Question for players who play on steam and mobile

grunth13
grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This may be the wrong board for this, so going to apologize now. Can you have the same game load up on steam as your mobile one? I normally play on my android phone and the interface is sometimes just draining on the eyes, so I downloaded steam. Now if it is possible, how do I load my current game on to steam. My mobile is backed up to my facebook account. I didn't see on steam where you could connect to facebook. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Short answer. No.

Cross platform does not work.

Mobile to Tablet does though, both can use the same FB save file. That works. But mobile to Steam does not.
  • grunth13
    Malcrof wrote:
    Short answer. No.

Mobile to Tablet does though, both can use the same FB save file. That works. But mobile to Steam does not.

Thanks, Malcrof, appreciate the swift response.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    You can try to use an emulator if your pc is decent. It syncs with FB. I got mine up and running two days ago and it's been so comfy. When I play at home I'm always in my computer chair in front of a computer hunched over my tablet. That's just silly.
    The emulator I use is Andy and it runs pretty great on my pc. I never realized how smooth and shiny MPQ animations are. Cmag animations in particular are quite nice to look at. You will still have to use the mobile interface which sucks, but at least you can make the screen as large as your monitor (you still have to side scroll for ap bar).
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Short answer. No.

do you know if there is any tablets that can run steam... love to take the pc side on the road but i dont think there is any tablets that can run steam games that good Unless you want to pay 250+
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Short answer. No.

do you know if there is any tablets that can run steam... love to take the pc side on the road but i dont think there is any tablets that can run steam games that good Unless you want to pay 250+

Not a tablet, but you can run steam on many netbooks and streambooks, plenty under the $200 mark. Hit up a pawn shop, you can snag a netbook for under $50 that can handle MPQ on steam.. as it is not as graphic intensive.
  • grunth13
    Ruinate wrote:
    You can try to use an emulator if your pc is decent. It syncs with FB. I got mine up and running two days ago and it's been so comfy. When I play at home I'm always in my computer chair in front of a computer hunched over my tablet. That's just silly.
    The emulator I use is Andy and it runs pretty great on my pc. I never realized how smooth and shiny MPQ animations are. Cmag animations in particular are quite nice to look at. You will still have to use the mobile interface which sucks, but at least you can make the screen as large as your monitor (you still have to side scroll for ap bar).

The reason I wanted to use steam was for the IU. The mobile IU is very poor in info. I was mainly going to use it in my office in between patients, but if I tried it at home, my 3 and 1 year old would want to do exactly what I was doing so it wouldn't work. Thanks for the info icon_e_smile.gif
  • If you want to go from mobile to PC download Andy the android emulator, its what I use to stream
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunth13 wrote:
    This may be the wrong board for this, so going to apologize now. Can you have the same game load up on steam as your mobile one? I normally play on my android phone and the interface is sometimes just draining on the eyes, so I downloaded steam. Now if it is possible, how do I load my current game on to steam. My mobile is backed up to my facebook account. I didn't see on steam where you could connect to facebook. Any suggestions?

Steam is an enclosed garden. No Facebook connectivity, no mobile connectivity. If you're gonna run both, you're gonna run two separate accounts.

Android/iOS should be able to go back and forth using Facebook, but Steam, while it exists in the same universe as iOS and Android, is an account unto itself.
  • I thought when they were beta testing the steam version, they allowed peoples accounts to be linked. Quite a few veterans have their facebook / steam accounts linked - but apparently d3 decided not to allow everyone to do this because it made hacking easier.

I'd still like them to bring out steam / facebook account linking if possible.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    If you want to go from mobile to PC download Andy the android emulator, its what I use to stream

This looks fantastic - is there any way to get the app to run in tablet / landscape mode?
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    Not a tablet, but you can run steam on many netbooks and streambooks, plenty under the $200 mark. Hit up a pawn shop, you can snag a netbook for under $50 that can handle MPQ on steam.. as it is not as graphic intensive.
    Don't all Windows tablets simply run Windows 8 so you can just install Steam there and it works just like on your computer (since the OS is the same)?
  • fickle wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    If you want to go from mobile to PC download Andy the android emulator, its what I use to stream

This looks fantastic - is there any way to get the app to run in tablet / landscape mode?
    I haven't played around with it too much, but yeah - there's landscape/portrait/device screen sizes, as well as a fullscreen button
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    We did do linking for a few players in the Beta before the PC version was fully launched. We haven't moved forward with it for a couple reasons:
    1) We use Facebook for save migration. As such, we use the Facebook API. But since we're not actually a "Facebook Game", we're limited in that API use. As a result
    2) Our implementation of that linking is very hacky with known holes. It has issues if players hop back and forth between PC/mobile and much like a certain asteroid, isn't entirely stable.

As a result, our choices are to either put the game on Facebook (why?) so we can use the full API everywhere, or else to implement our own save migration that would work between all platforms. So no Game Center or Google Play. Which means our own account system, with all the possible security issues that entails.

All in all, we'd love to be able to link the player base so they can play on anything anywhere. But in the grand scheme of things with all the other stuff we'd like to implement, there are larger fish to fry.
  • mikepro
    mikepro Posts: 95 Match Maker
    i am new to the whole forum thing. but i am addictedto the MPQ game on mobile and i had it on steam on my pc but i was hoping for a link between the 2 platforms. i guess since there is not a link i would have to play it tiwce each time on mobile and on pc. but thedownfall is i want my team from mobile on my pc too. i dont want to start from scratch on pc again. i have no characters who are under lvl 40. and i find the 1*'s fill up to much roster spots when they max lvl at 50