PVP difficulty

Tony_Foot
Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I have hit a wall, a hard one. I'm trying to play the latest pvp event and the difficulty scaling has gone through the roof. Now this happened to a degree when I got my first two 4 star cover drops. Pretty useless for me at the minute, black carnage and black HB. Now I'm still at the beginning of 2 star. None of my roster are above level 65 in 2 star and only four of them are in the 60's.

Now I have 40 points on the board this pvp and my nodes are all 50+ points. I'm getting paired with Patch obviously and 150/150 two star characters buffed or Patch and 94/94 or just now for 69 points 150 storm and 123 falcon. I have tried and lost many times, I have tried skips until I'm eating into ISO. Do I need to get rid of those level 4's? I have been playing for 40 odd days, the last season was a step up but fun, 300-400 points was a challenge per event but I'd expect that. Sometimes struggling for a top 300.

What has thrown me up so high? I play a fair bit everyday, I bought some roster slots but this is nothing like fun anymore icon_mrgreen.gif

Comments

• Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    Sound like you are just at that extremely uncomfortable middle ground between new player and 3 star transition. It will get better once you flesh out your roster and get some max 2 stars. I wouldn't dump your 4 stars unless you are desperate for roster slots and can't buy them because soon enough your 2 stars are gonna pass their levels anyway. If you have them, max level Ares, Thor, Original Black Widow, and Daken. That will help you out tremendously. 2Star Storm and Magneto is another great combo. Hang in there!
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Definitely if you can hang onto your 4*s I would. But understand where you are coming from.

Must confess I did consider binning a 4 when I returned to the game but did not. Maybe the situation will improve but 4*s are still really rare.

Also if you play pve you would be effectively throwing away keys that unlock essentials which will help you progress.
  • Tony_Foot
    Thanks, I am pretty well covered on the 2 stars for covers. Most are near max although in need of tweaking when the right covers come my way, I just need the iso to boost them up. I didn't expect it to stay easy like when i started but the ramp up this week has been a bit off putting.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Thanks, I am pretty well covered on the 2 stars for covers. Most are near max although in need of tweaking when the right covers come my way, I just need the iso to boost them up. I didn't expect it to stay easy like when i started but the ramp up this week has been a bit off putting.
    One thing to remember is that since it was the off season a lot of players including myself did not play PVP as hard. I personally used no shields and since I didn't need the prizes did not place well. Now when I go into PVP I am seeing easier opponents. This generally happens a lot in the beginning of a new season. By the 2nd or third PVP you should see more comparable players. Also with Patch buffed he is such a double edged sword for 2* players. He has true having, but if you Fire BR and can't clean up the purple strike tiles you might have just killed yourself.
  • With your current roster you probably won't have much fun in pvp games. You should focus on pve in the current stage. Collect covers, hp and iso. Have a look at pvp again when you have at least maxed a few two stars.
  • Tony_Foot
    Thanks, I just don't enjoy pve due to the extra time commitment in grinding. It's just not fun at all, but if that's what I have to do...
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I think there is this misunderstood notion that you must grind pve nodes down to 1 point in order to do well, and spend hours per day in doing so. Back in the old days, nodes were refreshing every 2 1/2 hours; so it was literally a choice of sleep vs. grinding for top placement.

With the 8 hour refresh for pve nodes now, the ability to do well depends more on: a) having the essential characters on your roster; b) choosing the right ending time. If you're able to fully clear once every 8 hours, you should be in the hunt (pun intended icon_lol.gif ) for at least one cover. Of course, not every player has an obw, gamora, plus thora in his roster. And scaling concerns may make it impossible to clear every 8 hours. These are things that weed players out of contending for covers. But spending time to grind isn't one of them. Not anymore.