Cascade damage

Warbringa
Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Can anyone explain how cascade damage is calculated? For example if I match 3 and then get a second cascade match 3 I know it does less damage the cascade match but by how much? I have found the formula seems to vary when I have tried to calculate it. An old post said cascade damage only deals 75% of your initial damage but that seemed too low as I was doing somewhere around 85-92% of the full damage for my first cascade match 3 when I calculated it.

A second question that is related to the first, do strike tiles add in their value and then are reduced by the cascade modifier?

Comments

• The first match in a cascade will deal full damage, and each subsequent match will suffer a cumulative -25% damage penalty, such that...

1st match: 100% damage
    2nd match: 75% damage
    3rd match: 56% damage
    Nth match: 0.75^(N-1) damage

If you see anything different, try to make sure there are no confounding factors first, then post some screenshots or a video here and see if someone can figure it out.

Critical tiles assume the color they are matching, even if multiple colors are possible. A double match created by moving a critical tile should count the highest damage match as the 1st in a cascade, and the other one as the 2nd. Presumably the same rule should apply for triple or quadrupule simultaneous matches with a critical tile.

The cascade penalty appears to be additive with critical multipliers (i.e. 3x critical on 2nd match turns into 2.75x). I only checked this up to the 2nd match, but it does seem like the most reasonable way for critical multipliers to interact with cascades.

Strike tiles are unaffected by the cascade penalty and will always apply their full damage.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok thanks for the explanation. I probably had some strike tiles in there that I calculated as being reduced as well instead just assuming they did their full damage and were not reduced.