Top 100 PVP getting more and more difficult

Right. So I am of the proud (and kawaiiiiii) Thunderkittens Alliance. We're always top 50/100 for PVP, churning out about 16k-18k as an alliance total for every PVP.

Unfortunately we did not make top 100 for the Carnage PVP. We placed 106th with 16.5k alliance points.

Most likely because of lotsa other players in other (less kawaiiiiiii) alliances scored 1000 points individually for the Red Carnage progression cover. Which is cool, no h8, m8, I r8 8/8.
But I think this is gonna be a trend: much higher scorers due to the increased health-pack quantity, among other factors (too lazy to list)
Once again, no h8 m8, etc. I love that the packs were increased, being a late rusher in PVP (I generally start in the last 4 hours)

That said, I hope something can be done about this. I enjoy being lazy (and kawaiiiiii) while being able to hit top 100 PVP.

As the famous Yoda once said: "Take it easy, you must. For very real is the burnout."

P.S. We're recruiting, you can check out the thread here: https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?style=1&f=16&t=22419

P.P.S: Random kitten picture to placate all you h8ers out there.

29d12451-34f9-4fe0-b1a9-a015810de7b1.gif

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay so your post made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. icon_e_wink.gif

That out of the way, indeed placement both individually and alliance has become rather rough. I think we were only a couple spots below you guys and we also felt the burn despite our efforts. I still don't want to go back to the old scoring, though.
  • Deadsider
    Deadsider Posts: 81 Match Maker
    edited June 2015
    Please keep replies topical and constructive. Insults and personal attacks are not allowed.
  • Deadsider wrote:
    OP sounds what, 12? I wish we could age gate the internet.

And I wish people who apparently have nothing relevant/positive/funny to add would decide not to post.

On topic: yeah, scores have gone way up with first the increase in points won and then the 10 healthpacks. I don't really see what can be done about this other then reversing said changes, which would be bad since in my opinion those were two very positive changes alltogether. If your alliance wants to remain in the top100, you will have to adapt!
  • I wouldn't say harder as much as I would say longer, or more involved. 1,000 is becoming pretty commonplace, with my score of exactly 1,000 putting me at only 60th place in Carnage. That's huge compared to the top 10 it use to be (typcially). So now to get top 10 is to push way way beyond 1,000 points. Which involves more play time.

Nothing is really that much HARDER than it was, it just takes more time.
  • El Satanno
    Lerysh wrote:
    I wouldn't say harder as much as I would say longer, or more involved. 1,000 is becoming pretty commonplace, with my score of exactly 1,000 putting me at only 60th place in Carnage. That's huge compared to the top 10 it use to be (typcially). So now to get top 10 is to push way way beyond 1,000 points. Which involves more play time.

I'm going to argue with you on this point. Maybe it has more to do with the strength of my roster than the changes, but even after switching my playstyle to a focused PvP approach, I am spending dramatically less time in any given event. Prior to this, my general run was:
    • Push up to 600-700
    • Return later to push to 800-900
    • Shield
    • Hop a couple matches
    • Shield
    • Hop (and pray) to 1000
    • Shield out
    Sometimes I could get away with two shields, and my pushes to 1000 ended in tears of frustration more often than tears of joy. We're also talking about babysitting shield cooldowns at least once and often more. I would take a liberal guess that to hit top progress, at least, involved at least 3 hours of staggered play time and more besides to watch those timers and search for targets.

Nowadays my runs are so much nicer. It's often been a straight run all the way to 1000 and then a single shield. A couple times I've had to hop, but thanks to matches between 50 and 75 points a pop, getting those last 100 or 200 points have been a breeze. I've only failed to hit top progression once or twice and those instances have been largely due to real-life factors rather than running out of characters, health packs or time. Even the bigger hits on defense haven't had as much detrimental effect thanks to the bigger wins. Any given event has taken maybe two hours and almost zero fiddling about worrying about shields.
  • nic13
    nic13 Posts: 87
    My guess is previously you'd play x number of matches for y amount of time to get to 1k.

Now you'd play less matches for less time to get 1k, but still need the same amount of time/ matches to get placement.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    nic13 wrote:
    My guess is previously you'd play x number of matches for y amount of time to get to 1k.

Now you'd play less matches for less time to get 1k, but still need the same amount of time/ matches to get placement.

You don't really need the same amount of time to place well - but you do need more shields. I never ended 1K before this season, and ended 1K in almost all of these events. To do that often required that I push 8+ hours before the end of the event, and put up an eight hour shield - something I had only used twice before this season.

Previously it was possible to push at the very end and not shield - I don't think that's a viable option now to place well. It seems there are more snipers out at the end of the events than ever, and just like it is easy to get points it is easy to lose them.

Here is an example that a couple of alliance mates saw last event. One pushes to 1K about 12 hours before event ends and doesn't shield, finds themselves down -250 in half an hour. One pushes near 1K in the final hour of the event, and finds himself down -250 during one match.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    its not the health packs it the scoring. simple as that
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

It is both.. i can get higher than normal (still never hit 1k, but i am trying)

But being able to get more points and do more matches in a sitting has definitely taken me from the 600 per event if i'm lucky to the 800+ mark.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

It is both.. i can get higher than normal (still never hit 1k, but i am trying)

But being able to get more points and do more matches in a sitting has definitely taken me from the 600 per event if i'm lucky to the 800+ mark.
    I think its both too. go to your hovering level. let things recharge, then push to where you think you need to shield. before if a match went a little sideways, sometimes you shielded because you ran out of health packs before you felt exposed, now you shield because only because you start feeling exposed, but I always have health packs left (but sometimes its less than 5, so they help).
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Lerysh wrote:
    I wouldn't say harder as much as I would say longer, or more involved. 1,000 is becoming pretty commonplace, with my score of exactly 1,000 putting me at only 60th place in Carnage. That's huge compared to the top 10 it use to be (typcially). So now to get top 10 is to push way way beyond 1,000 points. Which involves more play time.
    A lot of people shield once they hit 1,000 points. You can rank much higher if you just do a couple more matches. I just finished my climb in Magnetic Mayhem and after the matched that pushed past 1,000 I was ranked at about 50. I did two more matches and was ranked 11th with under 1,100 points. There seems to be a large number of players clustered together at just over 1,000 points so if you're willing to push past that a bit you will rank much better.
  • El Satanno wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

I'm going to argue with you on this point. Maybe it has more to do with the strength of my roster than the changes, but even after switching my playstyle to a focused PvP approach, I am spending dramatically less time in any given event. Prior to this, my general run was:
    • Push up to 600-700
    • Shield
    • Hop a couple matches
    • Shield
    • Hop (and pray) to 1000
    • Shield out
    Sometimes I could get away with two shields, and my pushes to 1000 ended in tears of frustration more often than tears of joy. We're also talking about babysitting shield cooldowns at least once and often more. I would take a liberal guess that to hit top progress, at least, involved at least 3 hours of staggered play time and more besides to watch those timers and search for targets.

Nowadays my runs are so much nicer. It's often been a straight run all the way to 1000 and then a single shield. A couple times I've had to hop, but thanks to matches between 50 and 75 points a pop, getting those last 100 or 200 points have been a breeze. I've only failed to hit top progression once or twice and those instances have been largely due to real-life factors rather than running out of characters, health packs or time. Even the bigger hits on defense haven't had as much detrimental effect thanks to the bigger wins. Any given event has taken maybe two hours and almost zero fiddling about worrying about shields.

Yea this is totally true. See where I said "1,000 is becoming more commonplace". Getting 1,000 is easy, getting top 25 is harder now (or at least, much higher scores than they were), which is what this thread is about.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm on the fence about it. I absolutely agree placing is getting harder. Still, progression is easier, up to a point. Just once I start hitting that 700+ point, I lose just as many points while doing a match from incoming attacks than I get from a win. Very frustrating.

So, I haven't been able to hit that 1000 mark. If I could manage that, that would be victory enough, and I wouldn't care about placing.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    I'm on the fence about it. I absolutely agree placing is getting harder. Still, progression is easier, up to a point. Just once I start hitting that 700+ point, I lose just as many points while doing a match from incoming attacks than I get from a win. Very frustrating.

So, I haven't been able to hit that 1000 mark. If I could manage that, that would be victory enough, and I wouldn't care about placing.
    my limited experience - my goal is to push to 800+ from my hovering point, usually mid-500s. if i can get to ~850 and immediately shield, queues usually don't update super fast unless you break a shield, so those people who i was in their queue when i started my push at 550 still saw points for me for my 550 score and didn't know i was making my push. the lag is enough to make a push to about that spot (my experience). i try to do that about 18 hours out. from there i usually go to bed with an 8 hr shield and then go 3/8/3 the next day until event end playing 1 match each hop unless its in the wee hours of the morning, then i do 2-3, depending on what my scores are and how good the opponents are. its worked for me 3 times, but costs ~450 in shields, 150 i usually get back from progressions and placement, so net spend is 300hp for the 4* cover, which i'll take every day of the week (as long as my pile lasts anyway - can do this about more times).
  • This is a problem for me as well. I've essentially stopped playing PVP these past several seasons. I refuse to shield hop. I previously was able to be able to place decently in just 1 or 2 sittings, but now it's virtually impossible to place if you don't want to shield. There's simply no way to make back the points you lose fast enough.

It's gotten to the point where the amount of effort that used to get me top 10 in PvP means that I don't even place for a single cover. Yes, getting the progression reward is nice, but in practice, not very friendly. At a certain point in the 800 range, you're forced to start shielding, or get hammered for -200 points or more a pop. This was the case before, but it's much worse now given the scores you need to place. So this change may be good for shield-hoppers, but for people who don't enjoy spending hours without any reasonable guarantee that the effort will pay off, it's not such a good change.

This is a problem for me, because I have digital balance I was going to spend on this game after the roster slot cost change, but given that I've only been playing PvE lately, which is kind of hit or miss if you don't want to grind the entire event, I'm not sure whether or not I'll be spending it on MPQ. I would've much rather had them reduce the point requirements on progression rewards. I may just hold onto it for spending on standalone apps / music instead. We'll see.

What I enjoy about this game:
    +collecting characters and leveling them up
    +match-3
    +sense of accomplishment earning covers
    +token pulls, when they're actually in my favor and for characters I need (which seems pretty infrequent in relation to the lengthy dry spells I get)

What I don't like:
    -having to compete for covers vs. just playing on your own time
    -stingy placement tiering
    -stingy progression rewards
    -tight timing restrictions (most notably on Gauntlet)
    -super-scaling
    -shield-hopping
    -cascade roulette
    -dry boards
    -event triggers
    -bad token luck
    -defensive losses
    -no points for defensive wins
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    vudu3 wrote:
    A lot of people shield once they hit 1,000 points. You can rank much higher if you just do a couple more matches. I just finished my climb in Magnetic Mayhem and after the matched that pushed past 1,000 I was ranked at about 50. I did two more matches and was ranked 11th with under 1,100 points. There seems to be a large number of players clustered together at just over 1,000 points so if you're willing to push past that a bit you will rank much better.

The problem with pushing pass 1,000 points is that if you get sniped, you could lose 200+ in the blink of an eye.

• <snip>

What I enjoy about this game:
    +collecting characters and leveling them up
    +match-3
    +sense of accomplishment earning covers
    +token pulls, when they're actually in my favor and for characters I need (which seems pretty infrequent in relation to the lengthy dry spells I get)

What I don't like:
    -having to compete for covers vs. just playing on your own time
    -stingy placement tiering
    -stingy progression rewards
    -tight timing restrictions (most notably on Gauntlet)
    -super-scaling
    -shield-hopping
    -cascade roulette
    -dry boards
    -event triggers
    -bad token luck
    -defensive losses
    -no points for defensive wins

This is essentially the list of reasons I stuck with MPQ as long as I did, followed by the reasons I'm slowly leaving in favor of other games.

The only things I'd add to the cons list are the health situation and the ridiculous notion that having a PvP point total shown and receiving a different point total upon completion of a <3 minute fight is in any way able to be considered "normal." Play ANY other PvP game (Marvel Future Fight to name just one) and tell someone with a straight face that that is either normal or acceptable behavior... Oh wait, don't, because it isn't. Period.

DBC
  • El Satanno
    Quote hidden for brevity*
    Lerysh wrote:
    El Satanno wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

• Push up to 600-700
    • Shield
    • Hop a couple matches
    • Shield
    • Hop (and pray) to 1000
    • Shield out

Lerysh wrote:
    Yea this is totally true. See where I said "1,000 is becoming more commonplace". Getting 1,000 is easy, getting top 25 is harder now (or at least, much higher scores than they were), which is what this thread is about.

I think we're talking in parallel now. Scores are unquestionably much higher than in seasons past. What I had intended to say was that it doesn't really take any more time than before, or even less. I guess I went a bit off-topic. Mea culpa.

In defense, this season my placements have been just as subject to the relative competitiveness of the others in bracket as they ever were. At an average of right around 1k, I've placed as low as 28 and as high as 3. Make of that what you will, I suppose.
  • Ergh...

As of Magneto PVP, We've ranked 91st with 16.4k alliance points.. I definitely don't like where this route is taking us.