characters in that "offline" pack but still need to pursue them normally in the PVE/PVP side of the game?

The answers to those questions would dictate my willingness to purchase "story packs."

Let me clarify that in my head, this would use the same roster as the PVE/PVP game, it wouldn't be "Walled" from F2P, but it would likely have a HP cost so either the F2P would have to earn that HP elsewhere, or foot the money to buy some, and then anything earned in the offline pack would be usable elsewhere. It basically would be a non competitive way to progress, which is why I suggested having the node rewards be similar to the current PVE progression rewards. IE, you'd get a guaranteed 3 star cover on completion, but you'd still have to play through the nodes to unlock that cover, you'd just be free to do so at your own time and pace.

IE, I really want Spidey, but I had hectic rl issues when he was up as a progression reward and he'll time out and be replaced. This would mean someone could buy the story pack with the specific 3 Star in mind they want, (or specific 2 stars if they're in that range) and then they could play through that story over the course of a week/month/year, however their schedule dictates.

Kind of like how the Prologues are still available to have their rewards earned, on a permanent basis, until you've played through and earned them.

I realistically expect if such a thing were to occur, they'd use the current existing story maps first, but if they sold well enough, this might encourage creating new story maps, not just for free PVE timed competitive events, but future offline events to sell as well.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    I think I understand the gist of what you are saying. This would be a pay for content/reward system. So basically this is almost like eliminating the direct cover purchases and just including a story to get the cover you want. I don't know if the direct cover purchases are leaving, but this would be a great alternative since it includes other prizes other than just that single cover. The price would definitely be higher than a direct cover purchase, but it could be useful if you don't have the character or specific cover yet. I like the vault being included, and in my opinion, the vault should replace progression in PVE. I haven't completely worked out the details of the idea, but I do see it being a change in pace.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

Let me clarify that in my head, this would use the same roster as the PVE/PVP game, it wouldn't be "Walled" from F2P, but it would likely have a HP cost so either the F2P would have to earn that HP elsewhere, or foot the money to buy some, and then anything earned in the offline pack would be usable elsewhere. It basically would be a non competitive way to progress, which is why I suggested having the node rewards be similar to the current PVE progression rewards. IE, you'd get a guaranteed 3 star cover on completion, but you'd still have to play through the nodes to unlock that cover, you'd just be free to do so at your own time and pace.

IE, I really want Spidey, but I had hectic rl issues when he was up as a progression reward and he'll time out and be replaced. This would mean someone could buy the story pack with the specific 3 Star in mind they want, (or specific 2 stars if they're in that range) and then they could play through that story over the course of a week/month/year, however their schedule dictates.

Kind of like how the Prologues are still available to have their rewards earned, on a permanent basis, until you've played through and earned them.

I realistically expect if such a thing were to occur, they'd use the current existing story maps first, but if they sold well enough, this might encourage creating new story maps, not just for free PVE timed competitive events, but future offline events to sell as well.

That'd be tough. I'd be all for a solo story pack where I had access to characters even if they weren't on my PVE/PVP build, and that had replay value. Something that was basically an alternative to buying covers I'm not sure I'd be on board with.

I don't buy covers to begin with, and it's unlikely a story pack, with the work needed to add that additional content as well as 'here's the cover you might have bought,' is going to cost less than the 1250 or 2500 ISO that straight up buying the cover would cost.

And even if it did, the idea of paying for a story pack that, eventually, is in the same place as prologue - you've farmed out the rewards and now there's not much to bother with there - is also problematic for me.

Can't say as I'd have any interest in a "consumable" story pack as opposed to something that would have replay value.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a good idea and I am surprised I haven't seen this brought up before. We could buy the old PVEs to play whenever we want offline, no essential nodes, no competive awards, just make it like the prologue! Scatter the harder nodes with 3*s and 4*s. Maybe add a Reset button ala Vault that resets the node rewards that we can farm. Definitely would be another form of revenue for the game.
  • Haetron wrote:
    Basically after reading that the devs consider story modes having a low ROI, and realizing "Well, yeah, we can't pay anything for new stories, even if we wanted." I found myself pondering something.

They could start by just releasing recycled versions of the current "Story" PVE Events, IE: Prodigal Sun, Brotherhood, The Hunt, and others. Obviously, the key point would be the rewards attached, I doubt anyone would pay for more prologue quality rewards, but if a story pack was released that had 2 and 3 star covers as fixed possible 1 time rewards, they might actually sell pretty well?

One clever use would be to tie the new "Vault" System into this, and when a player purchases a PVE Story Map, the rewards are all tokens for the story map's "Vault" and then the Vault rewards could be balanced accordingly.

You could also have the maps be released with a preset "reward" list, consisting of something akin to a normal PVE events progression rewards, just slightly less valuable and not on a clock.

Ideally, such a thing would allow for new story events to be made, to focus on specific possible rewards, to actually allow a return on investment for story content.

Would you purchase offline story content?
    as I thought, the LoL model = money, story content does not...sadly

honestly, though, if they're gonna go the league of legends route they might as well just do character skins if they want $$$$
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    You had me until "akin to a normal PVE events progression rewards, just slightly less valuable."
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends.

I bought Naxxramas and Black Rock Mountain for Hearthstone, and there was a LOT of value there. New basic cards, new elites, new bosses with some gnarly hero skills, new challenges for each character type.

Rewards are important too. If you beat all the rounds Naxx, you get every card in naxx. Not a chance to draw, not tokens, no replaying,you just get every card. You beat the ranger challenge? You get the ranger cards. Warrior challenge? Warrior cards

If mpq wants to do any chance at something from the vault, or rewards like existing events, count me out. I'm sick of random rewards, and won't pay for them.

And it isn't just rewards. Replaying Naxx is fun. Replaying prologue missions isn't fun. They'd have to introduce something novel, or something worth coming back to, like paying to unlock an ongoing section, like a second ddq.
  • simonsez wrote:
    You had me until "akin to a normal PVE events progression rewards, just slightly less valuable."

I am curious which side of the fence your disagreement sways to?

Do you feel that they should be more or less valuable, or have a completely different prize structure altogether?

Someone else had mentioned them needing to cost as much as a cover itself does, if not more.

Im wondering if they're considering removing the cover buy feature due to the recent survey, for one thing, but I would also say these should be less, since you're giving up immediacy for an "eventual, but guaranteed" award. There's nothing saying some highly challenging fights couldn't be placed into these story packs, if they were to be done, and have the 3 star covers locked behind difficult opponents.

The main thing I would say should be done is that no HP rewards should be included, as you're basically including a guaranteed refund of part of the purchase price.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    Haetron wrote:

So, I just got back from vacation. Do you have a link for this quote?
  • No; I do not like PVE. I used to only play PVE, but now that I can be competitive in PVP, PVE is dead to me. On rare occasions where I do play it, I do not enjoy it. I usually touch it briefly between PVP seasons.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haetron wrote:
    My problem is that it'd feel silly to pay for content that offers worse prizes than the free content.
  • Lidolas wrote:
    Sounds kind of like what Hearthstone has done with Naxx and Blackrock. I think it's a good idea to explore.
    simonsez wrote:
    Haetron wrote:
    My problem is that it'd feel silly to pay for content that offers worse prizes than the free content.

Hearthstone's single player content offers rewards that are widely used. Not all of them all of the time but some very key cards. If there were to be an "offline" story mode it would have to feature a really good character that could be gotten no other way otherwise it would be a wasted investment to purchase.

You could easily design an event with a Vault type recruit page that offered enough tokens to clear the vault. Some would get lucky and pull the great covers early, but as long as 100% completion guaranteed 100% rewards clear I could see a story mode being able to enhance the game. Of course if they are just offering the same covers you can get every day in PvP then what would be the point?
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    YES x 100!!!!!

Although, it's incredibly greedy if they are specifically NOT doing new story content in the main "free" game, simply because they will not directly profit from it.......
  • LOL at spending money on this game.