Idea: Split PVP in half

mjh
mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
We're at a point in this game now that with (How many total 3*s are there now? I will update this post with the number) insert_number_of 3*s, it takes months for any character to rotate back around unless that character is icon_beast.png

Here is an idea that keeps the same flow of events while allowing players to get rewards they are waiting for.

I'll take the current icon_magneto.png reward as an example. Instead of only icon_magneto.png rewards they offer a choice of icon_magneto.png or icon_quicksilver.png . Upon event completion you choose which of the cover reward set you want.

Next event would be a choice between icon_magneto.png Magnetic Mayhem or icon_quicksilver.png Blue Shift, you can only choose 1, and those 2 PVPs would also have their own choice of rewards, whatever they may be, so on and so forth.

This keeps the same dynamic of 3 PVPs a week but lets players get rewards they prefer much sooner. When's the last time you saw icon_ironfist.png rewards? (the answer is March)

The only downside (possibly upside) is you further dilute the brackets. But with the amount of hitting / sniping and big point losses right now it may be a good thing. It will probably have the added side affect of making it harder to reach 1000pts which would make everyone feel like it's not so easy. Players get a challenge, devs feel like they have made a competitive game.

Discuss.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Basically a choose your own adventure PVP roadmap.. who ends up where! What about new char release PVPs? How to choose who to begin the season with to get your choice of covers, what happens if you do not get t100 and have no 3* cover to choose from?

great idea, needs some work.
  • mjh
    Malcrof wrote:
    Basically a choose your own adventure PVP roadmap.. who ends up where! What about new char release PVPs? How to choose who to begin the season with to get your choice of covers, what happens if you do not get t100 and have no 3* cover to choose from?

Great points. It's not the perfect solution, it's a rough idea of how to avoid waiting 3+ months for rewards.

If you don't get t100 then it's no different than now if you don't get t100. I don't see your point in that one.

How about for new character releases they don't offer 2 PVPs, just the one but that one will have 2 reward choices, and continue on.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Time slices have fragmented the player base quite a bit already. I don't think the population is large enough to split it any further.

It's a decent idea though, just not sure how practical it is.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    mjh wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Great points. It's not the perfect solution, it's a rough idea of how to avoid waiting 3+ months for rewards.

If you don't get t100 then it's no different than now if you don't get t100. I don't see your point in that one.

How about for new character releases they don't offer 2 PVPs, just the one but that one will have 2 reward choices, and continue on.

He thinks that you are forced into the PvP based on which cover you chose in this idea.

The idea is not to force you into the PvP based on the cover you chose, from what I read. Therefore there is no issue if you don't participate in the PvP or don't get a 3* cover in the PvP.

That also should answer the other concerns, such as how to start the season off.

As to new character launches... well, it gives the whales somewhere to play with their new toys while the rest of us don't need to see that PvP for a few months to build up some covers.
  • mjh
    Buret0 wrote:
    The idea is not to force you into the PvP based on the cover you chose, from what I read. Therefore there is no issue if you don't participate in the PvP or don't get a 3* cover in the PvP.

Exactly. In the example I illustrated, if you chose icon_magneto.png rewards you could choose to play icon_quicksilver.png Blue Shift if you wanted.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love this idea! Let us choose the path. This would be really interesting. However another downside would be players complaining that they chose the "wrong path." They need a Blade cover but their path took them to choose between Mohawk or Daredevil icon_lol.gif
  • mjh
    Another idea, why even have 2 PVP choices?

Just have the same current set of PVPs they planned to have but each one offers a choice of rewards instead of just the one. There, simple.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    mjh wrote:
    Another idea, why even have 2 PVP choices?

Just have the same current set of PVPs they planned to have but each one offers a choice of rewards instead of just the one. There, simple.

Two different events is better. You get to your favorite character's event quicker and it means that you aren't at a huge disadvantage based on being stuck with a loaner.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Why not have two PVPs with different featureds and different prizes but share an opponent pool? (Note: I suggested this a few months ago)
  • mjh
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Why not have two PVPs with different featureds and different prizes but share an opponent pool? (Note: I suggested this a few months ago)
    That sounds like a cross between PVP and Simulator. I like it icon_cool.gif
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    You could even riff on it by running Hero/Villain ones side by side (if we had more villains) or Xmen/FF, men/women, gods/mortals, etc.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    how about you can choose to forgo normal rewards to charge a feature meter, once you get a certain amount of charge you can redeem it for one the featured heroes for the event in the color of your choice, 4 * would required more charge then a 3*, and 2 * less then a 3* reward, ect. it could have the charge amount tied to the amount of points won, to avoid over grinding 1 point easy matches( 100 charges + point value of node). it helps younger roster focus build 1* and 2* characters, 3* players get a color of their choice, and helps everyone with 4* transition. It could be limited to max of 2x 3*, more on 7 day event vs 3 or 4 day events, or 1x 4* that will eat up ~80-85 % of all charge possible in the event so you need to play hard to get it. it helps solve the 20 iso reward problem as well. the events with nodes with one big reward should still give the reward but also charge meter. the decision to charge is given after reward has been determine, so you can selectively charge while skimming the top rewards. there can be other rewards top rewards like 20k iso or 300-500 hp you can spend charge on, maybe possibly a 5 pack(? was thinking 10 pack at first but seemed too good) of event tokens at the same level of the 4* reward if you are feeling lucky.

let me know what you think.
  • OneenO
    OneenO Posts: 75 Match Maker
    MarvelMan wrote:

This is a really fun idea.

2 pvps where u get to decide your featured hero but player pools are combined. So if I pick Magnetic Mayhem i would still come across players that picked Blue Shift. Could just make the middle node a Blue Shift node where all opponents have QS.

Sounds like fun icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    I would split it in an entirely different way. The game should let you compete in Hard, Medium, Easy PvP:
    * Hard would allow all characters to be matched and played.
    * Medium would allow 1*, 2*, 3* to be matched and played.
    * Easy would allow 1*, 2* to be matched and played.
    * There would be separation scores for different prizes.

This would do several things:
    * Allow all levels of competitors to play.
    * Encourage players to keep their 2* characters and make them useful again.
    * The Hard PvP is still what we have today, so nothing is taken away.

This would benefit D3's business case:
    * Players might pay for a roster slot instead of dropping a 2*
    * Players might pay for more shields