Anyone else in this boat?

Aidonis
Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
As someone who almost exclusively pvp's, the recent changes have just about done this game in for me. I play in 30 minute bursts, maybe 2-3 times a day (sometimes less, sometimes more). I also work right around 60 hours a week, so there's times where I miss a day. That said...

Let me be clear, I love having to fight comparable people right out of the gate in pvp, the slog through 2* rosters up to 300 used to bore me to tears. But with comparable rosters has come a dramatic increase in match length. I'm lucky to bang out 2-3 matches before I get pulled away. This has added up to 2 top 100 finishes since the scoring change. I used to top 25 every pvp, unless I didn't need the covers, then top 50 would suffice.

So here I am, basically doing the deadpool daily, 1 run through the pve for iso and tokens, and maybe a round or two of whatever the pvp is...because I know that grinding on the pvp is going to net me 700 at the absolute best. My brackets are routinely top 10 over 1000 points.

Worse is I don't really have an answer. I guess I'd like to see the progression rewards lowered, but the folks who play this game hours and hours every day will just smoke it that much faster. Maybe more gauntlet type modes, where you actually play the game instead of compete with folks. I dunno.

I fear this game may have finally passed me by...which is a shame, because I enjoy it. icon_cry.gif

Comments

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I've never done better in PvP than I'm doing right now. 800 is a cinch just watch out for what I named the Icarus Factor, meaning stay out of the top 25 - 50 until your final push.
  • So yea, I'm exactly in your boat...
    I used to end up around 50-25
    but since they change PvP matches I got so much harder opponents, and even tough I fight my way up to around 600 then its just stop because I get attacked and lose more points then I can achieve...

For the webslinger event I ended up rank 128 even tough I really tried my best and shield at 550 just to get my health packs back!

I feel so frustrated right now! Couldn't reach 800 for a Spider-Man cover I really needed or 50-100 rank for an octopus cover I wanted... icon_cry.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rewards were already lowered from 1300. Then through the grace of some benevolent being, they increased the point gains by 50% without increasing the points needed for rewards. Overall most people have seen increases in their overall scoring in PvP but that came with the cost of placement. If your current totals are at 700 at best, what was your totals before the change? 500?
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    i like the fast pace of the early rounds and would play pvp exclusively, i would play from the start and get to 400 then 600 then 700-800 before shielding at that point i would i would decide to go for 1000 or shield up for the end. i like the ramp up in difficulty in the old version cause i could play carefree in the beginning and concentrate/ boost at the last few matches to stick my placement. now with the health boost the games are taking forever and now they are life and death from the beginning and could stop my progress on match 2. the 10 health packs help and the point increase do help until you get to the point where you get hit more then your are hitting. with the matches so intense and crucial from the beginning i lose the will to continue after 5-10 matches and then im over it. which is all i would have to play in the old version. i think these last few changes are are too much for me to roll with, but i am intrigued to see what new changes from the Q&A develop into .
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    you can't have it all but I will say that Progression Rewards > Final Rewards for a transitioner. This change is great for anybody who started in the last 3-6 months.

I myself being over 450 days still welcome it as final rewards don't help me much at this point.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the point change I can start a PVP later and later and play it less and still score 1000 points.

With the new points you can find some really good points and climb really fast. In Spiderman PVP I never went throug 5 health packs. I didn't go through 5 health packs and I did PVE as well.

Overall the point changes are very good and at helping out a lot more people than it is hurting. Sorry OP, if you are hurting because of the change maybe you should start earlier so you can climb higher, or maybe start later to find bigger points. Unfortunately you are in the minority especially since my wife whose highest score before was 800 points has hit 1000 points multiple times this season and is top 25 in her season bracket now.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    mjh wrote:
    This change is great for anybody who started in the last 3-6 months.

Wat?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    mjh wrote:
    This change is great for anybody who started in the last 3-6 months.

Wat?

I'm going to have to agree here really. As a 2* player, you'd be lucky to get to 500 before. I just slipped to 325 in Spider-Man event in 45 minutes. If I would have played for the hour and a half I wanted to, I would have easily gotten to 700+.

You'd never place well without cheesing (and you won't now either), but you'll get a lot more Progression Rewards.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ghostwolf7 wrote:
    So yea, I'm exactly in your boat...
    I used to end up around 50-25
    but since they change PvP matches I got so much harder opponents, and even tough I fight my way up to around 600 then its just stop because I get attacked and lose more points then I can achieve...

For the webslinger event I ended up rank 128 even tough I really tried my best and shield at 550 just to get my health packs back!

I feel so frustrated right now! Couldn't reach 800 for a Spider-Man cover I really needed or 50-100 rank for an octopus cover I wanted... icon_cry.gif

Don't feel too bad, finished at 788 (yes, i got hit while winning the match that would have gotten me the spidey cover) so i just shielded . 788 got me place 122.. was in 87th with an hour to go when i shielded.

Yes, it is much harder to rank, this was my first pvp of the season i missed T100
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played my first PVP of the season this weekend just to see how things have changed. I went to 1k in a single shot. I'd say that's pretty good.
  • Malcrof
    I played my first PVP of the season this weekend just to see how things have changed. I went to 1k in a single shot. I'd say that's pretty good.

only Jamie gets 1000 points in 1 match in PVP, was probably a seed team too, as none of the others dared show..

we are talking about the rest of us, not only the Deities.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the changes, placing in pvp has gotten harder, while progression rewards are easier. I still haven't managed to hit 1000 though. When I get over 800, I always lose more getting hit than I actually get from my attacks... Not sure how to get around that, but it is extremely frustrating.
  • Malcrof
    I am just trying to get enough points for a T100 to let me merc, i really want a red IMHB cover. over 5300 points right now, and still working towards getting enough to be viable.