Off-season Gamemanship

Sledge
Sledge Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
My Women of Marvel bracket just finished and since it was off-season, I thought I would go for 1st place to complete my Thoress, since I have only 4 red covers.

With 8 minutes remaining, I'm in 1st by 9 points and a quick scan of my top ten showed that everyone except one player already had 5 red covers. Sure enough, five people (didn't need the cover) broke shield so I was forced to do the same. I won my match but was attacked for 126 points and finished in 8th.

I know everyone is free to play however they choose but with this being off-season, the only benefit those who broke shield received was 1000 ISO after selling their useless red Thoress and Beast rewards.

Some might call me a whiner but is it necessary to screw over the player in 1st, one who needs the cover, for 1000 ISO and a screenshot of their 1st place finish?

Comments

• Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    You were sitting at a prize break (1/5/10/25/50) with a lead of 9 points... The people under you are going to break shield in the last 5 mins and try to pass you. This is pretty much a guarantee and the way that PVP has always worked.

It doesn't matter that they're only doing it for the iso and you need the cover. The point is that they're going to do it.

It's not bad sportsmanship -- I don't even look at the rosters of people in the running for 1st -- it's just the way that people play. If the people below you were paying attention, they probably had you pre-queued from before and broke shield to fight you. This would mean that when you broke shield to fight someone else and try to keep your position, they were guarenteed a hit on your points and a boost to their own. There is no real counter for that other than not unshielding. The flip side to that is that if you knew it was this close, you should have pre-queued 2nd and potentially 3rd to counter them jumping rather than hit some other random person.

I've stayed shielded at the end to get a top 5 rather than risk dropping too far when I know that my team looks tasty -- I've had people bounce off my shield right at the end of the event because of pre-queuing.

You can't sit on a first that's that close with impunity, you either need a MUCH larger lead (200-300 points will usually be fine, 50-100 won't), be willing to take the risk and fight for more points or you just have to suck it up when it happens.

I'm sorry that this has hurt you, but it sounds like you were simply being left at a point score while the people below you were planning how to pass it.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of the people gunning for top places already have all the stuff in the game. The thrill of being number 1 is their drive to keep playing. Competitive games like this are not know for charitable feelings.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I often check if somebody needs the cover when i don't and i'll stay behind if possible.
    But that's not something you can expect from strangers. Just nice when it happens.
  • Sledge
    Sledge Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Tannen wrote:
    You were sitting at a prize break (1/5/10/25/50) with a lead of 9 points... The people under you are going to break shield in the last 5 mins and try to pass you. This is pretty much a guarantee and the way that PVP has always worked.

It doesn't matter that they're only doing it for the iso and you need the cover. The point is that they're going to do it.

It's not bad sportsmanship -- I don't even look at the rosters of people in the running for 1st -- it's just the way that people play. If the people below you were paying attention, they probably had you pre-queued from before and broke shield to fight you. This would mean that when you broke shield to fight someone else and try to keep your position, they were guarenteed a hit on your points and a boost to their own. There is no real counter for that other than not unshielding. The flip side to that is that if you knew it was this close, you should have pre-queued 2nd and potentially 3rd to counter them jumping rather than hit some other random person.

I've stayed shielded at the end to get a top 5 rather than risk dropping too far when I know that my team looks tasty -- I've had people bounce off my shield right at the end of the event because of pre-queuing.

You can't sit on a first that's that close with impunity, you either need a MUCH larger lead (200-300 points will usually be fine, 50-100 won't), be willing to take the risk and fight for more points or you just have to suck it up when it happens.

I'm sorry that this has hurt you, but it sounds like you were simply being left at a point score while the people below you were planning how to pass it.

I get what you are saying and I agree mostly. I know others had me queued up and I had hoped I would not have to break at the end. I'm not upset at that. Doesn't even matter if I had 2 or even 3 matches lined up, I was hit 3x.

When it's for season points, all bets are off and I have no problems at all, I'd do the same. Considering this is OFF-SEASON, I was just bummed that everyone went for 1st place when they didn't even need the cover. I've let off the gas when I don't need the cover, because I know how it feels to get screwed at the end.

I also understand it's the nature of the game, it just sucks when it happens to you.

Anyway, I'm over it, thanks for listening. icon_e_smile.gif

Now I have to time my start for Oscorp Heroic for that elusive red cover.
  • I feel you, OP.

But at least they manned up and broke shield, exposing themselves in the last few minutes to hits as well.

I was gunning for top spot for a Kingpin cover during a PVP, in first place by 25 points, and the guy in 2nd place didn't break shield at all, but ended up with an extra 40 points in the last 1 minute. I was checking the table and refreshing every 5 seconds, so I know he didn't break shield.

Hiding behind shields and getting friends to donate points for placement is surely even worse than what you experienced, be it on or off season. Maximum cowardice indeed. I'd name the possy if my post wouldn't get deleted.

COWARD player!

p.s. This pvp occured after the "killed off donation" patch, which means he most likely probably got multiple donations from his teammates (who probably scored higher) to secure top spot, as he wouldn't have gained THAT much if it was just people losing to him unintentionally in the last minute.

p.p.s. Don't tell me "Oh it's not illegal, the devs wouldn't leave in the game if they thought it was. Herp derp." I'm not saying it's wrong, just extremely, disgustingly cowardly. I'm all for donations if its helping weaker or transitioning teammates reach progression rewards to improve their roster. Just not placement.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I will only try for first if I need the 4* cover and have held back before so others can get it - I get about 4,500 iso per day in DP Daily, making 1,000 iso pretty irrelevant whilst a needed 4* cover for someone else is not, and I don't need to boost my self esteem through the "glory" of getting first place in a mobile game
  • Sledge wrote:
    My Women of Marvel bracket just finished and since it was off-season, I thought I would go for 1st place to complete my Thoress, since I have only 4 red covers.

With 8 minutes remaining, I'm in 1st by 9 points and a quick scan of my top ten showed that everyone except one player already had 5 red covers. Sure enough, five people (didn't need the cover) broke shield so I was forced to do the same. I won my match but was attacked for 126 points and finished in 8th.

I know everyone is free to play however they choose but with this being off-season, the only benefit those who broke shield received was 1000 ISO after selling their useless red Thoress and Beast rewards.

Some might call me a whiner but is it necessary to screw over the player in 1st, one who needs the cover, for 1000 ISO and a screenshot of their 1st place finish?
    they have an alliance to think about, and hp/iso to grind.

No need to accuse them of 'screwing you over'. The world does not revolve around you.

But I have heard if you ask nicely certain players won't run a train thru you.
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    I feel OPs pain but there isn't much point getting upset over it. Another red thor will come around soon.

If i got angry (i'm prone to getting angry) everytime this game screws with me i'd had broke my phone against a wall by now lol.

cheer up bud, you'll have that cover in no time mate!
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    IlDuderino wrote:
    I will only try for first if I need the 4* cover and have held back before so others can get it - I get about 4,500 iso per day in DP Daily, making 1,000 iso pretty irrelevant whilst a needed 4* cover for someone else is not, and I don't need to boost my self esteem through the "glory" of getting first place in a mobile game

However, you do like a little forum self esteem boosting, eh? icon_lol.gif Post up how much better you are than those that do go after the "glory" in a mobile game.

Sorry, just couldn't resist the irony.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    The rich just get richer, a billionaire doesn't need another million and infact could give it to the needy, but people can be greedy. MPQ is no different, unfortunately.

I wish the devs would revamp the reward structure so everyone has a chance at better prizes, have first place prize be 2500 HP so the winner can buy whatever cover they want, and have 2-5 get the designated 4* while 10-250 get the 3*.
  • IlDuderino wrote:

However, you do like a little forum self esteem boosting, eh? icon_lol.gif Post up how much better you are than those that do go after the "glory" in a mobile game.

Sorry, just couldn't resist the irony.

It's funny how different people can read the same statement so differently. I actually read it as pretty much common sense, with a bit of the kind of basic human decency not normally found within the "digital world..."

"Better than others?" Huh. Interesting.

DBC
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not going to get into the ethical conversation of wrong or right, but if you're on Line, a lot of times players will take a chill if you can get a hold of them and they don't need a cover.