Why do people stock pile tokens

I simply don't get it. are they holding them until a new character comes out to try and 'rush' getting that character Or is there something else to it?
- Unreall

Comments

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    For me it's kind of a ritual - a small thing to look forward to every day. I'll open 8 standards tokens, one event token, and one heroic token every evening. I always have something to open every day, and opening ten at once gives a reasonable chance (feels like about once every three days) of getting a 3-star or better.
  • Puce Moose wrote:
    For me it's kind of a ritual - a small thing to look forward to every day. I'll open 8 standards tokens, one event token, and one heroic token every evening. I always have something to open every day, and opening ten at once gives a reasonable chance (feels like about once every three days) of getting a 3-star or better.

lol, man, that's great - I love how specific it is!
    I always open them as I get them, ain't nobody got time fo' dat
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think of tokens as sports trading card.

When I was a kid, I loved sports card but I hated opening a pack of cards of a bunch of worthless common players, yet I kept buying packs in hopes of that one shiny rare "limited" card. So rather then continuing to buy a pack of sports cards everyday with my lunch money, I saved for a month and bought a wax box that contained over 30-40 packs that almost guaranteed me some limited rare cards.

I use that same aspect with MPQ, I don't want to open a token right away to reveal a 2*, I want to open at least 10 tokens because I should at least get 1 3*.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think of tokens as sports trading card.

When I was a kid, I loved sports card but I hated opening a pack of cards of a bunch of worthless common players, yet I kept buying packs in hopes of that one shiny rare "limited" card. So rather then continuing to buy a pack of sports cards everyday with my lunch money, I saved for a month and bought a wax box that contained over 30-40 packs that almost guaranteed me some limited rare cards.

I use that same aspect with MPQ, I don't want to open a token right away to reveal a 2*, I want to open at least 10 tokens because I should at least get 1 3*.

And the 36 sticks of gum! I still have an unopened wax box of 85 Topps lol.

Well, this week, i needed 0 of the DDQ covers (still finished every day for the tokens and iso) those 10 tokens are now stockpiled for a week i need covers from.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I simply don't get it. are they holding them until a new character comes out to try and 'rush' getting that character Or is there something else to it?
    - Unreall

I'm currently hoarding Heroics because the Devs hinted (or outright said?) in the video they're going to be moving 4* drop rates.

I'm hoarding Tacos because of the possibility they can be used for the Vault, and because I don't currently need any 3* characters except Fist/Vision/Bullseye. So opening them now is a 'waste.'

I'm hoarding Standards because I'm too lazy to open and log them in my tracking sheet.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    - Unreall
    Roster slots. I have no spare ones. Pulling a gold token only to see a character for whom I have no slot is immensely frustrating (last time: yeah, it's icon_wolverine.png ! ... X-Force?! Dammit! *). Hence I tend to hoard my tokens until I have a free slot, then pull a bunch until I fill it, then stop. I'm currently sitting on 25 Heroic tokens, a 10-pack, over 100 standards, and not-sure how many events.

Though Daredevil already called dibs on my next slot, which I should get within the next day or two, so I may hoard all those tokens a while longer.

* Yes, I cursed seeing a 4* pull. I don't chase the damn things because my 3* roster isn't nearly done yet. 4* drop so rarely from tokens that they're not worth the 'dead' roster slots for months on end.
  • Roster slots is a good reason. Also some of us have basically every 3* at 13 covers already so we save tokens until they add something we want, like maybe Carnage or maybe Bullseye (hah yea right) and then open a huge pile of tokens looking for the new shiny.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ultron event will help that, 25hp awards so often just off doing the event, and chances at thousands from the gold tokens.
  • Well I feel better, I didn't know if there was some numerical reasons that I was just ignorant too or some reason I'm an idiot for popping several times a day. I typically store up till I'm done with my 'shift', and then sell off (unless like right now I'm leveling someone that I'm using for an event, in which case I go full sale ASAP)
    - Unreall
  • As others have said, there's really no incentive for me currently to open them.
    I'm sitting on...
    875 standards
    13 heroic
    1 10-pack
    80 tacos in one batch
    20 tacos in another (the new characters keep getting added to this group)
    13 assorted Lightning tokens (1 old LR token, 3 heroic, 9 villain themed)
    At least 1 of each event token for the last few months. A quick count gives me...tokens from 66 separate events. I'd love it if they reran some of the 4* pvps and finally added one for XForce and Devil Dino (Dance, Dance, Evolution).

I have fully covered XF, Goddess, Fury, HB, IW, Elektra. Need covers for KP, ProfX, Starlord, Carnage (still not in tokens) on the 4* level. Need covers for Vision, Bullseye and maybe SW to respec on the 3* level. Everyone else is fully covered on the build I want. I'm sitting on 1.25 million ISO after maxing Scarlet Witch today, so it's not like I need the iso from selling off unneeded covers either.

So there are very few 3* covers I actively need, and some of those may either get pve/pvp or a deadpool appearance in the near future. Means it's better for me to keep stockpiling tokens until the odds are better for me and there's enough reasons to open them.
  • For a while I'd stockpile them because I hated not seeing gold cover again, and again and again. At least usually when opening 100 standard tokens I'd see a couple...of course it was even worse when I did open a 100+ and not one token would drop...then I'd rethink my priorities in life. lol

Of course Taco Tokens are a different matter, now that I have a lot of characters with full or near-full covers, I save them for weeks when there are a couple of high demand characters on my list.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do it because it's fun. I get a kick out of opening a whole bunch at a time, so I've been saving the entire seasons' worth for the past few months. In fact, I just opened the latest haul and will be posting that here in a moment. icon_cool.gif

On the practical side, I am also one of those people who don't need much more besides 4* pulls and a handful of covers for any given 3*. If a good new character is released, I then have a better shot at pulling that person's covers from the gold tokens once they get added in. I generally save my tacos as well, for reasons that should be obvious.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Rather than take a sip of beer every day, I prefer to resist the urge in anticipation for the monthly end of season binge party. The more I hoard, the bigger the party... and also the hang over disappointment
  • For a long time it was because of roster slots and not having the HP to roster a new character. Now it's more laziness, and the fact that it's easier to track if you open a bunch at once.

DDQ is an exception, where I'm actively looking for specific characters.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    - Unreall

I'm currently hoarding Heroics because the Devs hinted (or outright said?) in the video they're going to be moving 4* drop rates.

I'm hoarding Tacos because of the possibility they can be used for the Vault, and because I don't currently need any 3* characters except Fist/Vision/Bullseye. So opening them now is a 'waste.'

I'm hoarding Standards because I'm too lazy to open and log them in my tracking sheet.

Ah GrumpSmurf, another player who I often find myself having a very similar experience to.

Originally I didn't understand hoarding either. But now that I have almost every 3* covered, it makes very little sense not to hoard. I only just started hoarding heroics since they may have a higher drop rate, I've always hoarded Tacos for the best draw chances. Certainly it helps to get your new characters covered more quickly.

However, Standards I open. Come on Grumpy - easier to click "open" on that standard and "sell" to get your 100 iso than it is to grind a PVE node five times for 20 iso each icon_lol.gif
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Wish that when you hoard 10 it became a 10pack with better odds. Woot woot.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    i personally hoard tokens so I can concentrate all my disappointment into one grand token redeeming session every month or so.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

However, Standards I open. Come on Grumpy - easier to click "open" on that standard and "sell" to get your 100 iso than it is to grind a PVE node five times for 20 iso each icon_lol.gif

I'm not doing either right now, so there's that.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Several Reasons

1. Perception that you have a better shot at getting a gold cause you open them in a batch instead of spread out.
    2. Cause you don't have the roster slot available should you pull a new character. Covers expire after 2(?) weeks, tokens never expire.
    3. Cause you already HAVE all the current cover and you would essentially be opening them for their ISO equivalent. Best here to just wait for a new character to be added to the mix before opening them.
    4. Laziness. Much like my unread emails. The number of unread doesn't even affect me anymore, much like the number of unopened tokens.

Added recently:
    5. The promise that the pull rates for a 4* are going to increase