Delete this - Rob Liefield is unworthy

2»

Comments

• Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    MikeG72 wrote:
    Also, Square, when you tell us that we're just "parroting borrowed opinions", you are basically saying that we have no insight into what is good art and what is bad art. To just baldly say, "No, he's a good artist" and ignore everything that has been pointed out. Who are you to be able to say that to us? That's very condescending and dismissive, to say the least.
    I didn't say he is a "good artist." I think the phrase I used was "C-list artist." It really is parroting opinions when people say his proportion is unrealistic, then when I post Bill Sienkiewicz, he's given a pass as having a style, while Liefeld, who has been drawing in a consistently exaggerated way for 25 years is said to be simply a bad artist. No, it's his style. Swiping 25 years ago as a complaint? Show an example from the last 15 years. Too many pouches? Yeah, that's silly, but you may as well complain that McFarlane draws big capes. It's a stylistic choice.

I haven't ignored anything pointed out, I've actually pointed out how they apply to a lot of artists, but it all seems to fall upon Liefeld's shoulders, since he's the go to punchline of the mainstream comics community. There are problems with his art, but not any moreso than many other mainstream professionals. The excessive complaints (see page one of this thread) show more a problem with fanboys and their "parroting borrowed opinions" than it does with Liefeld. From the work I've seen of his in the last five years, I'm quite comfortable calling Liefeld 'competent.' Not terrible, but a competent, working professional, who makes art that appeals to young dudes.

If anyone has actual grudges with Liefeld's art that sets him apart from the rest of the comics community, I'd love to hear it, but so far, every complaint just seems to be rooted in punishing a guy who got successful way too young, and is, in his 40s or 50s, carrying a lot of baggage that happened in the early 90s. Call it dismissive, but since the stuff said here is **** old hat, it is parroting. Not a word of it is illuminating.

Personally, I think Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane are way more deserving of fan hatred than Liefeld, but that's an unpopular opinion to share on another day.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I am a 40-ish spanish comic book fan; it was not teasy to get Marvel collections when I was a kid, and I caught mostly Kirby, Ditko and the Buscema brothers; later I loved Byrne, Miller, Davis and Simonson. Must say I havent read much during the last say 10 years.

I never nearly understood the "image bunch" hype (Lee, Mcfarlane and the such); I always felt there was few love in their work, and they were trying to just feed the machine. (of course there was exceptions, maybe Larson and Keith).
    IMO Liefeld was a very poor and lazy drawer.

I know collecting foil-plastic vacuum comics had something to do with it, but that never reached Spain.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wolarsen wrote:
    I am a 40-ish spanish comic book fan; it was not teasy to get Marvel collections when I was a kid, and I caught mostly Kirby, Ditko and the Buscema brothers; later I loved Byrne, Miller, Davis and Simonson. Must say I havent read much during the last say 10 years.

I never nearly understood the "image bunch" hype (Lee, Mcfarlane and the such); I always felt there was few love in their work, and they were trying to just feed the machine. (of course there was exceptions, maybe Larson and Keith).
    IMO Liefeld was a very poor and lazy drawer.

I know collecting foil-plastic vacuum comics had something to do with it, but that never reached Spain.

If you mean you don't understand the need to buy that stuff and why it was so popular, in the 90s there was a speculator boom.
    Some people got rich from selling their Batman #1s or Superman #1s etc, rare comics that at the time no-one really saw as being huge cult phenomena. So suddenly EVERYONE was making their own "Historic first issues!" and made them shiny because that's what nerds with too much money like, shiny stuff. Or they'd have collectable trading cards or something. Everyone was buying these things for a dollar because they "knew" that in the future these amazing characters would be well loved classics and their issue 1 of this comic would be worth $100,000,000 at least!

Except as with anything that's mass produced, and especially since *everyone* was collecting the first issues (and a lot of these comics just weren't very good) the speculator bubble just burst by the 2000s so people had all these comics that were worth maybe 50c. You can't always predict what will be worth a lot in the future, since often it's something already kinda rare and hard to find.

Like no-one would have expected the Virtua Boy would be worth a lot of money to collectors now, nor would you expect Samba De Amigo with the marracas to be rare and super desirable. Meanwhile people buy limited edition or collectors edition games and keep them sealed because "one day", ya know? If your product isn't stamped with something saying "number 824 of 1000" or something, it's likely not that collectable.
  • If you're swiping ten years into a career, then it's a problem. I don't read Liefeld's stuff whatsoever now, but I highly doubt he was swiping by the time he moved to Image.
    Then you would be wrong...

Let's start with his most horrifically blatant swipe possibly in his career....Deathstroke #0 from just 2012.

liefeld-600x745.jpg
    liefeld-2-600x369.jpg
    liefeld-3-600x610.jpg

That was only a small sample of how badly he swiped Wolfman/Perez's original origin story for Deathstroke in Teen Titans...there was much much more. DC really should have just sent them the check for how much of their story/art he copied scene for scene for that issue.

He also swiped from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Falls during his Hawk and Dove Run (also in 2012). When caught he tweeted that it was intentional. Uh-huh.

And as far as his time at Image (and spin-off company Awesome)? First the swipe he did for Youngblood of Guy Gardner in an JLI issue has already been posted. He also resorted to starting swiping scenes directly from mangas such as this one:
    03-comp2.jpg

He swiped multiple covers including a couple X-Force for Bloodstrike among others like this:
    thingyoungblood.jpg
    newmuties-youngblood.jpg
    And least that last one he just swiped himself...so it's more lazy than anything.

He also created a character for for Image called Smash who looked EXACTLY like the Hulk.
    smash1b300px.jpg
    Seriously...this is supposed to be Smash, and not the Hulk that was just colored purple. At least when he copied Lobo to create Bloodwulf for Image they looked at least slightly different (Different hair and a couple different lines on the face...personality/story wise they were identical). Oh and when he left Image to found Awesome he swiped a Bubblegum Crisis cover....and ripped off Captain America with his original creation Agent America.
    ara_00.jpg
    Captain_America_13.jpg?4dbf7b

And this is not a character created by a magazine called Heavy Metal...it is a totally different guy that Liefeld created to star in his new series because Liefeld gave him an eyepatch (and the typical Liefeld anatomy treatment). *image is to big to post so linking*
    h--ps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c0/17/52/c017520558a018a158c2df0b9556b29f.jpg

A leopard does not change his spots...
  • ibar726 wrote:
    If you're swiping ten years into a career, then it's a problem. I don't read Liefeld's stuff whatsoever now, but I highly doubt he was swiping by the time he moved to Image.
    He also created a character for for Image called Smash who looked EXACTLY like the Hulk.
    smash1b300px.jpg
    Seriously...this is supposed to be Smash, and not the Hulk that was just colored purple. At least when he copied Lobo to create Bloodwulf for Image they looked at least

AHAHAHAHHAHA

of all the things to do..."let me create a hulk clone called....smash!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • HAHAHAHAHH tumblr_npqk33hlhi1s0569vo1_540.jpg
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHH tumblr_npqk33hlhi1s0569vo1_540.jpg

**** is that even supposed to be?

Wolvertroll?

Bilborine?