Ultron and Alliances of less than 20

yogi_
yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I missed the first run of Ultron, so the whole thing is still a bit of a mystery even though I get the gist.

Obviously, this is aimed at full alliances but long ago, I made the decision to be in an alliance of 1 member (myself) - there are pros and cons but it works for how I play.

My question is, is this really an event meant for full member alliances? What about players who are not in an alliance? Is my alliance of one going to be woefully outclassed after just a few matches? What about smaller groups of say, 6? Is there any point in joining?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

ps. please don't say "join another alliance" - I understand this reasoning but am unlikely to do so, just for this.

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Downside - you won't finish any of the cover rounds (6,7,8) by yourself.
    Upside - you can farm all those early rounds for event tokens and possibly get better stuff than the cover rounds anyway for a lot less effort (if you have Vision). My alliance was already on round 4 by the time I got a chance to play and now round 5 is getting brutal. I'd love to start over by myself, haven't pulled one event token yet.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends on how far you want to get. An alliance of 1 ain't gonna do **** if the goal is "defeat all 8 rounds."

Upshot is you'd have more opportunities to get the tokens from the essential nodes and vanilla Ultron, but the 8h cooldown after you've cleared all of those means that without alliance mates, you're not going to get super far into the event, so your overall token-earning opportunities will be somewhat limited.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thankyou both for your advice and I hope others in similar situations find this information useful.

I am happy to plod along and just make it as far as I can go.
  • seekie
    seekie Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    another way op, is to join a 19/20 public alliance right before it starts, then start event to tag to their leaderboard. then go back to independent. this will moderate the up and downside said earlier. you may now have say... 5 players compared to solo.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    As solo player, it's possible to hit 800k if you:
    - Get in 5-6 battles against Ultron every refresh cycle.
    - If you only get in 5 battles/refresh you'll need to almost never lose against Ultron.
    - If you can get in 6 battles some refreshes that greatly increases your margin of error, especially if you can get some in Round 3.
    - Get in all 6 battles to start Round 2/3/4 during the same refresh cycle you completed the prior Round.

If your goal is just 400k or 600k the most important thing you can do to help reach that goal is to complete Rounds 1 & 2 as quickly as possible. You want to fight as many of your possible battles against Round 3/4 Ultron where you can get more points for beating him. The quicker you get through Rounds 1/2 the more refresh cycles you have in 3 and 4.

This all assumes you have Vision. If you don't have Vision it's mathematically possible to hit 600k, but very improbable. 400k is possible by hitting every single refresh cycle for 3 battles.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    mouser wrote:
    As solo player, it's possible to hit 800k
    None of that is true. By yourself, you don't have enough time to make it to the later rounds that offer enough points to score that high. One clear per 8 hours won't cut it.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    mouser wrote:
    As solo player, it's possible to hit 800k
    None of that is true. By yourself, you don't have enough time to make it to the later rounds that offer enough points to score that high. One clear per 8 hours won't cut it.

You don't think I would have posted this without doing the math?

ByZ1sLz.jpg

wVFOoBH.jpg

It would be extremely tight to hit 800k if you're only doing 5 battles per refresh. The side nodes have enough points to put you over 800k, but just barely.

Doing 6 battles every refresh cycle can present some timing challenges and thus isn't realistically possible for most players to do it every single refresh cycle. However, you should be able to hit 800k if you can get in 6 battles in a couple of the Round 3 refreshes because that would let you finish Round 3 one refresh cycle earlier. Also it would be a huge leg up if you can get in 6 battles during the 2nd refresh cycle so you can complete Round 1 then and get started on Round 2.