Poll - new tournament type suggestion

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
A lot of the time I feel that to progress in this game you need to have a steamroller. It's all about having the best roster, and winning quickly with an overpowering team. Maxed Prof X / IMHB / Featured springs to mind. It doesn't seem to be about fun and choosing off-the-wall teams to try out. In fact that kind of behaviour is punished by loss of points and dead characters.

Skill doesn't really seem to come in to it much either. Granted it's a match-3 game with an unknown degree of randomness and a dodgy AI. Yet it seems that skill is overshadowed / bludgeoned into submission by strength.

So, I have the beginnings of an idea for a new PVP tournament type.

Everyone has a pool of every 3* to call on, and they are maxed. Not only that, there are 6 of each, the 3 x 553 and 3 x 544 variants. You can choose anyone. But only once. Once you've fought a match with a set of 3 characters, all 3 are unavailable regardless of whether or not you won, until everyone's been used, at which time it refreshes. Perhaps you can use 6 versions of each, perhaps not.

No 4*, no 2* or 1*, just 3*, and it doesn't matter at what stage your particular roster is.

You get to choose your team based on who your opposition, that's one element of skill.
You get to play with D-list characters, making the best of them is another element of skill.

Rewards? No idea. How you see what you're playing against when it's not part of your opponent's real roster. No idea there either.

I think it's got potential, maybe a 4* or even 1* variant would be even more fun. Forced to use Yelena? Maybe 6 times? What's not to like.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Meh.... sounds like an awful lot of work just to enforce using B and C listers. Why shouldn't I be allowed to use my Thor I worked hard to get and level? Or any of my 4*s? Isn't part of "skill" knowing who to keep and level and who sits on your roster at level 70 forever (Star Lord). BoP and Combined Arms are bad enough, now you want Draft Kings? Plus how would your defensive team go? Last team you played might have been C listers now you are being picked off because your defense is weak.

It might make for an interesting PvE where you can only use characters once per 8 hour period, and where the stakes are much much lower (no 4* progress reward).
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Meh.... sounds like an awful lot of work just to enforce using B and C listers. Why shouldn't I be allowed to use my Thor I worked hard to get and level? Or any of my 4*s? Isn't part of "skill" knowing who to keep and level and who sits on your roster at level 70 forever (Star Lord). BoP and Combined Arms are bad enough, now you want Draft Kings? Plus how would your defensive team go? Last team you played might have been C listers now you are being picked off because your defense is weak.

It might make for an interesting PvE where you can only use characters once per 8 hour period, and where the stakes are much much lower (no 4* progress reward).

I was doing great in Thunderbolts Mountain, then suddenly I wiped out. Checking back here I see negative waves. Coincidence? I think not. (Apologies for mixing my film references a little.)
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm for it. Partly because it sounds fun to have a reason to use guys like Ock or Rags who a sane person would only turn their nose up at. The other part because it would be something different, and holy **** do I crave something different!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I gave it an 8 because first and foremost the game is in pretty bad need for new content so anything new would be cool *yes, that desperate lol*

I deducted 2 points: 1 point for it being competitive (i am assuming this to be the case since you wrote tournament but didn't explicitly go into the mechanics of the tournament), 1 point for not having a clear vision for rewards structure.

What I do like about your idea is that it puts everyone on an equal footing (i know this favors n00bs more than it favors vets but it would be cool to really see how "skillful" one is) and it allows players a chance to get a real taste for each character. I also assume the automatic unavailability after use is to prevent our "true healer" friends from dominating the tournament. I will give more thought to it and see if I can't cook up some of my own tournament style ideas.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had put close to this same thing up a while back https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26620

so, i am all on board.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not sure about pvp, but sounds like a great pve concept (better than heroics for sure) - gauntlet type or simulator type. pve would take the pressure off more and allow you to tinker. it seems like it would be pretty complicated for pvp adding in retals/shields/hopping/etc.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    so mostly this is like a sealed MTG game where you given all of the cards and you just hae to make up your teams.

if it was stand alone i go okay if it replaced PVE i say no
  • I just think it would be easier (programming wise) and simpler (user wise) to implement a draft style of gameplay:

You get X amount of tokens to open. Let's arbitrarily pick 3 10 packs. (Let's say, like Hearthstone, you don't keep the cards/covers you open)

The covers comprise the roster you're allowed to use for the duration of the event. You're likely to get a good number of 2*s with decent covering but maybe you lucked out and drew a red IMHB or a black XF. You can decide if you want to field a single ability level 70 or a more rounded 2*. This may be the level of skill or strategy you're looking for.

Instead of leveling these characters, they can all be boosted to max level based on covers, or all to a standardized level so we don't have to factor in ISO used for leveling these temporary rosters. Or you can be awarded a small set of ISO to level a team as you see fit.

Unfortunately, using the current packs, the odds will be terrible of opening anything cohesive. Maybe the drafts and packs are themed with reduced character pools or increased odds of certain characters.

This would likely have an entry cost but if you don't get to keep the covers you open, they could keep it lower. Maybe 100-200HP like those out-dated premium tournaments they stopped having? Reward structure could even follow the standard system for current tournaments. Placement/Progression could also offer these packs of tokens with reduced pools/increased odds.

My biggest problem with your suggestion is just the sheer volume of available combinations. Using the current interface, it would be a pain to sort or find the actual character you wanted to use. I would be too cumbersome and way too much information for a less experienced player to digest or use effectively. But A+ for brainstorming something new and different.