What's the point of winning new characters?

firethorne
firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
4ibvy9.gif

Literally over 3/4ths of my roster is locked out of the current PvE event. What's the point of winning characters when they won't let us use them?

Comments

• Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    Let's see who is available in this.

4* icon_nickfury.pngicon_carnage.pngicon_thing.pngicon_starlord.png
    3* icon_spiderman.pngicon_storm.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_kamalakhan.pngicon_hood.pngicon_punisher.pngicon_ironman.png
    2* icon_storm.pngicon_thor.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngicon_humantorch.png
    1* icon_ironman.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_hawkeye.png

4* -- I've been in this game from the beginning, and I don't yet have all the covers for Carnage, Thing, and Starlord.
    3* -- Spiderman, Storm, Punisher, and Iron Man are seen as weak characters. I haven't fully leveled Iron Man yet.
    2* -- Captain Marvel and Human Torch are seen as weak, I haven't fully leveled either of them.

Lots of goons are tossing up lots of counters, many with instant AOE kills. What can be done against them?
    yellowtile.png 15 -- Hood -- choose blocks to destroy -- Twin Pistols
    purpletile.png 10 -- StarLord -- choose tile -- Sleight of Hand (level 4)
    blacktile.png _9 -- Storm 3 -- create 32 attack tiles -- Hailstorm -- Cover all tiles

These are more random:
    redtile.png _8 -- Thor 2 -- Add 3 yellowtile.png -- Mjolnir’s Might
    purpletile.png _8 -- Kamala Khan -- chose color for 7 tiles to greentile.png -- Inhuman Stretchiness
    greentile.png _8 -- Punisher -- destroy random 3x3 -- Judgement
    greentile.png 10 -- Storm 3 -- destroy 14 tiles -- Lightning Strike
    greentile.png 12 -- Storm 2 -- destroy 13+ tiles -- Lightning Storm
    greentile.png 12 -- Thing -- destroy random 4x4 block -- Yancy Street Special
    yellowtile.png 12 -- Thor 2 -- add 9 greentile.png -- Thunder Strike

Due to AP costs, many of these are a bit too expensive to be reliable. That's if players have them.

Unfortunately, most players don't have many of these characters at a usable level. I'm seeing level 350+ goons on some nodes, and I'm barely able to handle them with a strong roster.

My low-level, under-covered Thing, Starlord, Carnage team has zero chance against level 350 Ares, Venom, Pyro.

There are two main problems.

1. The game's MMR for choosing opponent levels is somewhat based on the strength of the player's full roster, rather than the subset of the roster, which contains many of the worst characters in the game.
    2. The game doesn't care which heroes are picked, it will toss a level 350 team at you.

The solution
    1. Let a player choose a team they want to play.
    2. Based on the power of that specific team, build a trivial / easy / hard challenge.

Currently, I can put a Level 1 Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye team, each with a single cover, up against a level 350 Ares, Venom, Pyro team, and the game tells me that it's an Easy win.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    The solution
    2. Based on the power of that specific team, build a trivial / easy / hard challenge.
    Very straight-forward and encourages wider use of full roster. And makes it fairer for everyone.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like the point is for players to obtain (somehow, wink) HP to get characters on their roster, that's why new characters.

Then the players need to obtain (somehow, wink) HP and ISO to cover those characters, including (especially) new 4*'s quickly, so they can run these events optimally.

If only I could figure out a reason for quick character release rate, slow HP/ISO release rate, boosted characters or essentials that make sure to include all those 2*'s and 4*'s, and then roster limiting events such as heroics or scaling forcing you to use your boosted characters.

money-money-everywhere.jpg
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    The solution
    Very straight-forward and encourages wider use of full roster. And makes it fairer for everyone.

This would be awesome, because there would be another - or a better - reason to keep all the 1*/2* on the roster other than "you need them for DDQ and PVE essentials".
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are two main problems.

1. The game's MMR for choosing opponent levels is somewhat based on the strength of the player's full roster, rather than the subset of the roster, which contains many of the worst characters in the game.
    2. The game doesn't care which heroes are picked, it will toss a level 350 team at you.

The solution

Currently, I can put a Level 1 Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye team, each with a single cover, up against a level 350 Ares, Venom, Pyro team, and the game tells me that it's an Easy win.
    Even if they kept the roster restricted, showing you who your opponents are... then allowing you to choose your team, then finally scaling the points and opponent level to your chosen team. If you choose low level team for low level opponent, you get low level points, choose stronger team for stronger opponent, you get more points. This would help for those nodes you have to get through to unlock other nodes in the sub.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I originally thought it'll be a legit discussion re: merits of competing for a new character. Now it turns out to be a rant against heroic events. icon_redface.gif

Ok, the analysis made a disparaging statement re: punisher. For this event, Punisher, OBW, and KK are buffed. If you got these 3 maxed, you can clear all the non-essential nodes on 3 health packs. I say that b/c that's what I've been doing to clear the first sub. the strategy is to save up greens and reds, fire punpun bk for small aoes; use pinks to either steal ap to feed gr/red, or use pink to place a green tile for 3-match. The idea is to use Kamala's green to knock the enemy team down below 40% health, then use punpun red to finish them off. with 2 healers on your team, this combo has staying power.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    puppychow wrote:
    I originally thought it'll be a legit discussion re: merits of competing for a new character. Now it turns out to be a rant against heroic events. icon_redface.gif

Ok, the analysis made a disparaging statement re: punisher. For this event, Punisher, OBW, and KK are buffed. If you got these 3 maxed, you can clear all the non-essential nodes on 3 health packs. I say that b/c that's what I've been doing to clear the first sub. the strategy is to save up greens and reds, fire punpun bk for small aoes; use pinks to either steal ap to feed gr/red, or use pink to place a green tile for 3-match. The idea is to use Kamala's green to knock the enemy team down below 40% health, then use punpun red to finish them off. with 2 healers on your team, this combo has staying power.

Obw is only available on the first sub.

Mohawk storm is awesome boosted though, works well in tandem with dd and hood.