"Reset" Covers

yogi_
yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Given this game is good at doing short-medium workarounds for long-term problems, here is a suggestion.

It's purpose is a sort of half solution to allowing you to pick the colour for the character you get the cover for.

How does it work, you may ask?

Each character gets a "Reset Covers" button. Your character has X number of covers already and when you click the "Reset Covers" button (and after the confirmation pops up), it redistributes the number of covers you have into 3 even groups with any leftovers starting from the top down.

You character has:
1 cover in total, your character becomes 1/0/0*
2 covers in total, your character becomes 1/1/0**
3 covers in total, your character becomes 1/1/1
4 covers in total, your character becomes 2/1/1*
5 covers in total, your character becomes 2/2/1**
6 covers in total, your character becomes 2/2/2
7 covers in total, your character becomes 3/2/2*
8 covers in total, your character becomes 3/3/2**
9 covers in total, your character becomes 3/3/3
10 covers in total, your character becomes 4/3/3*
11 covers in total, your character becomes 4/4/3**
12 covers in total, your character becomes 4/4/4
13 covers in total, your character becomes 5/4/4*

* A useful extension of this plan allows you to place one cover where you would like it.
** A very useful extension of this plan allows you to place two covers where you would like them.

Because the devs will need to have something in it for them, for either each leftover cover or the whole process, they could charge a small HP or ISO fee. I am aware this would probably reduce (or replace) purchased covers but a fee would partly make up for it and would likely lead to an increase in smaller purchases. (Yes... I know it's going to be an HP fee, but please don't make it too big; I don't even have enough for covers slots as it is).

So, you can collect and use covers as you currently do and/or you can use the semi-automated system.

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    What, you don't like getting 9 IW yellow covers and 9 X-Force green covers, and only 1 of each other covers for those characters?

I currently have 12 *** covers in my Rewards Waiting queue, all for characters I already have max covers on. I keep getting the same ones over and over again, and yet I do not have a fully covered 3hor, Psylocke, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Cyclops, Beast, Falcon, Kamala Kahn. 3hor has been the most ELUSIVE tinykitty ever. I have maxed covers on all of my other 3* characters and struggling to find all of the ISO to fill them out.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree completely. I understand the initial thought when it was built - but initial thought was also you didn't get to re-spec.

With the rarity of 4* covers (specifically) combined with the many 4*/3* characters that now exist, it's getting more and more difficult each character release to get the cover you actually need.

Being able to select the cover would be fantastic. Just when you draw it in tokens would be fine - so if you battle for a reward you don't need that's on you, but if you draw a cover for a character you need, that is never a bad thing.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    I'd like to see the addition of "rainbow" cover that allows you to use it on any of the 3 colors you want. Give it 1/3 the draw rate of the standard covers. So for example your red/yellow/green LThor covers still exist, but additionally a "rainbow" cover could be found that lets you boost either red, yellow, or green ability by one. Make it top 50 PvP or one of the top 25 PvP covers or something like that.

Also a "gold cover" that does the same thing but for any character (I suppose this is really just 1250 HP).
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they could just change the selling of a 3* cover to 50Hp instead of 500 iso... this would help quite a bit as well.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Malcrof wrote:
    If they could just change the selling of a 3* cover to 50Hp instead of 500 iso... this would help quite a bit as well.

They used to be sellable for HP......that got massively abused as many people with the chars fully covered fought over top spots just to sell the covers. Of course this was before shields which change the HP dynamic.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

They used to be sellable for HP......that got massively abused as many people with the chars fully covered fought over top spots just to sell the covers. Of course this was before shields which change the HP dynamic.

I am finally at the point where i have to sell more covers than i can use.. but some chars are drastically unbalanced... R&G for example.. 1/3/5, but have had to sell probably close to double digits of his blue cover.

Maybe they can institute a point system. Sell a 3* cover for some sort of points usable on that character to upgrade an ability?
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Malcrof wrote:
    MarvelMan wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

I am finally at the point where i have to sell more covers than i can use.. but some chars are drastically unbalanced... R&G for example.. 1/3/5, but have had to sell probably close to double digits of his blue cover.

Maybe they can institute a point system. Sell a 3* cover for some sort of points usable on that character to upgrade an ability?

Id love to see something like that. It frustrates me to no end selling my 8th Electra black while she is sitting at 2/5/1.....or 9th KK green...with her at 4/1/5, or my 7th QS blue with a 2/5/2.....and I could go on and on if I could remember the other chars that Ive have since fully covered, but which took me forever. Even if the sale/redemption rate was way in their favor, and a minor HP charge was incurred while redeeming the points....like 5 points for a 3*, 10 for a 4* (with 1pt for each 3* and 2pts for a 4* when cashed in, plus ~100 HP to use).
  • You can basically already do this with 2 covers of a character using the existing respec ability.

What I would like to see is the ability to 15 cover a guy, and then assign which 13 covers you are actually using for a character through the training interface. That way it doesn't take collecting extra covers to respec (twice if you want to go back) to change a build. So you have 10 health packs right now? Clearly 3/5/5 Groot is going to serve you better in this PvE node than a 5/3/5 right now. Oh but now you are down to 4? Time to break out regenerating Groot at 5/3/5.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    respec is good only at the point where you have 4 or more covers in each power and you want change the build. until then you are stuck. like others pointed out, you get into trouble where you get one color heavy and they just keep coming. they can add a feature that if you have 5 covers in that color you can use it as a different color, or just get rid of the covers and make them colorless cause it is mostly random which color you are going to get anyways.

or even add a reward that lets you reset your covers. it would remove all covers and ask you to reassign them per your choosing ie. if you started with a 1/3/5 you remake into 3/4/2 or 5/4/0. the good thing about making it an item they can give one to everybody when they "balance" a character and will limit the complaints if the the "balance" was done correctly.
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    Lerysh wrote:
    You can basically already do this with 2 covers of a character using the existing respec ability.

What I would like to see is the ability to 15 cover a guy, and then assign which 13 covers you are actually using for a character through the training interface. That way it doesn't take collecting extra covers to respec (twice if you want to go back) to change a build. So you have 10 health packs right now? Clearly 3/5/5 Groot is going to serve you better in this PvE node than a 5/3/5 right now. Oh but now you are down to 4? Time to break out regenerating Groot at 5/3/5.

This^^

That's what I want from this game probably the most besides all top prizes being awarded before the consolation prize kicks in.
  • Turbosmooth
    Turbosmooth Posts: 213
    All the covers should have been color ambiguous from the start. They should do that going forward plus allow you to rebalance (for a fee?). They would probably need to charge for that since they will be "losing revenue" otherwise.
  • ThePLAV
    ThePLAV Posts: 28
    There's an idea I read a while ago that I really liked.

Basically, you could collect 5/5/5, but you could only loadout a toon with a max of 13 covers, letting you use different builds depending on your teammates. Good for 2* Hawkeye, whose ideal build depends on who he's paired with; and IM40, whose Yellow could be intentionally under-covered without sacrificing levels.
  • I'd also be fine with a "color converter" function of the cover queue, where you pay an HP fee (maybe 50% purchase price) and your 6th redflag.png Thor cover can become your 5th greenflag.png Thor cover. Effectively a 50% discount for "I has cover in hand". This way the dozens of Green Hulk covers from The Hulk event could actually prove mildly useful.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Given the low odds of pulling a specific colour, and the ever increasing pool of 4* and 3* characters, the ability to respec should be included. I understand that when the pool was lower, it made more sense not to include this, but there is no reason not to alter it now. It could be like in Marvel Heroes (not wanting to hark on about it, but they have a good system for this) where you have points for the powers, and you assign as you like, initially for a small amount of $ (probably translates to 100 Hp), but now the system is free, as many respecs as is needed.

Of course, one simple thing for me, would be a free respec anytime a character is buffed/nerfed, as this seems fair to me.