Newbie, learning about covers

So thank you all for reading this. New to the game, only couple of weeks and trying to understand it as I am enjoying it. Haven't spend any real money, do not know if I should.

First, aside from winning isos, and buying them, what is the quickest way to build up on them?

Second, how does versus work? Every time I click on an event, I does not show me a fight button like in pvp. I am only able to click on the names of the opponent and see the roster.

Third, huge dilemma, especially since I don't know which are good or **** characters to keep or toss. I have read many post but still need some help. Below is what I have and also waiting to be recruited.

Current roster:

3* Magneto classic 1y/1r lvl 43
3* Beast classic 1b/1y lvl 43
3* Black Widow grey suit 1g lvl 40
3* Bullseye classic 1 lvl 40
3* Doctor Doom classic 1p lvl 40
3* Storm Mohawk 1p lvl 40
1* Iron Man model 35 4/4/4 lvl 40
2* Captain Marvel Ms Marvel 2/2/1 lvl 31
2* Daken Dark avenge 1/2/1 lvl 25
1* Black Widow modern 5/5 lvl 23
2* Moonstone dark avengers 1/1 lvl 17
2* Thor marvel now 1r/1g lvl 17
2* Captain America modern 1b lvl 15
1* Hawkeye classic 5/5 lvl 11
1* Storm modern 4/5/2 lvl 7
1* Juggernaut classic 5/3 lvl 15
4* Carnage Cletus Kasady 1r lvl 70
3* Cyclops Uncanny x-men 1gray lvl 40
3* Gamora Guardians of the Galaxy 1r lvl 40
3* Vision Android Avengers 1y lvl 40
2* Magneto Marvel now 1p/2r lvl 23
2* Ares Dark Avenger 1r/1y lvl 17
2* Wolverine Astonishing x-men 1r/1y lvl 17

Here are the few awaiting to be recruited and for some I gave only 2 days left.

2* Storm classic lvl 15 multiple
2* Hawkeye modern lvl 15 multiple
1* Iron Man model 35 multiple lvl
2* Bullseye dark avengers purple lvl 15
2* Human torch Johnny storm red lvl 15
1* Yelena Bulova dark avengers purple 3X lvl 1
2* Black Widow original lvl 15 multiple

Again thank you. Hope to grab better understanding of the game with time. Currently do not have enough HP to buy more rosters.

Comments

• Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    My advice is get the 2* Storm and Widow on your roster immediately. If u can't afford the roster slots sell your 1* Widow and Hawkeye. Level up Ares, Thor, Daken, and Widow asap. You can use that roster for a very long time and it's great for Deadpool Daily Quest. 2* Storm paired with 2* Magneto when you get him is another great combo while your still transitioning to 3* land. Avoid dumping any ISO in the 3*s until your 2*s are maxxed or at least don't over level them. 3*s unless mostly covered tend to suck compared to a max 2*. DDQ is your best bet to get the most ISO. And lightning rounds if you can hit them as soon as they start. Lots of seed teams to plow through. Hope this helps!
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Iso - bar none, doing the Deadpool Daily Quest (DPDQ) is the best way to get free iso do it every day, love it. The next is to just play pvp (don't try to the bracket, just fight and win against as many teams as possible) -- pvp will also net you a LOT of 2* covers -- you won't be winning any 3* covers unless you're REALLY lucky though.

PVP works like this -- You go to "versus" and choose an event. Then you choose the end time that you want to finish on (this won't be important to you until you're trying to place in brackets, but the last 8-5 hours are very important). After you enter your slice you are presented with three teams -- these are other people's teams, controlled by an AI -- you select a team and hit "fight". You then match 3 against that team until you either win or lose. You then gain or lose points (these come from/go to the other player) and other prizes (iso, covers). At the end of the event you can win 3*/4* covers if you placed high enough / hit enough points. -- Also, the first time you enter an event (like lightning rounds), you will fight against seed teams -- these teams are generally really easy to beat and more or less guarentee you three wins / (2* or iso) rewards. This is a very quick and easy way to get iso early on.

Thirdly, from your roster, you're transitioning to 2 star at present... So roughly this order.

Most important at present, however, try not to feed any more iso into these if you can help it. The only one you'll want to keep after you hit 3*s and up is Juggs.
    1* Iron Man model 35 4/4/4 lvl 40 -- if you have multiple of him stored, change to 5/5/3, sell the rest.
    1* Storm modern 4/5/2 lvl 7 -- might want to drop a little iso into her so that she doesn't explode instantly. From memory, her best build is 5/3/5
    1* Juggernaut classic 5/3 lvl 15 -- Don't put more iso into him unless you need him to do DPDQ.

Most important going forward -- you want to invest your iso here predominantly for now.
    2* Black Widow original lvl 15 multiple -- Not yet in roster (NYIR), pick her up asap, pair her with a strike tile generator (Wolvie, daken). 3/5/5 is best.
    2* Daken Dark avenge 1/2/1 lvl 25 -- Probably your best strike tile generator at present.
    2* Magneto Marvel now 1p/2r lvl 23 -- Can be paired with 2*storm, very useful.
    2* Storm classic lvl 15 multiple -- NYIR -- useful, enables all sorts of stun malarky.
    2* Human torch Johnny storm red lvl 15 -- NYIR, safe to avoid for now unless you're collecting.

3's -- Try to collect covers for these, but iso should go into the 2*s until you've got a decent amount of covers for one of the below.
    3* Storm Mohawk 1p lvl 40 -- Can probably sell this one atm.
    3* Bullseye classic 1 lvl 40 -- Can probably sell this one atm.
    3* Vision Android Avengers 1y lvl 40 -- Can probably sell this one atm.

Hard to pick cos he's 4 *.
    4* Carnage Cletus Kasady 1r lvl 70 -- I would forgive you for selling him. He's not going to be useful for a long time, and to top it off, his red will probably kill your dudes at present. I can totally understand if you don't want to sell your first 4* though.

Toss.
    1* Hawkeye classic 5/5 lvl 11 -- Better than he once was, but you can sell him for the slot without blinking an eyelid.
    2* Hawkeye modern lvl 15 multiple -- Sell for iso.
    1* Iron Man model 35 multiple lvl -- recover your current one to 5/5/3, then sell the rest.
    2* Bullseye dark avengers purple lvl 15 -- Annyoing, can be useful at times, but for now, spare iso.
    1* Yelena Bulova dark avengers purple 3X lvl 1 -- All abilities are too expensive, just sell her.

Cheers,
    - T
  • Geez, you guys know the game. I'll follow all you guys opinions and hope to build better teams where I'm not dying so much then waiting 3 hours to replay.

Also in versus, I have tried it many times and I don't get the "fight" option like stated. I can only click on an opponent and see their roster.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    So thank you all for reading this. New to the game, only couple of weeks and trying to understand it as I am enjoying it. Haven't spend any real money, do know if I should.

Depends entirely on what you want to get out of the game. It's possible to play without spending money, but progress is slower and you may find yourself having to discard covers because you don't have the HP to roster them. Nature of the beast.
    First, aside from winning isos, and buying them, what is the quickest way to build up on them?

Deadpool's Daily. Depending on roster diversity and strength, you could clear anywhere from 500 ISO (if you don't have covered/trained 2* characters yet) to 5200 ISO (earn two tacos, pull unneeded 3* covers from both, complete Big Enchilada and earn a cover you don't need from that).

Depending on how you're defining "winning," Lightning Round and Simulator play may also qualify.
    Second, how does versus work? Every time I click on an event, I don't fight like in pop. I am only a to click on the names of the opponent and see the roster.

Not entirely sure what you're asking here. If you're asking how to play a versus fight, click the event, then when it loads, click a node and select "fight." If you're asking how it works, it's not true head-to-head play. Rather, you're taking your roster against that of another player, with the AI driving the bus for that player. The characters you see are based on, someone else mentioned recently, the last team that player won a PVP fight with (unless you're retaliating, then it's the team they beat you with).
    Third, huge dilemma, especially since I don't know which are good or **** characters to keep or toss. I have read many post but still need some help. Below is what I have and also waiting to be recruited.

Depends on how you're playing! I've been saying for a while that a number of the characters who get crapped on hereabouts, it isn't that they're bad characters, it's that they aren't useful to high-end PVP players. There are a number of characters I see get run down who I either quite enjoy using or wish I had. My comments on your roster, one by one:

Quickly becoming a favorite of mine. His red is inexpensive and, at higher levels, can do some damage. His yellow isn't quite as ****-you as Falcon's purple, but is still useful, especially when paired with a tile strengthener.

Beast is an interesting guy. His powers all work together - blue and yellow both create friendly blue tiles, which his green turns into improved team damage - but he doesn't have an obvious "fit" to me. I don't know with whom he really pairs well. He's on my bench for that reason - I have him, I like him in theory, but even at 3/4/5 I haven't figured out how to integrate him, so I haven't really trained him.

Her purple is a fantastic green battery, and I think I like it as a battery more than the reworked 2* Magneto purple. Pairing her up with Rocket and Groot makes for lots and lots of Blammo. Her red does some nice board shake as well, and that's useful to me because my Groot teams don't often have an active red ability. Her green, while hurtful AND capable of team damage, is on the expensive side, so there's that. But GSBW was the first Black Widow variant I actively wanted on my roster.
    3* Bullseye classic 1 lvl 40

Worth keeping, I think. His purple is a nice foil to Daken or other tile generators, but can also be paired with a tile generator of your own. His black passive feeds into his purple, in that if he takes someone down, he creates more tiles for his purple to play with, and his green allows him to potentially set up critical matches without being able to change tile color the way other characters do. Mine is 2/0/4 at the moment, and as soon as I get a black cover for him I think he's going to be a regular for me.

Doom's purple will **** **** up. His blue is a nice blue-denial ability against Daken, and feeds his black, which creates attack tiles. One of two characters in the game I originally started building because of how much I hated to face him, and the more I use him, the more I appreciate him.
    3* Storm Mohawk 1p lvl 40

One of those I see getting run down all over the place, but I actually like her. Hailstorm will chew through enemies quickly, especially with two applications on the board. That her yellow eats team-up tiles makes her a poor partner for Groot, but that and her green give her some board shake to go with Hailstorm. Her green also gives her the ability, potentially, to erase enemy tiles you can't otherwise match off. Solid mid-tier 3*, IMO. Worth having, not a "bubble candidate" if you're in need of roster space, but there are better characters.
    1* Iron Man model 35 4/4/4 lvl 40

Worth having around long-term if only for Deadpool's Daily Quest and its 1* fight. His red and yellow are reasonably cheap and he has enough HP to hold his own in that fight.

A mainstay of my DDQ team. She tanks for 2* Magneto and 2* Storm while they do the damage. I don't use her in PVP or PVE unless she's boosted these days, but I use her at every opportunity in DDQ. Solid 2*.
    2* Daken Dark avenge 1/2/1 lvl 25

I don't know. It's weird. He's annoying to fight against, but I never felt compelled to build a 2* Daken. I'd start and then get a 3* character I wanted and sell him for the roster space. His 3* variant, though, I've built and kept. I see him used frequently with 2* Wolverine in PVP, so if you plan to play PVP at the 2* level, he's probably worth keeping.

Power-wise, I feel like she's kind of OP for a 1*. She'll steal your AP all the damn time and stuns like that on a 1* is...dammitsomuch. Health-wise, I don't know that she can really hold her own on a 2* or stronger team. She can be nice to have as a team-up generator for alliance members, though. I got rid of her when I started getting 2* in quantity.

Her red will ruin your whole day. Her purple can be situationally useful, but can also be manipulated to do damage. Control shift isn't quite as useful as it used to be, but it's no longer anywhere near as expensive, either. Definitely worth keeping, and somebody I'd build on my own roster if not for constant 3* that make me drool like Homer wanting donuts.

Early mainstay of my roster. Beef, yellow was a nice green battery, and his green does some things. For where you're at, definitely a keeper. If and when you transition, you'll want his 3* variant.

Took me a while to really appreciate 2* Captain America, but at 5 covers, his blue and red are a thing of beauty. I never really gave him the attention he deserved until the first Ultron event. After that I spent, like, a week putting every ISO I had into him to get him to 94. Keeper.
    1* Hawkeye classic 5/5 lvl 11

I really don't care for 1* Hawkeye. He's useful for the prologue and that's about it, IMO.
    1* Storm modern 4/5/2 lvl 7

Your 1* Storm gives you an idea of what to expect from 3* Storm, if you want to build her. Do you like what 1* does for you? Do you want to see that, only more so? Keep 3* Storm. If you don't like 1*'s power build, you probably won't like 3*.
    1* Juggernaut classic 5/3 lvl 15

Worth keeping if you're willing to devote the roster spot. Possibly above Iron Man if you're only going to carry one 1* long-term, but it's worth noting that his headbutt, while ouchy, also hurts him. So...

He scales stupidly well in the Balance of Power event if you play PVP long-term at all.
    4* Carnage Cletus Kasady 1r lvl 70

The first 4* I don't actually want for myself. The fact that he hurts his own team makes him a big ol' "nope" for me. Thing you have to be aware of with him is that if you aren't playing at a high level in either PVP or PVE, it'll be a long time before you cover him, especially if you aren't spending money.

I like Cyclops. Unconventional color spread for his powers. His red moves the board and his yellow is a nice red battery. He can do some damage grown up, if you're willing to devote resources to him.

Another of the characters I like who catches some grief. Her green does team damage and stuns 2/3 of the enemy team. Her red is inexpensive straight damage. Her black is where it gets tricky. She has to carry the board for it to be useful. If she doesn't carry the board, she's kind of neutered. Flip a coin on that one. I like her, but your mileage may vary.
    3* Vision Android Avengers 1y lvl 40

His powers are probably the most complicated set we've seen yet. The blue and yellow modify the red so that it behaves differently depending on what tile he has on the board. Blue turns his red to team damage, yellow converts enemy tiles. He's not a fire-and-forget character, for sure, and I think that might be why he has some detractors. Situationally useful, but the fact that his blue and yellow modify the red means that he needs covers before he can BE situationally useful. At a single cover, he's worth keeping only if you can justify the roster spot long-term.
    2* Magneto Marvel now 1p/2r lvl 23

Mainstay of my DDQ team. My 3* roster has grown significantly in strength just since the last Ultron event in large part because of my 2* team of Magneto, Storm and Ms. Marvel. Definite keeper, IMO.

Once I covered and trained Ares, he displaced Thor as the centerpiece of my early 2* roster. He's beefy, when he hits an enemy their mother feels it, and he has a team-damage move (red). Drawback: yellow self-harms (although can heal most of that back) and his green feeds green to the enemy, so you have to be careful how you use him. He's still one of my favorite 2*, all told.

His red will leave a mark if he's got 5 covers and is boosted for an event. His green makes him a nice partner for your 2* Daken, feeding him strike tiles to convert with Daken's blue. His yellow allows you to go longer without using a health pack, since he can heal back up to 50% strength. A mainstay of my 2* team in those days. Keeper.
    Here are the few awaiting to be recruited and for some I gave only 2 days left.

2* Storm classic lvl 15 multiple

Keeper. Despite having a number of level 94 2*, I wasn't able to consistently earn covers in DDQ until I started using Magneto's purple to feed Storm blues for stuns in waves 2/4. Worth it for that alone.
    2* Hawkeye modern lvl 15 multiple

Situationally useful! If you can trigger a crit with him up, he'll **** up the enemy's whole day. Not a lot of health, though, so you need somebody to hide him behind.
    1* Iron Man model 35 multiple lvl

Sounds like you're undecided which power to train for his 13th cover? I went 5/3/5; the red is reasonably cheap and does close to 1k damage at 5 covers, which ain't bad for a 1*. His blue stuns for 3 turns at 5 covers. It's the most overpriced power in the game if I'm not mistaken, so 5/5/3 might be a more cost-effective variant, but for a 1*, I felt like 3 covers in yellow was "good enough."
    2* Bullseye dark avengers purple lvl 15

His recent third power addition has me exploring him. Not sure how I feel about him yet.
    2* Human torch Johnny storm red lvl 15

Since his red destroys two red tiles on use, and generates AP, the net cost is 6 red, not 8. Solid damage for the cost. His green, powered up and protected from matches, is a thing of beauty. Like, even better than Ares if you fire it at 30 green AP. Doesn't do as much damage up-front, but does more long-term and doesn't feed the enemy greens.
    1* Yelena Bulova dark avengers purple 3X lvl 1

Her "I'm turning your special tiles into crits to hit you in the face with" is infuriating, but not enough for me to devote a roster spot to her. icon_e_biggrin.gif
    2* Black Widow original lvl 15 multiple

Like Doom, annoying enough to face (my god, the AP steal and heals) that I eventually built one of my own, but I haven't trained her to 94. If you play PVP, she will make your opponents curse your name when they attack you.
    Again thank you. Hope to grab better understanding of the game with time. Currently do not have enough HP to buy more rosters.

And I guess that's where we get into the "spend money on the game" discussion. I've spent maybe $30 over the months picking up roster spots, never spending more than $5 at a time. I don't buy tokens, until recently I never bought PVP shields (and only started once I could mostly or completely finance their purchase with the HP earned in PVP), and I don't spend real money on tokens. If you're going to spend money on the game at all, your best value is probably going to be for roster spots. If you choose to be totally F2P, the roster crunch is going to be an ongoing thing for you unless you get super lucky with DDQ tacos and consistently finish high in PVP (with as little shielding as possible) and/or PVE.
  • @dfipl you must be a developer for the game. Your knowledge it's extensive and well remembered. Or you must have been playing for years. I think I have about a month. And still can grasp the whole teaming up the characters when fighting. I gave a lot to learn.

Thanks for the advices.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    @dfipl you must be a developer for the game. Your knowledge it's extensive and well remembered. Or you must have been playing for years. I think I have about a month. And still can grasp the whole teaming up the characters when fighting. I gave a lot to learn.

Thanks for the advices.

Anytime. I'm not a developer, but I am a fairly obsessive PVE player (and I dabble in PVP some). Most of what I know comes from playing way more hours in a day than I'll admit to in public and having a friend who's perhaps more obsessive than I am about theorycrafting who bounces stuff off of me.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    if your new best way to work PVP... Wait around last hour before the event is up. Jump and play that last hour you should take top 100 with no problem = free cover .

best advice is to find a team that will take you under its wing and teach you. i was able to find some great teams in the first month i was here and was able to get a lot of covers.

Been here around 7 months and put 50 real cash into the game (both sale time) up to

74 roster slots and around 300,000 ISO with around 10 or so 3 stars fully covered cover wise....

ALSO save your ISO and level up your people even DO NOT LEVEL one person to max and then leave the rest of your people low levels, They game is based on your best people and you would have a very hard time if you do that

Best advice Find a allaince
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can afford it, buy some Hero Points and roster everyone. 2* essentials in PVE's, and every 3* will have it's day, same with 4*s (you will eventually get them).

As for 1*'s, you really only need a maxed Iron Man to do Deadpool's Daily, but having a 2nd is not a bad idea, if you keep a 2nd, make it Juggs.
  • A lot of good advices.

I noticed one said I should get into a good alliance. Which I am in one, do not know if good, but I dont even know how to help each other. The message system is a joke for the least. Other than getting a few extra iso for been part of an alliance, I really havent seen the benefits yet. Then again, Im still not quite grasping the game (still on training wheels).

In regards to a rebuild. Like I current have Iron Man 4/4/4, how can i rebuild him? I have to start fresh collecting or how exactly?
  • Malcrof
    A lot of good advices.

I noticed one said I should get into a good alliance. Which I am in one, do not know if good, but I dont even know how to help each other. The message system is a joke for the least. Other than getting a few extra iso for been part of an alliance, I really havent seen the benefits yet. Then again, Im still not quite grasping the game (still on training wheels).

In regards to a rebuild. Like I current have Iron Man 4/4/4, how can i rebuild him? I have to start fresh collecting or how exactly?

5/3/5 (assuming 1*) is my preferred build for him. When you get more than the 13 allowed covers, you do not have to build from scratch. You can choose to up one cover and lower another, without having to re-level. It is called re-spec'ing.
  • Born2DieNPvP
    Born2DieNPvP Posts: 163
    Think I figured out your versus troubles. You have to double click the eagle node to bring up the fight button. If u tap it once it says at the bottom "versus (player name)". Don't click on that unless you just wanna check out your opponent. I had never noticed that before now.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    A lot of good advices.

you really cant help people in your allaince. Its just based on the points. the only way you really help is to either

Score ton of points in PVP and PVE

What is your ranking of your group your in. Right now i would be aiming for one that is

Min
    PVE PVP can hit min top 500 (so you will get some HP) to buy more slots and get ISO

What is your normal ranking in PVE and PVP. I would Gear more towards PVE for your first 2 to 3 months into the game and aim for top 300 or better. you will get covers , ISO and HP also you will get Tokens that will get you more ISO or covers

I would stay away from PVP hardcore until you have a least a few months of PVE under you

been so long i cant remember but i think i had starting
    MAX iron man 1 star
    Max Black widow 1 star (the 5 stuns help a lot)
    then when went into 2 stars
    Wolvie, Thor ares and a lot of people say storm but i never had a storm...

i know as a rookie (dont know if still true) i went hardcore in PVE and was taking top 10s almost all the time what lead to getting stronger teams faster and finding better allainces ...I think i even found a top 100 team that took me in within 6 weeks of playing But i played PVE hard core and was putting up top 10 numbers
  • The forum is biased towards high end pvp. If you're going to spend any money, spend it on roster slots. Don't buy tokens or shields at your stage. The covers will come just from regular pvp play.

Agree with Tanner on the 3* and 4*. Vision, Bullseye are easily droppable if you get better 3*.

2*
    Moonstone, Bullseye are droppable.
    Captain Marvel, Torch, Hawkeye: not really essential, but keep if you have the room.

1*
    Dump Yelena.
    Black Widow and Hawkeye are decent if you're focused on board control in PVE, both are replaceable by 2* Black Widow once you have the covers for her.
  • Malcrof
    Just going to add this in, even though it has been mentioned before. 2* Black Widow (known here as OBW) is indispensable. Even at later stages in the game. I would recommend a 3/5/5 covering for her, but use whatever covers you get in the mean time. She is a singularity, you will see her even on 4* teams (especially when boosted) later in the game.

Her black at 5 covers is a game changer with strike tiles out, her blue at 5 covers will help with all goon nodes, and still heal you!
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Just going to add this in, even though it has been mentioned before. 2* Black Widow (known here as OBW) is indispensable. Even at later stages in the game. I would recommend a 3/5/5 covering for her, but use whatever covers you get in the mean time. She is a singularity, you will see her even on 4* teams (especially when boosted) later in the game.

Her black at 5 covers is a game changer with strike tiles out, her blue at 5 covers will help with all goon nodes, and still heal you!

@ OP - You've already gotten the advice I would give, and this piece in particular multiple times...

So I'm going to say it one more time. ^THIS.^

If you're anything like I was when I started (and for over a YEAR after icon_redface.gif ), you're looking at OBW compared to your other characters with shoulder-mounted harpy guns and x-ray doofangler belt buckles and dogs that shoot bees that shoot lazers that emit deadly nanobots and thinking, "OBW? Really? But she doesn't even DO anything?!"

Get her, build her as instructed, level her ASAP... and benefit for a long, long, looong time.

DBC
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    For what it's worth, spend some time perusing Polarity's Guide over in the Tips & Guides subforum. There's lots of valuable advice there, even if it hasn't been updated for a while.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're anything like I was when I started (and for over a YEAR after icon_redface.gif ), you're looking at OBW compared to your other characters with shoulder-mounted harpy guns and x-ray doofangler belt buckles and dogs that shoot bees that shoot lazers that emit deadly nanobots and thinking, "OBW? Really? But she doesn't even DO anything?!"

That was a magical statement right there. I love you, man.