Heads Up / Head to Head PvP

mjh
mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Has anybody thought of a human player vs. human player game mode? Sure their servers can barely handle Ultron but if that wasn't the case. A game mode where AI is not a factor and it's a real heads-up match could bring a whole new dynamic to this game.

Defense actually becomes a factor, matches become much more skill based.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Theoretically, I think it could be fun. In practice, I think there would be a lot of sore losers if and when the game turned into an evident loss. I'm thinking about someone simply not doing a move when it is clear they are about to lose. It would force the likely winner to either sit through and wait (and potentially be attacked while unshielded) or quit and take the loss.

Madden, for instance, had to institute a penalty for anyone that delayed the game when they were losing to try and get the other person to quit. Maybe a count down timer for a move like 30 seconds? And even then that's a long match if someone wanted to be a jerk towards the end.

I dunno, I think it could be fun to have a different game mode that is in real time. I think the trolls though would make it more bad than good.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    orbitalint wrote:
    Theoretically, I think it could be fun. In practice, I think there would be a lot of sore losers if and when the game turned into an evident loss. I'm thinking about someone simply not doing a move when it is clear they are about to lose. It would force the likely winner to either sit through and wait (and potentially be attacked while unshielded) or quit and take the loss.

Madden, for instance, had to institute a penalty for anyone that delayed the game when they were losing to try and get the other person to quit. Maybe a count down timer for a move like 30 seconds? And even then that's a long match if someone wanted to be a jerk towards the end.

I dunno, I think it could be fun to have a different game mode that is in real time. I think the trolls though would make it more bad than good.
    Great points. Here's a simple fix, don't have it count towards season score. Have it be another game mode outside of Season. That way if people troll it, it doesn't really matter.

Oh, and definitely have a countdown timer that auto-forfeits.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:

Great points. Here's a simple fix, don't have it count towards season score. Have it be another game mode outside of Season. That way if people troll it, it doesn't really matter.

Oh, and definitely have a countdown timer that auto-forfeits.

It needs to be a completely different mode, with no attack or defense, you just enter in a different screen where the game searches for someone to play against (like in other games). Then maybe for rewards there could be a classification based on your number of victories, and some progression rewards for each X victories. And of course, if you loose here your team is immediately revived, no use of health packs in this mode (because people would loose a LOT more than against AI).

You just need to copy what other games like Heartstone or Magic do. But of course you need a better infrastructure for that...